Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
hots4
Stalker

Would you like your Panasonic DMP-BD30 Region free blu without chipping? Read on.

So i have a Panasonic DP-BD30 machine, which has already been chipped for region free playback (by changing the region through the remote control), however after playing around i've found a way to make the machine region free (BD playback only) on ALL models, no chipping required and here's how:

put in the disc, once you get the wrong region message, press the BD/SD button at the bottom of the remote, you will then get a message saying no SD card inserted, here press the return button, at this point it will take you back to the panasonic main screen, then press the top menu button, and hey presto, your disc will start playing, i've done this on about 8 or 9 discs now and it plays all of them, i think this will work on all panasonic players that have a SD/BD button, probably other players as well, but obviously i can't confirm, it definately works on this model so if you guys want a region free player then this has got to be the way to go (with pal and ntsc playback as well so no problems with the extras!!!), i'm sure you can pick this model up pretty cheap now. let me now how you get on with this.

Last edited by hots4; 09-22-2012 at 06:06 PM.
hots4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
Steel76
Maniac

Cool!

Gonna try this on a friends Panasonic player (region B) tomorrow

Thanks for the trick!
Old 09-23-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
hots4
Stalker

not a problem, got another great one, after playing around on my mates player this afternoon, this could work on ALL players, so feedback from you guys would be great.

Anyway, this next one works on the panasonic DMP BD75, and it's so simple it hurts, put in your blu ray, as the machine starts to read the disc, press stop, you need to press it a few times, but once the disc stops, press the top menu button and hey presto, the blu ray plays, we tried this on 2 discs today and they both played, as i say this could work on ALL players, which is massive, so guys please have a go and post your findings.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:01 AM   #4
Paff

Was this non-region 1 Blus or DVDs you tried this on? I ask because I have a butt-ton of import DVDs, and I still have to keep my old region-free DVD player in my setup. I'd love to be able to play everything on one machine.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:50 AM   #5
dickieduvet
Maniac

Only works with some titles, Been using this method for the last few years here in the UK, Most Criterion releases work here in the UK with this trick as they are region A locked for us Brits!
dickieduvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
hots4
Stalker

Quote:
Was this non-region 1 Blus or DVDs you tried this on? I ask because I have a butt-ton of import DVDs, and I still have to keep my old region-free DVD player in my setup. I'd love to be able to play everything on one machine.
it was Blu's that this worked on, did not try dvd's but can try this evening and post results.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #7
Eddyw78
Stalker

Just tried this with some region 1 DVDs and couldnt get it to work on the Panasonic bd80. Havent got any region a blus as im reluctant to buy them just incase this little trick doesent work. Lets hope if it is official that it works that Panasonic dont hear of it as they may do something in the next firmware update to stop our fun
Eddyw78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #8
hots4
Stalker

Quote:
Just tried this with some region 1 DVDs and couldnt get it to work on the Panasonic bd80. Havent got any region a blus as im reluctant to buy them just incase this little trick doesent work. Lets hope if it is official that it works that Panasonic dont hear of it as they may do something in the next firmware update to stop our fun
Just try one of the blu ray's you own, if you can stop the disc from starting up and then access the feature from the top menu button then i would definately say it will work on another region disc. I did not think these would work with dvd's as the top menu button is a blu ray specific command. it's a shame it doesn't, but the region free blu is i'm sure what most people will be excited about.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
Eddyw78
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hots4 View Post
Just try one of the blu ray's you own, if you can stop the disc from starting up and then access the feature from the top menu button then i would definately say it will work on another region disc. I did not think these would work with dvd's as the top menu button is a blu ray specific command. it's a shame it doesn't, but the region free blu is i'm sure what most people will be excited about.
That is very true. I may pick up a cheap region a disc from Amazon or Fleabay just to make sure. I dont want to spend a fortune on Criterion or Shout releases to find out i cant get them to work.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
Eddyw78
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickieduvet View Post
Only works with some titles, Been using this method for the last few years here in the UK, Most Criterion releases work here in the UK with this trick as they are region A locked for us Brits!
You say it only works on some titles. Are these from specific companies or does it seem to be random?
Old 09-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #11
hots4
Stalker

Quote:
I have not tried that many disc, but would imagine it would work on ALL, if the player allows for the stop button to be pressed on one disc, then i would imagine it would allow on all, i can't be certain, but would imagine this to be the case.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #12
Eddyw78
Stalker

Would be interesting to know if any other Panny user can confirm this. Suppose all i can do is get a region a locked blu and try ot out.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #13
Paff

Hots4, I assume you're in the UK? (there's a bit of Britspeak in some of your posts, you use phrases like "get on" and "mates")

I ask that, because I know a lot of these region mods are one way. As in, they'll work for non-Region 1 (or A) people to enable them to play US discs, but if you get the model designed for the US, the mods don't work...

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #14
Eddyw78
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Hots4, I assume you're in the UK? (there's a bit of Britspeak in some of your posts, you use phrases like "get on" and "mates")

I ask that, because I know a lot of these region mods are one way. As in, they'll work for non-Region 1 (or A) people to enable them to play US discs, but if you get the model designed for the US, the mods don't work...
Are we talking about mods here or just simply pressing buttons. I thought this was to be region free without chipping?
Old 09-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #15
hots4
Stalker

i am from the uk yes, there is no mod chipping required this is about getting round the region coding by button pressing so there is a chance all machines can be bypast this way. my dmp30 model is from the us and this is the model i tested. so where the model is from should not be a problem.