Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 04-28-2012, 07:25 AM   #1
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

Crystal Lake Memories To Be Made Into A Documentary

Some really exciting news! Peter M. Bracke’s bestselling book "Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of Friday the 13th" with the help of Writer/director Daniel Farrands and producer Thommy Hutson, who previously worked together on the "Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy," are at the helm of turning his book into a full length documentary, and considering how amazing that turned out I can only expect this best from this. Here's the skinny:

Quote:
Inspired by author Peter M. Bracke’s bestselling book, this comprehensive retrospective from Panic Productions and Hutson Ranch Media promises to be the definitive look at the making of the iconic horror franchise.

From its inception in 1980, the Friday the 13th film series has proven to be as unstoppable at the box office as its hockey-masked, machete-wielding villain Jason Voorhees, who has terrorized the fictional town of Crystal Lake for more than 30 years. Since then, Friday the 13th has become a true multimedia juggernaut, having spawned twelve feature films, a syndicated television drama, and an extensive line of merchandise and collectibles. What’s more, revenue figures are as staggering as they are relentless: over 95 million tickets sold and nearly $600 million in domestic box office receipts alone.

Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of ‘Friday the 13th’ promises to give horror fans a unique insider’s look into the iconic horror series, featuring over 100 interviews with cast and crew spanning all twelve films and the television series, many of whom have never before publicly discussed their involvement in the long-running franchise. The documentary is written and directed by Daniel Farrands and produced by Thommy Hutson, who previously combined forces on the most acclaimed horror franchise documentary ever made, 2010’s Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy, an epic four-hour journey that chronicled the making of director Wes Craven’s seminal 1984 shocker and its seven sequels. Independently produced, financed, and released by Farrands and Hutson, Never Sleep Again won the The Academy of Science Fiction and Horror’s prestigious Saturn Award in 2010 for “Best DVD Release” as well as two Home Media Magazine Reaper Awards for “Best Direct-to-Video Release” and “Best of Show.”

"Never Sleep Again is widely-regarded as the definitive retrospective on Freddy Krueger and the eight Nightmare on Elm Street films so we thought it only fitting that Jason, who has appeared in twelve films, be given his due," says writer/director Daniel Farrands, who previously served as editor and co-publisher of the groundbreaking book which inspired the new documentary and produced Paramount Home Entertainment’s Deluxe Edition DVD releases of the Friday the 13th films. A veteran of the horror genre, Farrands wrote the screenplay for Dimension Films’ Halloween 6 and produced Lionsgate’s hit supernatural thriller The Haunting in Connecticut, which grossed $80 million at the box office worldwide. "I literally grew up on the Friday the 13th films,” says Farrands, “and in a very real way the series is responsible for my career in the film industry. It is truly an honor to chronicle the history of the series in a comprehensive documentary that I hope will serve as a worthy companion piece to the films and satisfy the series’ loyal fans.”

Producer Thommy Hutson, who, in addition to Never Sleep Again, also wrote and produced definitive documentaries on Scream and The Return of the Living Dead, agrees. “After exploring the success and making of nightmares, ghost-faced killers, and wise-cracking zombies, the time felt right to document the rise of one of the most well-known, feared, and loved villains of our generation,” he says. “I am thrilled to be part of a project that will undoubtedly be the definitive story of not just Jason Voorhees but the film franchise that created him. It’s a campfire tale long overdue.”

Upon its original release as a collectible hardcover edition in October 2005, Crystal Lake Memories was instantly hailed as one of the most lavish, comprehensive, and meticulously researched books ever created about a film series. Author Peter M. Bracke crafted a narrative as full of shocks and surprises as the films themselves, painting a graphically compelling picture of one of horror’s most enduring franchises. In April 2012 an all-new and fully expanded eBook edition of Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of ‘Friday the 13th’ was released to the iBooks, Kindle, and Nook platforms. “As a life-long fan of Friday the 13th, it was a dream come true to document the series with the original hardcover and electronic versions of Crystal Lake Memories,” says Bracke. “So I am absolutely thrilled that the team behind Never Sleep Again has decided to tackle all things Jason and Friday the 13th. It is simply an amazing honor to be a part of this ‘visual companion piece’ to Crystal Lake Memories, and I can't wait to see it!”

The documentary Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of ‘Friday the 13th’ is slated for a late 2012 release.

Looks like I'm gonna have to trade in my "His Name Was Jason" dvd.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Awesome! The book was a thing to behold, so its hard not to have high hopes for this...

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

The Nightmare on Elm St. one was great, however His Name Was Jason was a steaming pile of crap. Hopefully this will be more like the former than the latter.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Looking forward to this, as His Name Was Jason was pretty worthless.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
SickNick89
Stalker

The one that sorely needs to be redone is the Halloween doc. I'd love to see a comprehensive doc for that franchise.

My DVD Collection:
http://sicknick.dvdaf.com/
SickNick89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #6
ronnie21
HackMaster

i would like to see a doc on halloween II 1981.. soley on that.. Its funny, alot of these actors that star in these sequels we all love and know. dont even like or never heard of horror movies or the first part's. its just a job to them at the time...
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:06 AM   #7
dave13
HackMaster

i like how there's no mention whatsoever about His Name Was Jason in that blurb, despite its obvious relevance. After the amazing achievement of Never Sleep Again, its not surprising that these guys feel they can improve on their Friday the 13th attempt. I think it's great that they're getting a second chance. I'm all for it. Although I may wait a few months after its released, just to make sure they don't suddenly re-release it with an extra commentary track or something.
dave13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:36 AM   #8
shithead
Death By Ejaculation

Boner...

My DVDs
shithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #9
DVD-fanatic-9
What Did I Say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropophagus View Post
His Name Was Jason was a steaming pile of crap.
Yes, it was.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #10
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickNick89 View Post
The one that sorely needs to be redone is the Halloween doc. I'd love to see a comprehensive doc for that franchise.
In thought 25 Years Of Terror was perfect. IMO, every documentary on a film series needs to be like Halloween: 25 Years Of Terror, Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy, and Empire Of Dreams: The Story of The Star Wars Trilogy.
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #11
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

The Psycho Legacy was great too, yet to see the Return of the Living Dead one, but I'm very interested.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #12
DVD-fanatic-9
What Did I Say?

There's definitely room for improvement on the Halloween: 25 Years documentary.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #13
mlock
Stalker

Hey Folks,
Any further updates about this release? I just heard about it.

xboxlive: TwitchofDethNrv
mlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #14
Buechlers_beard
Stalker

Haven't heard anything lately but, there is Halloween and Elm Street books being written in the same vein as the Crystal Lake Memories. Halloween is being written by Justin Beahm, I forget about the other, it was mentioned in an article over at Fangoria recently.
Buechlers_beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:52 AM   #15
Mikey Horror
Maniac

As per the Crystal Lake Memories Facebook page:

Quote:
So a lot of you guys are asking about a release date. We haven't settled on an exact date yet but are hoping for a Summer release and we are hard at work to get this in your hands as soon as possible.

Last edited by Mikey Horror; 03-05-2013 at 12:59 AM.
Mikey Horror is online now   Reply With Quote