Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 05-29-2012, 03:19 AM   #1
Paff

The Shrine

Was surprised there wasn't already a thread for this. I Netflix'd it after seeing the very positive review it got on DVDtalk.com, and found it quite enjoyable. I was worried it was a Hostel rip-off at first, with the theme of missing American tourists in Eastern Europe, but thankfully it's nothing like that at all (even though I do like Hostel a bit). No, this one deals with bizarre rituals, and features a nice little twist late in the film. I'm purposely being vague, but I do recommend the film. Especially for those in the "horror is dead" crowd that thinks the last good horror film came out in like 1984 or something. There's good movies being made all the time. You just gotta find 'em.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:39 AM   #2
zompirejoe
Maniac

A saw this a few months ago on Netflix streaming. I was very pleased with it as well ! Definitely not a boring film, and it does have a cool payoff.
zompirejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:46 AM   #3
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I saw it a few months ago on Netflix as well. Nothing amazing, but surprisingly decent. I really liked the twist at the end.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:56 AM   #4
eric_angelus
Testacular

One of my favorite discoveries this year. I found it on netfilix and gave it a shot without knowing anything about it in advance.
eric_angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:18 AM   #5
Darga
Narcissistic Personality

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll have to check it out.
Darga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

I saw this a few months back too. Really enjoyed it. It's from the guys who did Jack Brooks Monster Slayer and they didn't disappoint.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
DVDBone
Stalker

I really didn't care for Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer (too much build-up, too little monster slaying) but I thought The Shrine was fantastic. It's definitely one of my favorite horror flicks this year. There's one scene that's incredibly creepy (in the fog) and the ending really delivers. Highly recommended!
DVDBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #8
unclefred
Victim

It was better than I expected. Pretty good for the budget.
unclefred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:56 AM   #9
Ash28M
HackMaster

Saw this a few months back but I don't remember it doing too much for me.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:18 AM   #10
russweiss
Maniac

I thought at first I must have watched a different movie called The Shrine but it's the same. What a terrible, slow, boring film. What twist ending???? I won't give it away but there wasn't really any twist in my opinion. It's been a while since I watched a film where I really wished that every character would simply die. They just kept doing things that no normal/sane person would do. Oh well, I'm glad some others found entertainment value in this but I'm sure a majority would find this on par with the average sci-fi channel flick. Be Warned!
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:36 AM   #11
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by russweiss View Post
I thought at first I must have watched a different movie called The Shrine but it's the same. What a terrible, slow, boring film. What twist ending???? I won't give it away but there wasn't really any twist in my opinion. It's been a while since I watched a film where I really wished that every character would simply die. They just kept doing things that no normal/sane person would do. Oh well, I'm glad some others found entertainment value in this but I'm sure a majority would find this on par with the average sci-fi channel flick. Be Warned!
Really? You thought the characters did things no normal person would do. The lead was annoying with how selfish she was but they were all just normally curious. The moral of the story here is basically "curiosity killed the cat". Oh and don't forget the male character that was very smart
Old 06-02-2012, 07:30 AM   #12
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by russweiss View Post
What twist ending???? I won't give it away but there wasn't really any twist in my opinion.
Well the twist that you seemed to have missed is that
Spoiler:
the seeming villains of the first part of the movie, the crazed villagers with the bizarre rituals are actually trying to SAVE the protagonists from becoming demons.

Can't say I saw that coming. The movie does take a little time to get going, but isn't that the hallmark of so many classic horror films? Most (though certainly not all) of the great horror movies begin slow, establish the mood and the setting, and lull you in until you're trapped like the protagonists.

Not that The Shrine is a "classic" horror film, it's far from it. But I like seeing something new, not always having to go back to a movie I've seen a million times if I want to watch an enjoyable horror film. Something different like this is a nice change of pace.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #13
JIMX1975
Stalker

Watched it last night after hearing about it on here. I liked it.
JIMX1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #14
rhett

It played at our local film fest a couple years ago, the consensus from the group was that it was pretty terrible. Haven't given it much mind since, but I too remember being frustrated with how unlikable the characters were and how unmotivated and boneheaded all their choices were. There were a few good bits with the fog during the first half before it got dark, but the second half of the film was a dark grimy mess that, at least on our print, we couldn't make much out of. The twist was alright, but at that point I was so done with these characters that I couldn't care.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:48 AM   #15
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett View Post
It played at our local film fest a couple years ago, the consensus from the group was that it was pretty terrible. Haven't given it much mind since, but I too remember being frustrated with how unlikable the characters were and how unmotivated and boneheaded all their choices were. There were a few good bits with the fog during the first half before it got dark, but the second half of the film was a dark grimy mess that, at least on our print, we couldn't make much out of. The twist was alright, but at that point I was so done with these characters that I couldn't care.
It was definitely your print that was dark. I never had trouble making anything out in this one.