Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 01-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
lanemyer774
Victim

Rewind This! VHS Boom & Video Store Documentary

This looks awesome! Check out the trailer.

"Three filmmakers, Josh Johnson, Carolee Mitchell, and Christopher Palmer, are putting together a film called Rewind This, which looks at the rise of video and the video store culture that flourished for years in the ’80s and ’90s, and how those things changed parts of the film business. They’re using Kickstarter to fund the film, but already have interviews with some video-biz luminaries such as Troma’s Lloyd Kaufman."

http://www.slashfilm.com/djinn-trail...itical-horror/
lanemyer774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Josh, an acquaintance of mine, and the rest of the team have been working on this for 2 years now. I strongly suggest you support the doc!

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Looks amazing. Sold.
MisterTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
Demon
Don't Fuck With Dolly!

Great idea for a documentary, however I'd leave out Lloyd Kaufman...he's in everything.

W W W . D E A D P I T . C O M

Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #5
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

I'm lucky enough to still have a few awesome indie video stores in my area. I don't know what I'd do without them. Can't wait to check out this doc. Viva VHS!
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:35 PM   #6
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon View Post
Great idea for a documentary, however I'd leave out Lloyd Kaufman...he's in everything.
And how's that a problem?

Troma VHS tapes were a big part of my youth so I'm glad Lloyd is being interviewed.

Same with Charles Band.
MisterTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:03 AM   #7
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

So when they release this documentary, will they release it on VHS?

It's kind of odd that I feel nostalgia for video stores. It seems like only yesterday I was browsing through such stores, but in reality, it's been about a decade since I've been in a video store that had lots of oddball VHS tapes. Definitely something my kids won't be able to experience growing up.
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:11 AM   #8
Devo1313
Stalker

As a fan of VHS and DVD with over 17,000 VHSs and DVDs I love the idea that people even care nowadays about VHS. When I mentioned I just watched Bury Me An Angel or To All A Goodnight on VHS last night or whatever people stare at me and call me a "caveperson". Where's your flatscreen? Or what about your hi-def? They ask. I love the VHs times and am glad I at least got to experience the days of renting as many as 7 VHSs in one day back in 1984 from local video stores. I would usually rent 7 a day on the weekend and 3-5 on the weekdays to watch after school. Different times indeed. NOw I own a lot of the VHSs I used to rent when various stores closed up. A lot are like collectors items to me since I spent much of time eduting myself with great horror,sci-fi,cult,etc. films from log ago.
Devo1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:53 AM   #9
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon View Post
Troma were also one of the first companies to start licensing titles at the start of the VHS craze, so Lloyd's important to interview for the topic.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
Old 01-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
WesReviews
HackMaster

Backed it. Can't wait to see it! I literally grew up in a video store (my parents'). So my local mom & pop's store was actually... my own mom & pop's.

Oh, The Horror! Reviews - Horror movie reviews... all decades, all sub-genres.
ACTION ALLIANCE - Action film talk with action film fans.

"Life differs from the play only in this... it has no plot, all is vague, desultory, unconnected till the curtain drops with the mystery unsolved." - Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
WesReviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #11
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

This looks really interesting, I've seen tons of documentaries with Bill Margold and he always makes me laugh.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #12
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropophagus View Post
This looks really interesting, I've seen tons of documentaries with Bill Margold and he always makes me laugh.
Also quite funny in the Fantasm flicks, especially when he had to replace John Holmes because Holmes refused to go in the pool.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:29 AM   #13
streetlight
Victim

Sounds great. I love VHS and have bought many from some local stores over the past few years. I don't know how many I have but I am guessing about 2000.

The one thing I regret is not taking pictures of one store had that closed up a couple years ago. When you walked into the VHS section it was like it was 1986. The first time I went there (2006 maybe) I nearly fell on the floor because I was so surprised of their titles, luckily I was there when they sold all their tapes and I bought some good ones, all the slashers of course
streetlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:42 AM   #14
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Love this. The prizes for the Kickstarter campaign are really good. Might have to support this bad boy gettin' off the ground.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:46 AM   #15
hots4
Stalker

I'll definately give this a watch, i used to love the video shop experience when i was a kid, and miss it greatly, it was lots of fun in the early 80's to go into these shops and look at the treasures on the shelf, i always remember seeing deadly spawn, man that cover here in the UK was brutal, i used to stare at it and try to imagine just what delights the film would give me, having to wait quite a few years before getting the chance to experience it, and at around 13 - 14 i used to have a friend from school who used to rent at least one movie a night, i spend a lot of time with him on evenings/weekends so got to see sooo many movies and spend a lot of time in video stores picking some treasured viewing, good good times.

Last edited by hots4; 01-14-2012 at 02:49 AM.
hots4 is offline   Reply With Quote