othervoice1
HackMaster

Oct 1 - Stake Land
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:55 AM   #32
gyhorrorfan07
Maniac

October 1st:

Masters of Horror: Joe Dante's Homecoming (2005)
Undead (2003)
Zombie (1979)
Burial Ground: The Nights of Terror (1980)
The Living Dead At The Manchester Morgue (1974)
Hell of the Living Dead (1981)
House of the Dead (2003)
gyhorrorfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:52 AM   #33
maskull
No Avatar! Boo!

October 01 cont.

Triangle (2009): I'm a fan of Christopher Smith's movies but for some reason hadn't gotten around to seeing this one. I really liked it! You may need to be a little bit patient with it, and at times it's a bit frustrating but in the end...well let's just say it worked for me, tho it left me feeling a little sad. Definitely a thinker, but nothing so heavy that it gets confusing.

Needed something a little light after watching Triangle so....

Venom (2005): 2000s slasher flick with a touch of voodoo thrown in. I keep thinking that I really like this movie but then every time I watch it is pretty standard stuff.

Total watched so far: 5

Last edited by maskull; 10-02-2012 at 02:55 AM.
maskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:54 AM   #34
dave13
HackMaster

I'd seen this long ago when it was first released on video, and didn't remember being all that impressed. However, it took me a while to develop an appreciation for anthology films, so i thought i'd give it another go. well, its still not a good movie, but it is, for some reason, very watchable. especially the first story, "Chattery Teeth". The characters and their back and forth dialogue as tensions mount in the van is fairly entertaining. of course, the weakest scene in this story is when the teeth actually attack - there's just no way to make it not look ridiculous. "The Body Politic", on the other hand (heh heh heh), is fairly poor. there are a few entertaining scenes of mayhem once the hands start to rebel, but Matt Frewer isn't much of a leading man, in my opinion. he gets better as he becomes more manic towards the end, but at the same time we have the terribly animated cgi-hands throughout the last half of this episode. There does happen to be a pretty decent high-fall stunt at the end, though - that's always nice to see.

in fact, the choice of stories is so bizarre, it almost makes me think Mick Garris chose them for this very reason - there's just no way to make these concepts cinematically frightening. they're just too silly-looking. i'll have to listen to his commentary sometime soon to see what his rationale was behind the film.

the wraparound stories with Christopher Lloyd are a mixed bag too. Lloyd seems to be having fun, but his orange hair and goth clothes (complete with leather choker) are almost as silly as attacking metal teeth and rebellious hands.

But still, I wasn't bored. It was entertaining. Just kind of in a bad way.

Last edited by dave13; 10-02-2012 at 08:40 PM.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:08 AM   #35
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

October 1

Chillerama (2011)

Just...no. I turned this one off at the "Deathication" segment. No thanks. I thought all the stories were juvenile and pretty terrible, despite a fun transition from the opening into the present day. Other than that? Unfortunate.

Hoping to salvage the night with an episode of Eerie, Indiana.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.

Last edited by Workshed; 10-02-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #36
DVD-fanatic-9
Tough Lover

October 2nd

Movie #4, around 4:15 AM -
Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 2 (1987 / directed by Lee Harry) -

Um...

I...

This movie...

is a work of genius.

I don't have a single complaint. Not. One. It was brilliant. Every scene was smart. Eric Freeman was terrible. And I loved every second of him. The filmmakers were trying to make a REALLY good movie and, by majority opinion, they failed by casting this guy. But... he's fucking hilarious. Every last second of him onscreen is wonderful. The Chip scenes are the only sections of the movie I couldn't read. But every other scene was perfect. They re-used clips from the first movie in a way that almost made me think it was a good movie. The movie theater scene also set-up a pre-Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer commentary on modern movie killers and serial killing right in the heart of America (even though this movie looks older, bright and sickeningly polished- which, again, I'm not complaining about). This thing was smart. It used sex both as a witting movie element (on movies) and more intelligently than the first film (in this case- I'm talking about the sex crime / moral judgment aspect in particular). It was highly unpredictable, sharp as a knife, expertly shot and edited, and fantastically entertaining. I had a smile on my face you could MEASURE. Along with Exorcist II, this is one of the funniest horror films I have ever seen in my life. I haven't had this much fun with a movie in a long time. I highly recommend it.

Movie #5, around 11:00 AM -
Curtains (1983 / directed by Lee Harry) -

This would have made one excellent Tales from the Crypt episode. As a film, it starts and stays strong for almost 50 minutes. After that, it remains a pure tension machine for... no reason. To develop characters who are going to die? Not really- except for maybe 3 of the 6 women auditioning, you can't tell the difference between them. There are just 5 brunettes allowing themselves to be treated like shit by the world's leading sadist. John Vernon is so boring in this movie. Lynn Griffin is the only person worth liking (because her character isn't buying into the whole Game of Bitterness song and dance all but her and I think the garage victim - that's this movie's idea of character development - were playing) and I guess that alone should make the ending obvious. There's only one truly standout murder sequence. So, until the "seduce me with a mask" scene, it's Samantha Eggar's show. Then she basically disappears and... did anyone care whodunit? Awful ending too.

Last edited by DVD-fanatic-9; 10-02-2012 at 05:47 PM.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #37
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Oct.1. The Devil's Advocate (Blu-Ray)-Great film that I had not re-visited since the theatrical run. It also looks and sounds awesome on Blu-Ray.
Great performance by Pacino, one of my favorites alongside Serpico. Even Keanu was pretty good in this, and Charlize Theron looked stunning.
I loved the unconventional blend of courtroom drama and supernatural horror. A minor criticism is that some of the CGI looks shitty, I was surprised to learn that both Baker and Bottin worked on this one.
A solid 4/5.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #38
baggio
HackMaster

October 1st

Phantoms (1998)
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #39
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggio View Post
October 1st

Phantoms (1998)
Spoiler:
Affleck was the bomb in that one, no?
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #40
cjg
Maniac

Oct 1st - The Hole 2011
cjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #41
Paff

Bit of a dilemma here. Last week, Netflix sent me a 4-movie disc of Italian crime flicks. Kinda taking up my time, as well as limiting what I can get sent to me. I think I might just marathon the remaining crime flicks so I can get that off my plate.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #42
hulkyduck
Victim

2nd october

3.The Mummy (1932)
Another amazing restoration. This is how a horror film should be made, full of atmosphere and suspense and like the similarly themed dracula it is all about the performance of the lead that makes this film great, Boris Karloff turns in a memorable performance as good as his role as Frankenstein`s monster which is equally tragic and menacing.
hulkyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #43
spawningblue
Deadite

SPAWNINGBLUE'S 2012 OCTOBER HORROR MOVIE WATCHING

Bold = first time viewing. Rating out of 10.

October
The Evil Dead (1981) 8/10
Jeepers Creepers (2001) 7.5/10
Corpse Bride (2005) 5.5/10

Okay, here we go...

The Evil Dead (1981) - I have always liked this film, but really starting to love it. Still probably my least favourite of the series, but it's a great series so that's not a bad thing. The comedy present in the rest of the series is absent here, instead delivering a bat shit crazy roller coaster ride of terror. Once the madness starts it realyl doesn't let up until the end, and even then.... Bruce Campbell isn't the charismatic lead we are used to but he plays frightened well enough as does the rest of the cast. The real stars of this film though are the chaotic camera movements and the gore spewed all over the room. Great movie to start the month off!

Jeepers Creepers (2001) - I liked the film quite a bit when I first viewed it and nothing has really changed, I stand by that this is one of the best films of the past 12 years. Yes, it does lose a little of it's edge once the monster is fully revealed, but I think it is still very effective, just in a different way. The first half works at really building up the tension and mystery of it all. The truck is a monster on it's own, and I love the scene where you see the villain from afar dispose of some bodies down a pipe. The bottom of the church is a great set piece as well, and this all builds up to a very frightening movie. Unfortunately it loses all of that and becomes a different beast altogether once the monster reveals itself. It then turns into your standard chase and slash film. This is a disappointment after the great set up, but thankfully the monster has a great design, one of the best in recent times, and holds his own. Great film!

Corpse Bride (2005) - I will say this right now. I am not really a fan of any Disney animation or CGI movies, and until Coraline stop motion didn't do much for me either. After Coraline though and a making of doc. showing all the work that went into creating such films, I grew a real appreciation and liking for stop motion animation. I went back and gave Nightmare Before Christmas another viewing and was mesmerized how good it was. A great story, beautiful and creative set/ character design, and the songs (Another genre I'm not a fan of, musicals!) were good for the most part. That is why I was actually kind of looking forward to checking this one out. Unfortunately it was just okay. It was boring for the most part, the songs didn't do anything for me, and the character and set designs were kind of bland. It's wasn't unwatchable or anything, but coming off of Coraline and Nightmare Before Christmas it was a big disappointment.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast

Last edited by spawningblue; 10-04-2012 at 02:09 AM.
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #44
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

October 2nd

4) The Corridor: A fun, disturbing and bloody good time. Even with its small budget, the horror/sci-fi blend is handled well and convincingly. My only major grip would have to be the ending which left me a bit cold. (7/10)

5) Lovely Molly: Really loved this one. Eduardo did a great job with the psychological element, making me constantly question whether or not it was a supernatural force, or all in her head. The subject matter here is very dark and depression, and it all really got under my skin. The ending is very ambiguous, but it made this truly worth while experience. MUST SEE! (8/10)
Old 10-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #45
X-human
I ate my keys

Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Atomic Brain ( Monstrosity ) (1963)

I'm not even sure why that girl screamed in that scene...

Anyways I feel a little dirty that the first MST I threw in was a Mike episode and not a Joel. I'm not a Mike hater by any means but when it's October I'm a bit of a purist for the originals especially when it's the first of the series. This film is joyfully bizarre with its overtly lesbian creep scenes and countless brain swaps with animals. That a black cat would become a vindictive villain dedicating its life to the destruction of another human is superbly madcap. The riffing on this one isn't great but the skits are much better than they usually are and Dr. Fist is one of favorite bits I occasionally perform myself. (The Rhino DVD is missing the stinger at the end while the Shout re-issue reportedly includes it. One more thing to temp a completest like me.)

Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Unearthly (1957)

Somewhat slow going but John Carradine gives a more vigorous performance then we're normally use to here, Tor Johnson's character is called Lobo which is a nice nod to Bride of the Monster and Allison Hayes is smoking hot as usual. The riffing MST3k gives Tor is hysterical and my favorite is when he calls the dog "kitty." I laugh way to much at that one. Feels good to have Joel and the bots here with me for October.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote