Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 06-04-2011, 06:41 AM   #16
tropical marsh
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
In defense, they've done great with the Sony catalogue. We got Money Train in it's widescreen ratio at last.
Sony originally released Money Train with widescreen and full screen formats, one format on each side (I know this, because I have it). It was in 2004 that Sony reissued a bunch of DVDs in full screen only. Sheena, Idle Hands, Air Force One, Revenge, Anaconda, The Fan, Silent Rage, etc. To be fair, Sony rereleased a few titles as widescreen only, but the vast majority were relegated to full screen status.

But yeah, finding the Money Train DVD with the widescreen option isn't easy anymore, so it's nice that Image put out the BD.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:55 AM   #17
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
I know. I'm just saying that sometimes a film will get a new transfer for a Blu-Ray release that looks better than it's recent/current DVD release.
Of course older films can look superb on Blu-ray, if done right. Image's Blu-rays of Time Bandits and Dreamscape are disasters for example.

I also kind of doubt Image actually had a hand in the transfers for the Sony Blu-rays, they just distributed them. Many were just reissues, like The Deep. Sony already had HD masters for many of their films in the vault.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:29 PM   #18
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Isn't Hellraiser already on bly from Straz? I'd like to pick up part 2.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:56 PM   #19
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
Isn't Hellraiser already on bly from Straz? I'd like to pick up part 2.
Yeah, it was already released by Anchor Bay/Starz. It looks like the rights to most of the New World library (post-Corman) are now with Image, so we'll see some reissues. Whether or not they'll be exact clones of the old discs though...

It's interesting that the Anchor Bay website still lists all of the New World films in their catalog of films, and haven't yet removed them. It doesn't look like any of the DVD/Blu-ray releases are getting scarce as of yet.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #20
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post

Yeah, it was already released by Anchor Bay/Starz. It looks like the rights to most of the New World library (post-Corman) are now with Image, so we'll see some reissues. Whether or not they'll be exact clones of the old discs though...

It's interesting that the Anchor Bay website still lists all of the New World films in their catalog of films, and haven't yet removed them. It doesn't look like any of the DVD/Blu-ray releases are getting scarce as of yet.
Interesting. Well I hope Hellbound gets a nice new transfer. Now the question is which release of Hellraiser should I get? Should I get both? Hmmm *ponders*
Old 06-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #21
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:
In defense, they've done great with the Sony catalogue. We got Money Train in it's widescreen ratio at last.
So do most pawn shops with the first Columbia dvds, although it did take a while to track down a copy. Sheena was/probably is the hardest to find with WS.

Does Image handle catalog titles like EB, i.e. no extras or menus, movie only blu-rays? I might have to go get the AB Heathers Blu if so.

The only Image BD I've seen in action is Stuck, which wasn't a bad presentation for a not-very-cared-about flick, along with a few extras and decent transfer. Of course I'm sure Stuck is their title, so they would bother to put an extra feature or 2 on it. I'm hoping this isn't like their old Universal dvd deal, where we'd be lucky to get a trailer along with the flick, but feel it will be.

Edit: Didn't see page 2 before posting, so tropical marsh already said most of what I did, but my question stands about those catalog BD's.

My Fucking DVDS

Last edited by bigdaddyhorse; 06-04-2011 at 04:44 PM.
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #22
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

No one hyped for Apt Pupil of Johnny Mnemonic? I could care less about Johnny too, but Apt Pupil is awesome and the dvd is in need of an upgrade if I recall. The Image site even says it will have the making of from the dvd!

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #23
zombiecraig
Stalker

I'd love a Vamp upgrade, too. As long as they track down additional footage. When this was shown on my local FOX affiliate back in the late 80s (probably part of some syndicated movie "debut", similar to the old Universal Pictures Debut Network, though this was New World, I know), there was additional footage shown in place of segments that had to be cut for television.

There wasn't a great deal of footage, but there were additional scenes around the near-elevator-death/escape scene. A sequence where Chris Makepeace spends more time contemplating taking the stairs and another where he enters a room through the window and is nearly assaulted by an elderly couple who are trying to ward him off, as if he is a vampire.

Sorry, I love Vamp, and as a kid I had recorded it during one of these broadcasts and will never forget those additional scenes. Though they may actually not add much, if I saw them today, it would still be nice to have them at least as deleted scenes.

I doubt I still have the old VHS with the broadcast recording on it.

Now that I'm thinking about it, there may have been a few additional street or sewer scenes, as well.

Last edited by zombiecraig; 06-04-2011 at 06:00 PM.
zombiecraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:05 AM   #24
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiecraig View Post
Sorry, I love Vamp
Don't apologize, Vamp is a great flick! I'd love to see the additional footage.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:28 AM   #25
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
Don't apologize, Vamp is a great flick! I'd love to see the additional footage.
The UK Blu-ray of Vamp is quite a nice package. The disc is region-free, so it'll play anywhere.

It's packed as far as bonus features are concerned. No new deleted scenes though.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #26
SaxCatz
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
Of course older films can look superb on Blu-ray, if done right. Image's Blu-rays of Time Bandits and Dreamscape are disasters for example.

I also kind of doubt Image actually had a hand in the transfers for the Sony Blu-rays, they just distributed them. Many were just reissues, like The Deep. Sony already had HD masters for many of their films in the vault.
Eh, y'all quit yer bitchin'... Better in the hands of Image than Echo Bridge.
And Dreamscape is not a disaster... yes, its 1080i (I've discussed before why this isn't a big deal) & yes, the print is smattered with damage- such was the condition of the source material & clearly there was no budget for restoration of the film elements. The release is disappointing, but far from a "disaster."
SaxCatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #27
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I doubt Image will contribute any new extra features, but I'm hoping they will carry over the ones from the Anchor Bay discs. If they don't, I already own the DVDs, so I will settle for a quality transfer.

Has anyone viewed Image's Jawbreaker blu-ray? How's the quality? I'm also curious about Apt Pupil.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:03 PM   #28
Steel76
Maniac

Image did an INCREDIBLE job on "Assault on Precinct 13" on BD.
The PQ is superb and much better than I had ever hoped for. Looks like if it was shot yesterday. Lots of fine-details and with wonderful colors. And no DNR

And then we have the Twilight Zone season sets on BD that also looks perfect, razor sharp with all the filmgrain intact.

So not everything they release is mediocre, far from it.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:49 PM   #29
blu
Stalker

Dead Heat will be mine. The more zombie flicks in HD the better.
blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #30
crikan
HackMaster

Wow Dead Heat on BD. I never thought that would happen.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote