Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 10-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #16
zompirejoe
Maniac

Okay, let's get it started up in this piece !

October 1: Silent House(2012) , The Pack (2011)

I have a huge stack of never before seen by me films, so this should be fun !

October 2: Sector 7 , The Traveller , 30 Days of Night
October 3: Blood and Black Lace , Planet of the Vampires
October 4: Torture Garden , The House That Dripped Blood
October 5: Grave of the Vampire , Zoltan Hound of Dracula
October 6: Troll 2 , Remains
October 7: CHUD , Slugs
October 8: Haunted (1976) , The Devil Within Her (1976)
October 9 : Dead Cert , Alien 2 On Earth
October 10: Frightmare (1974) , Scream (1981)
October 11: The Dead Zone , Rituals
October 12: Effects , The Innkeepers
October 13: Curse Of The Devil , Werewolf Shadow
October 14: Black Sunday , Black Sabbath
October 15: Motel Hell, American Horror House, House On Haunted Hill, Return To House On Haunted Hill, Friday The 13th
October 16: Friday the 13th Part 2 / Part 3

october 17:F13 Part 4 & 5
October 18: F13 Part 6 & 7
October 19: F13 Part 8 , Jason Goes To Hell
October 20: Jason X , Pet Sematary
October 21: Pet Sematary 2 , Spike
October 22: Halloween , Halloween 2
October 23: Halloween 3 , Halloween 4
October 24: Halloween 5 , Blade

Last edited by zompirejoe; 10-24-2012 at 10:38 PM.
zompirejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #17
maskull
No Avatar! Boo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zompirejoe View Post
Okay, let's get it started up in this piece !

October 1: Silent House(2012) , The Pack (2011)

I have a huge stack of never before seen by me films, so this should be fun !
How was The Pack? I've been wanting to check it out.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #18
zompirejoe
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskull View Post
How was The Pack? I've been wanting to check it out.
It was not bad, not the greatest but not terrible by any means. The creatures are pretty cool as well. It's worth seeing at least once.
zompirejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #19
DVD-fanatic-9
Tough Lover

Movie #1, around 7:15 AM -
The Granny (1995 / directed by Luca Bercovici) -

The "comedic" performances are flimsy and too broad. This, of course, is because the cast has just about zero talent (except that I've seen Stella Stevens do good work elsewhere). I'd call them annoying but I liked the movie's ideas. Most of them. Unfortunately, the movie's never been released on DVD so, being forced to watch it on YouTube, I can't quite tell how good the gore FX were. It was all a blur. The actress playing Kelly wasn't too bad though. It's amusing enough. The 80-90 minutes fly by.

EDIT: Oh, yes... I almost forgot. Jackie Gleason(?spelling?)'s trophy wife from The Toy has a bit part here. As to be expected, she's fantastic. She should have gotten a bigger part.

Movie #2, around 9:15 AM -
Silent Night, Deadly Night (1984 / directed by Charles E. Sellier, Jr.) -

What an interesting pile of suck. I actually think it started off incredibly strong. The mood was dark and solid, that scene with the grandfather scaring the kid was excellent. The killer Santa scene that followed was flawed (great kid: abandoning his family like that, doesn't even try to save the baby brother- must have really loved them; also- why bother showing us the Santa being a crusty bum who gripes over $30 being the most he can steal?) but I was willing for the sake of the religious stuff (which also works SHOCKINGLY well, in a campy way) to say: it's important to get the kid traumatized. The scenes at the orphanage- I had no problem with. Then, Billy turns into an adult. I was willing to overlook his silly Andy Barclay thing about Santa (especially because the movie isn't shy about showing male skin and this "boy"s got some muscles) but... WTF at the wannabe-Bruce Springsteen tune'd commercial-ready Christmas montage?? After that, it just gets dumber. And dumber. And dumber. Ultimately, the movie loses the entertaining quality to its' awfulness and becomes painfully awful. However... I've been in more pain before. Worst scene (and I've got a list): the little girl on Santa's lap. Um... I do believe even in the 80's parents would not be so cool with a grown man whispering to their children like that. "Wow, he's great- isn't he?" Yeah, lady; he might have just told your daughter he likes to watch little girls peeing for all you know!

Last edited by DVD-fanatic-9; 10-01-2012 at 04:18 PM.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #20
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

I...fell asleep. Dammit!
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #21
X-human
I ate my keys

I like to throw these in at 10PM on 9/30 just before October. I'm not one to watch aliens for Halloween but Orson Welles has made H.G. Wells' opus a must. I've lost my digital copy of WofW but fortunately my old trusty VHS was within easy reach.

The War of the Worlds (1953)

An interesting thing I picked up on was the amount of wastefulness and how much characters take things for granted. Characters throw away things that are half used, dig through other people's stuff and are not the least bit shy about it even at the beginning of the film. There's a certain level of greed that's ignored by the "better" characters which almost seems to come back and haunt them in the end when there's mass panic. It's a nice subtle build of these ideas and along with the general religious theme of the film drive home the notion that God has placed humans as caretakers of this Earth. On the flip side of this it makes you wonder how the Martians got to the point where they were in the film. Did they disown God? Did they waste their resources with greed? They killed a priest and blew up churches, etc. But one has to wonder if God really abandoned them by leaving them on such a spartan planet in the first place. Why should Earth have so much when Mars has so little? These are questions humans still wrestle with today and Mars is a very fitting stand in for the middle east in its own little ways.

Invader ZIM: Germs (2001)

I thought it might be fun to throw this in afterwards as the episode is all about ZIM's reaction to this film. What I really like about this episode is that there is a pair of goggles that lets ZIM see all the germs which they heavily use in the opening but by the end of the episode they mostly show his reactions to things without a POV shot which is really funny. A great episode that is far too short and really left me wanting more. But as I said before I stray always from aliens in October so we'll have to save ZIM for November after I burnout on pure horror.

My ideal plan is always to watch Vampira at midnight on October 1st but again my digital copy was without audio. Unfortunately my back up had similar issues when I streamed it so I'll have to dig out my original DVD-r on this and try it again tonight.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #22
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
The War of the Worlds (1953)

An interesting thing I picked up on was the amount of wastefulness and how much characters take things for granted. Characters throw away things that are half used, dig through other people's stuff and are not the least bit shy about it even at the beginning of the film. There's a certain level of greed that's ignored by the "better" characters which almost seems to come back and haunt them in the end when there's mass panic. It's a nice subtle build of these ideas and along with the general religious theme of the film drive home the notion that God has placed humans as caretakers of this Earth. On the flip side of this it makes you wonder how the Martians got to the point where they were in the film. Did they disown God? Did they waste their resources with greed? They killed a priest and blew up churches, etc. But one has to wonder if God really abandoned them by leaving them on such a spartan planet in the first place. Why should Earth have so much when Mars has so little? These are questions humans still wrestle with today and Mars is a very fitting stand in for the middle east in its own little ways.
I watched this for the first time about a month ago, and it's astonishing. the special effects and design are breathtaking, and there are some genuinely scary moments (like the scene where they hide in the cottage). i thought the religiosity of it was pretty hammy, but it didn't diminish my appreciation for it.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #23
DVD-fanatic-9
Tough Lover

Movie #3, around 11:15 AM -
Nightmares (1983 / directed by Joseph Sargent) -

Anthology film, four stories, they suck. Yadda yadda yadda. The first one starts off with promise (the woman in her car doesn't feel like she can trust anyone), is predictable as all hell, and ends extremely abruptly with a moral twist. Next! Emilio Estevez is an angsty teen who abuses his parents because he's obsessed (ala- Christine) with a video game which turns out to have its' own masterminding personality. Lame! Yawn. Kind of another moral twist. Next! Lance Henriksen is a preacher who's lost his faith, flashbacks (with b.s. dialogue you've heard a million times before: "how can God allow so much suffering," eat me), predictable tragedy (he can't stop dying kids from dying, boo hoo), Duel monster truck chases him then vanishes: Sign From God, now his faith is restored. Hmmm: empty-headed and entirely insulting. Worst of the 4. Next! Alien's Veronica Cartwright and The Thing '82's Richard Masur are husband and wife with rat infestation in their home. Now... this one's not your typical garbage. There actually seems to be a point here and it's not just childish moral hogwash. Not only is the monster rat attack really scary toward the climax but Masur and Cartwright actually have tapped into a serious American problem. He's literally domineering and controlling to the point of being a psychopath but he gives himself an excuse for it: money problems. But, his rants have a definite political slant to them. I've heard these arguments myself. THIS YEAR. Verbatim. The only thing missing is "I work for a living" (she doesn't have a job) and these arguments could be applied to the problem some people have with people on welfare, social security, or government assistance. The movie even establishes tensions at his job during the first breakfast scene. Well, anyway, then the rat attacks and... I was on the edge of my seat... THEN... the house goes Exorcist on us. That's right: the rat has supernatural powers. Check, please!
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #24
hulkyduck
Victim

1st october

1.Dracula (1931)
Watching this new blu-ray transfer is like seeing the film for the first time. Lugosi gives the perfect performance as the blood sucking count to which all others will be compared.
In all a near perfect restoration bringing new life to this classic.
hulkyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #25
maskull
No Avatar! Boo!

October 01 cont.

Bait (2012):
The fx aren't anything spectacular, way too much bad cgi. The acting isn't particularly good, the dialogue can be pretty atrocious and it takes too long for things to start happening...but it's a movie about great white sharks trapped in a mall with a group of people after a tsunami has hit the coastline, so it gets points for that alone. Kind of disappointing but worth a watch if you like bad shark movies.

Severance (2006): One of my favourite October movies to watch. It's funny, it's gory at times, it's pretty much awesome!
Old 10-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #26
Hellbilly
Water-squirting greatness

10/01/12 Filmcount: 1

Spawn: Director's Cut (1997)

Far from perfect but still entertaining enough. John Leguizamo definitely steals the show. Enjoyed those "ancient" late 90s CGI effects. 3.5/5
Old 10-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #27
hulkyduck
Victim

1st october

2.The Wolfman (1941)
Another universal classic undergone an amazing restoration. The very first horror film i seen as a kid and still one of my favorites. lon Chaney Jr is the very likeable lead but it is Bela Lugosi as the gypsy Bela that as usual steals the show in his 5 or so minutes in this movie.
hulkyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #28
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

October 1st

1) ATM: An insipid, dull, and stupid slasher movie. The characters are boring and had SO many opportunities to escape it just became frustrating. Skip it! (4/10)

2) Silent House (2012): Not bad as far as remakes go. Elisabeth Olsen did an amazing job, and really kept me interested through out. But, much like the original film, this one didn't offer any particularly new or original to the table. It's really just your standard spook house film, for the most part. (6.5/10)

3) Piranha DD: UGH! Words can't describe how much I didn't like this movie. A boring premise, uninteresting characters, one too many subplots that led nowhere, and some of the most painfully unfunny comedy I've seen in a while. There is a lot of gore and nudity, but everything is really what drags this one down, not even the Hoff could save it. (4/10)
Old 10-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #29
MisterTwister
HackMaster

October 1st:

Return of the Living Dead Part II (1988)-8/10
Chopping Mall (1986)-10/10
Cold Prey II (2008)-9/10
C.H.U.D. II; Bud the Chud (1989)-8/10

Last edited by MisterTwister; 10-02-2012 at 02:13 AM.
MisterTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #30
Silent Noize
Maniac

October 1st

01. Murders in the Zoo (1933)