Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 04:45 AM   #1
ronnie21
HackMaster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,614
Just ordred the shout Piranha Blu-ray.78

so what am i in for? i know its a few years late. never got around to it. Hows the picture look?? is it a good buy? thanks..
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:37 AM   #2
Nailwraps
HackMaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,343
This review should give you all the info you need:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Piranh...y/8890/#Review
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
Anthropophagus
HackMaster
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,514
In my opinion, you're in for one of the best and most entertaining films to come out of the JAWS clone era. That one and Humanoids are must buys.
I'm considering Galaxy of Terror, any thoughts on that one? Anyone?
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
deepred
Maniac
 
deepred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropophagus View Post
In my opinion, you're in for one of the best and most entertaining films to come out of the JAWS clone era. That one and Humanoids are must buys.
I'm considering Galaxy of Terror, any thoughts on that one? Anyone?
I purchased both Humanoids and Piranha too - loved 'em. I'm also curious about Galaxy of Terror - I've been thinking of getting that for a while. I love the cast.
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
dave13
HackMaster
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 4,774
galaxy of terror is awesome. just plain awesome.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
crikan
HackMaster
 
crikan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,463
That first year of Shout's Corman line will forever be my favorite time for cult film viewing. I did enjoy PIRANHA very much. It's good campy fun. That said, I enjoyed most the other Corman BD's released around that time just a bit more.

GALAXY OF TERROR is the title I've been most anxious to revist since first seeing it in 2010.


How I'd rank them:
Humanoids from the Deep
Death Race 2000
Forbidden World
Galaxy of Terror
Starcrash
Piranha
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on
 
bigdaddyhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Under a rock
Posts: 12,148
Galaxy of Terror is great sleazy low-budget Alien rip-off fun. The blu is a revelation, it looks twice as good as I ever thought it could. After years of a way too dark full screen download, then a couple years with what I thought was a beautiful anamorphic dvd rip from Italy. The blu crushes them both.

Piranha also looks great on blu, but probably not as substantial and upgrade as Galaxy is. I also have Humanoids and Forbidden World, they did a great job on all of them. I think Galaxy stands out so much more for me as all old transfers looked like shit one way or another. I can see things on the blu I thought were always hidden in shadow, the maggot scene stands out most of all for this.
__________________
"!"

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:00 PM   #8
shape22
HackMaster
 
shape22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,302
Piranha and Humanoids both represent a quantum leap in quality from the old full-frame DVDs. Shout Factory seems to consistently churn out very film-like transfers. You're going to be pleased.

And I agree with Anthro about the quality of the film. There are lots of Jaws clones--and most of them are terrible. This one is a witty delight. You really can't go wrong with a John Sayles script. Alligator is great fun too.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #9
Anthropophagus
HackMaster
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
Piranha and Humanoids both represent a quantum leap in quality from the old full-frame DVDs. Shout Factory seems to consistently churn out very film-like transfers. You're going to be pleased.

And I agree with Anthro about the quality of the film. There are lots of Jaws clones--and most of them are terrible. This one is a witty delight. You really can't go wrong with a John Sayles script. Alligator is great fun too.
Agreed, about Alligator, a childhood favorite-that actor that played the tormented, balding cop was hilarious. It was also great to see a monster movie that featured the titular beast so much.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:08 PM   #10
shape22
HackMaster
 
shape22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropophagus View Post
that actor that played the tormented, balding cop was hilarious.
Robert Forster! One of my favorites. Watching the man act in Jackie Brown makes you wonder how the hell he ended up playing turban-wearing Arab terrorists in 80s Golan Globus films. Thank God QT pulled him out of the slag heap.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #11
WesReviews
HackMaster
 
WesReviews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Pikeville, KY
Posts: 1,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
Robert Forster! One of my favorites. Watching the man act in Jackie Brown makes you wonder how the hell he ended up playing turban-wearing Arab terrorists in 80s Golan Globus films. Thank God QT pulled him out of the slag heap.
He was great in The Delta Force, though.
__________________
"This Scientology stuff for real? Sounds like some weird cult you'd find in a Troma movie." - S-10

Oh, The Horror! Reviews - Horror movie reviews... all decades, all sub-genres.
ACTION ALLIANCE - Action film talk with action film fans.

"Life differs from the play only in this... it has no plot, all is vague, desultory, unconnected till the curtain drops with the mystery unsolved." - Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
WesReviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #12
DVD-fanatic-9
Tough Lover
 
DVD-fanatic-9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Horror
Posts: 3,259
You know, it's thanks to all this praise from people like you that I saw Humanoids a few months ago.

And do you know what? It was awful. The only thing anyone might have wanted to see the film for was tits. I would have given it some credit for acting if the story had been any good. Or cinematography, since it didn't look bad, but the wretched characters and stupid monsters kept getting in the way of the gorgeous locations. The thing itself might have been a rip-off of Piranha if it weren't for the impregnation shitplot (I mean subplot). I really don't see how they fucked it up so bad after Joe Dante showed them how to do intelligent socio-political horror filmmaking correctly. Except that: who's idea was it to incorporate a parable about racial insensitivity into a movie about fucking RAPE in the first place? Let alone one as one-dimensional, manipulative, and insulting as this one. If the movie weren't aggressively offensive to anyone who isn't white, it would still be offensive to every woman on the planet. And that's saying something since one of the directors was a woman. I have a feeling she was the one who wanted the movie to be about the discrimination plot and the man was the one who filmed all the tits. Wow, how impressive: women used as an upper for a fucking puppet and as cheap props for monsters to play around with like Looney Tunes' Abominable Snowman manhandling Daffy Duck. What a wide world of equal opportunity this film envisioned. Of course, let's take the director at her own word: "Please God, donít let me die and have this be my epitaph."
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #13
Anthropophagus
HackMaster
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
You know, it's thanks to all this praise from people like you that I saw Humanoids a few months ago.

And do you know what? It was awful. The only thing anyone might have wanted to see the film for was tits. I would have given it some credit for acting if the story had been any good. Or cinematography, since it didn't look bad, but the wretched characters and stupid monsters kept getting in the way of the gorgeous locations. The thing itself might have been a rip-off of Piranha if it weren't for the impregnation shitplot (I mean subplot). I really don't see how they fucked it up so bad after Joe Dante showed them how to do intelligent socio-political horror filmmaking correctly. Except that: who's idea was it to incorporate a parable about racial insensitivity into a movie about fucking RAPE in the first place? Let alone one as one-dimensional, manipulative, and insulting as this one. If the movie weren't aggressively offensive to anyone who isn't white, it would still be offensive to every woman on the planet. And that's saying something since one of the directors was a woman. I have a feeling she was the one who wanted the movie to be about the discrimination plot and the man was the one who filmed all the tits. Wow, how impressive: women used as an upper for a fucking puppet and as cheap props for monsters to play around with like Looney Tunes' Abominable Snowman manhandling Daffy Duck. What a wide world of equal opportunity this film envisioned. Of course, let's take the director at her own word: "Please God, don’t let me die and have this be my epitaph."
You are aware of the term 'exploitation film', a term which has been applied to Corman's catalog extensively. It's also called Humanoids From The Deep and the poster art is hardly misleading-were you expecting Fried Green Tomatoes or Driving Miss Daisy? The shit you criticize so vehemently in this post is exactly what most fans of late seventies and eighties horror look for. Aspects the genre has become known for: Silly effects, laughable subplots, excessive T&A, subpar acting, violence, and a degree of unfortunate misogny which is intrinsic to North American society not just horror films. I suppose the woman getting a blade in her vagina in The Mutilator was not misogynistic at all? How about the twenty minute rape scene in I Spit On Your Grave which borders on rape porn not unlike Forced Entry? The woman getting hung up like a piece of meat in Texas Chainsaw Massacre?
'What a wide world of equal opportunity this film envisioned. Of course, let's take the director at her own word'-You were expecting a film with Humanoids in the title to become some sort of beacon for the feminist movement? Is that it?
Really criticizing an exploitation film for being exploitative is akin to criticizing gangsta rap for promoting criminal ideology-moot point-either you can live with it or not, if not don't watch or listen.
You didn't like it, it seems like tons of people on this board did, refer to the recent poll for more evidence. You can always stick to homogenized shit like Scream and I Know What You Did Last Summer.

Last edited by Anthropophagus; 07-25-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #14
shape22
HackMaster
 
shape22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
What a wide world of equal opportunity this film envisioned.
Applying silly PC standards to Roger Corman genre films is a losing proposition. It sounds like you'd be happier watching ridiculously manipulative Hollywood "evil white people" propaganda like Haggis's Crash. And were you really expecting something as stately and respectable as Wise's The Haunting from a film called Humanoids From The Deep? I have a tough time believing anyone could approach this film 32 years post-release with expectations as out of whack as yours.

Filmmakers like Corman and Kaufman made films like this to amuse people frustrated by the boundaries of polite society--and to anger close-minded reactionaries. Congratulations for taking the bait.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #15
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on
 
bigdaddyhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Under a rock
Posts: 12,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
You know, it's thanks to all this praise from people like you that I saw Humanoids a few months ago.

And do you know what? It was awful. The only thing anyone might have wanted to see the film for was tits. I would have given it some credit for acting if the story had been any good. Or cinematography, since it didn't look bad, but the wretched characters and stupid monsters kept getting in the way of the gorgeous locations. The thing itself might have been a rip-off of Piranha if it weren't for the impregnation shitplot (I mean subplot). I really don't see how they fucked it up so bad after Joe Dante showed them how to do intelligent socio-political horror filmmaking correctly. Except that: who's idea was it to incorporate a parable about racial insensitivity into a movie about fucking RAPE in the first place? Let alone one as one-dimensional, manipulative, and insulting as this one. If the movie weren't aggressively offensive to anyone who isn't white, it would still be offensive to every woman on the planet. And that's saying something since one of the directors was a woman. I have a feeling she was the one who wanted the movie to be about the discrimination plot and the man was the one who filmed all the tits. Wow, how impressive: women used as an upper for a fucking puppet and as cheap props for monsters to play around with like Looney Tunes' Abominable Snowman manhandling Daffy Duck. What a wide world of equal opportunity this film envisioned. Of course, let's take the director at her own word: "Please God, donít let me die and have this be my epitaph."
All I can say to this is watch the 'making of' from the BD, it will explain why everything you hate about this movie is there. The actors literally thought they were making a drama with a different title, producers came in later with gore and tits add-ins the director hates and no one knew what they were seeing when it premiered. Funny story in many ways, very sad story in many other ways, but certainly entertaining an enlightening in all ways.
__________________
"!"

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1999-2012 Horrordvds.com

No text or images from this site may be reprinted or used elsewhere without express consent from Horrordvds.com