Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 01-03-2013, 02:01 AM   #61
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I watched the Death Ship BD over this past weekend…solid job indeed, especially for such a small and niche label like Scorpion. I was surprised by the level of detail in the transfer. And the colors in the opening costume party scene are pretty eye-catching. Death Ship is also such an eerie slow-burn masterpiece.

Great release all around…looking forward to future HD releases from Scorpion and Code Red.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:12 AM   #62
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropophagus View Post
I always came close to renting The Incubus but never did, is it any good? Is it really as nasty as people say it is with the rape angle? Always sounded like a strange, perverse film to me.
I've always liked the film.

I wouldn't call it that "nasty" in comparison to today's films. For the time some of the scenes might have been a bit shocking I guess, but even for the 80's I really wouldn't consider it that extreme. I certainly know of many more films that have rape plot angles and are far more disturbing.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:17 AM   #63
ronnie21
HackMaster

does death ship have any nudity in it???
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:41 AM   #64
The Tall Man
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie21 View Post
does death ship have any nudity in it???
Very minimal. There is one shower scene that go's for a few minutes, apart from that zilch.
The Tall Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:45 AM   #65
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tall Man View Post
Very minimal. There is one shower scene that go's for a few minutes, apart from that zilch.
Yeah but that shower scene is awesome. You get boobs and 80's style snatch....all covered in blood!
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:41 AM   #66
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

I think I need to re-visit Death Ship as I was just too young to appreciate it first time around.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #67
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropophagus View Post
I always came close to renting The Incubus but never did, is it any good? Is it really as nasty as people say it is with the rape angle? Always sounded like a strange, perverse film to me.
I wrote about it briefly here, which does address that the depictions of rape in the film are extremely nasty and violent... but it is, in my opinion, a brilliant and chilling horror film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuxploitation
John Cassavetes chalked up another supernatural religious thriller on his resume with 1981′s INCUBUS, a heavy horror effort featuring possibly the most violent depictions of rapes ever committed to celluloid. And the cause of these rapes and murders not only involves witchcraft and a town secret, but a real nasty demon within that transforms its hosts to get out. I don’t know what’s more horrifying—the demon itself, or the amount of times Cassavetes says “sperm.” A seriously spooky Canadian gem that also features a few kick ass tracks from Canadian rockers FM used to brilliant effect on the soundtrack.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #68
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Thanks, I never enjoyed the I Spit On Your Grave, Demented or Last House films but the supernatural element here has got me intrigued.
I may have to check this out.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:59 AM   #69
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Watching DeathShip now on Blu, and I must say the video quality is amazing - impressive transfer!
Old 01-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #70
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Not to stop any conversation, but I did start a thread on THE INCUBUS a few weeks ago:

http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/s...ad.php?t=44353

And I agree with the majority here -- Scorpion's DEATH SHIP is really an excellent looking disc!
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #71
acappa
Screamy Bopper

If anyone is interested in Death Ship, amazon warehouse deals is selling it for $5.07. Says used, but a lot of people on blu-ray.com are reporting that their copies come shrink wrapped.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used
acappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #72
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by acappa View Post
If anyone is interested in Death Ship, amazon warehouse deals is selling it for $5.07. Says used, but a lot of people on blu-ray.com are reporting that their copies come shrink wrapped.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used
That's pretty good, even for used.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #73
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

They are probably re-wrapping them, but still a good deal nonetheless!
Old 10-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #74
Kim Bruun
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce h View Post
And I agree with the majority here -- Scorpion's DEATH SHIP is really an excellent looking disc!
Tower of Evil and The Unseen look pretty cracking as well - I hope these Blu-ray releases will be a financial success for Scorpion, cause I'm very happy with their releases!
Kim Bruun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #75
deepred
Maniac

I picked up Death Ship (never seen) along with The Prowler (never seen) and Elvira's Giant Monsters (never seen) to get free shipping.

I also picked up AHS: Asylum at BB along with the 1978 version of Body Snatchers since it was only $7.99 and came with a $7.50 off coupon for the Carrie remake.