Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 03-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #16
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Boy View Post
It's the most consistent franchise in terms of quality imo.
What are your criteria for consistency? Returning cast, theme, and story continuity?
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #17
Body Boy
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
What are your criteria for consistency? Returning cast, theme, and story continuity?
In terms of quality and how much I like the film.

I think though that tonally, they're quite different.

Part I - Gothic Horror
Part II - Action Horror
Part III - Comedy Horror
Part IV - Psychological Horror
Body Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:44 PM   #18
Steel76
Maniac

Phantasm 1 (Awesome)
Phantasm 2 (Solid Sequel)
Phantasm 4 (Interesting, but sadly also a huge disappointment)

Can I leave out Phantasm 3? It has itīs moments, but mostly itīs just terrible in a typical early 90:s way, with the annoying sidekicks and comedy.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:57 PM   #19
SickNick89
Stalker

My DVD Collection:
http://sicknick.dvdaf.com/
SickNick89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #20
spawningblue
Deadite

I love this series, and wish Coscarelli would deliver one more to finish the story, even if it does kind of work with how it ended now. I think the series got a little worse with each film, but even four was still great.

Phantasm - A mind trip nightmare of a flick. One of the best horror films of all time.
Phantasm II - A fun action horror movie. Just falling short of the first film.
Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead - Cheesy but I still had a lot of fun with it.
Phantasm IV: Oblivion - It's all over the place and it's budget shows, but it's probably the closet to the first film. There's just something missing though.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #21
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

I'm lukewarm on the Phantasm films I've seen. Much better atmosphere and creepiness factor in the first, but the action and solid pacing of the second kept my attention better.
I have not seen the others, nor do I intend to.
so:
Phantasm II
Phantasm
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #22
Jigsaw
Screamy Bopper

Forgot I even made this thread until I signed in just now. Happy to see the responses.

Anthropophagus, if you liked the first two, the other two are worth a look, though seeing as you only casually liked the first two from the looks of it they may not be up your alley.
Jigsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:51 AM   #23
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

http://bloodbathsandboomsticks.blogspot.com/

I was recently a guest on the cult movie podcast Bloodbaths & Boomsticks for their Phantasm retrospective. It's a fun pod where a few dudes just sit around and talk about all kinds of cult movies. I've guested a few times and listen weekly while at work. The Phantasm retrospective (episode 106 at the link above) goes on for nearly 4 hours, so if you start it at 9 AM you'll be halfway through your day by the time it's over!
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:15 AM   #24
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel76 View Post
Can I leave out Phantasm 3? It has itīs moments, but mostly itīs just terrible in a typical early 90:s way, with the annoying sidekicks and comedy.
Annoying? Both actors had a lot more charisma and personality than James LeGros in Phantasm II, who sleepwalked through the entire thing. Was he supposed to be under a trance the whole damn time? Yawn. Which also describes LeGros's love interest- so important to the series that they yanked her head off in the first 5 minutes of part III.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:18 PM   #25
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
Annoying? Both actors had a lot more charisma and personality than James LeGros in Phantasm II, who sleepwalked through the entire thing. Was he supposed to be under a trance the whole damn time? Yawn. Which also describes LeGros's love interest- so important to the series that they yanked her head off in the first 5 minutes of part III.
They might have both of those things but at the end of the day they were still annoying as fuck.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:24 PM   #26
maybrick
HackMaster

The scariest thing about III is the fashions, but overall I enjoy it more than II. It could have done with less kid and more Mike, but Oblivion made up for that.

My order is still 1, 4, 3, 2. Actually, it looks as if 2 has slipped to last place. Hmm. It's still a good movie, but it's only plus is that it had the biggest budget. If the studio didn't intervene to the extent that it did (insisting upon a linear storyline, forcing Don to choose between Bannister or Baldwin) then it probably would have been as good or even better than the original. We'll never know.

Last edited by maybrick; 02-26-2014 at 03:32 PM.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:47 PM   #27
Mok
Family is Forever

Jigsaw has it the same as I would rank it. But I watched part 2 first.
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:52 PM   #28
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

I love the series soooo much:
#1 - PHANTASM
#2 - PHANTASM II
#3 - PHANTASM IV
#4 - PHANTASM III
I love the first one the most -what an odd, dreamlike roller coaster that movie is. Enjoyables to the max.
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:16 PM   #29
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTwister View Post
They might have both of those things but at the end of the day they were still annoying as fuck.
You think for one second the kid and the black military woman were 1/10th as annoying as LeGros and the blonde were boring? Wake up: the actor playing the kid did a great job and the character never went over-the-top nor was given a load of one-liners or anything like that. You clearly need to watch the film again or are merely reacting to the idea that there's a kid in the film. The film may have been using the character to shoehorn in another "Mike-from-the-first-movie" but that does not mean the actor was playing this. He was a lot stronger and more independent than Mike was in the first film, was given a set of skills that set his character apart from his cliched function in the story, and had anything but an annoying screen presence.

Rocky I will admit was not as strong a character, since the movie kept using her as a "Reggie's horniness will get him into trouble" prop. But, again, the movie didn't make the actress play up any stereotypes to make up for a lack of depth. If any claim could be made against her, it's that she's a bit hollow. Which is potentially true for every female character in the franchise (barring the 4th film which I haven't seen). And even then, I still thought Samantha Phillips was decent (and underused) as Alchemy in the 2nd film. (Too bad she wasn't given a meatier role.)

Sorry, Twist, but you have no case here. None. Not against the actors. If you're just reacting to the cliches, it doesn't matter. A film is allowed to contrive anything it wants to. What matters is how it puts its ideas to use and, for what it is and what it's trying to be, Phantasm III has almost no fat on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
The scariest thing about III is the fashions, but overall I enjoy it more than II. It could have done with less kid and more Mike, but Oblivion made up for that.

My order is still 1, 4, 3, 2. Actually, it looks as if 2 has slipped to last place. Hmm. It's still a good movie, but it's only plus is that it had the biggest budget. If the studio didn't intervene to the extent that it did (insisting upon a linear storyline, forcing Don to choose between Bannister or Baldwin) then it probably would have been as good or even better than the original. We'll never know.
Well, as I hope you can tell from my reaction to the film, I don't think Character Loyalty or that all the same actors returning to play the protagonists is as vital to a film's success in this franchise as you seem to. The problem with 2 I doubt is a missing Baldwin so much as it's just LeGros is terrible in this role. After watching III, LeGros could have nailed that part- not much of the movie rested on Mike's shoulders either way. But he was, of course, at least half the movie in part 2. And, whether all the returning cast were in check or not, Paula Irvine butchered an interesting part and character. The film was coma-inducing enough (which sometimes I counted as a strength- during the sequences when we were supposed to feel something about all the towns being wiped out), it didn't need her feeding it further sedation.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:49 PM   #30
Paff

All this reminds me that I haven't watched III or IV in quite a while. I should give them a spin soon.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote