Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 10-25-2013, 01:15 AM   #16
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

Mr. Barker just posted this on facebook about 20 minutes ago:

HOT FROM HELL! My friends,I have some news which may be of interest to you. A few weeks ago I had a very productive meeting with Bob Weinstein of Dimension Pictures,in the course of which I pitched a remake of the first HELLRAISER film. The idea of my coming back to the original film and telling the story with a fresh intensity-honoring the structure and the designs from the first incarnation but hopefully creating an even darker and richer film-was attractive to Dimension. Today I have officially been invited to write the script based upon that pitch.What can I tell you about it?Well, it will not be a film awash with CGI. I remain as passionate about the power of practical make-up effects as I was when I wrote and directed the first HELLRAISER. Of course the best make-up in the world loses force if not inhabited by a first-rate actor. I told the Dimension team that in my opinion there could never be a Pinhead without Doug Bradley,and much to my delight Bob Weinstein agreed. So once the papers are signed , I will open a Lemarchand Configuration,dip my quill in its contents and start writing . I promise that there will be nowhere on the Internet where the news of my progress will be more reliable than here ,because the only author of these reports will be Your Infernal Corespondent ,me. My very best wishes to you
all,my friends.
Clive.
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:00 AM   #17
KGBRadioMoskow
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxfiend View Post
I told the Dimension team that in my opinion there could never be a Pinhead without Doug Bradley,and much to my delight Bob Weinstein agreed.
Cenobites forgive me, but at this point I honestly can no longer agree. Doug Bradley is pushing 60. The above statement was true, but at this point I can't help but think passing the torch is the better plan. It would have to be someone with a similar level of reserved, dignified presence - not a ranting or camera mugging ham. But someone fresh, younger, more able to fit what I'd expect in the role.
KGBRadioMoskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:02 AM   #18
Katatonia
Master of Doom

If they really do remake this, they'll have to do an almost supernatural job of topping the original in key areas.

I just can't see them topping the original music score by Christopher Young for example. They'll really need to hire a truly talented composer to even come close.

And if they shoot it on digital as opposed to film, they're going to need a great DOP to light it. The original had a great dark and brooding mood and atmosphere to the cinematography, and you just rarely see films shot on digital looking that great in dark scenes...unless it's color graded really well to the T.

And if Weinstein and Dimension do eventually produce this, I wouldn't even hold much hope. That last sequel they made was friggin' terrible...and had the budget of a TV commercial. Not that the previous sequels to that were masterpieces by any definition, but they looked like true masterpieces in comparison to that one!

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:11 AM   #19
Jack_Burton
Victim

Excellent news. With Barker writing and Bradley returning, I'm there. But I'm not gonna get my hopes up until it's official.
Jack_Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #20
buck135
The Duke of New York

No. Just...no.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #21
Ptflea2
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGBRadioMoskow View Post
Cenobites forgive me, but at this point I honestly can no longer agree. Doug Bradley is pushing 60. The above statement was true, but at this point I can't help but think passing the torch is the better plan. It would have to be someone with a similar level of reserved, dignified presence - not a ranting or camera mugging ham. But someone fresh, younger, more able to fit what I'd expect in the role.
All Pinhead ever does is stand there and talk. How could a 60 year old Bradley not pull that off in heavy makeup?
Ptflea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #22
Drinkinstein
Stalker

If it's gotta happen, I'm glad it's happening THIS way. Some of those remake pitches were just not right at all...
And really, I say if Doug Bradley is game then why not have him reprise the role? If not well, they better get someone with some goddamn gravitas to fill those shoes.
Drinkinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #23
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Plus the fact Clive is involved make it all the better!
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:37 PM   #24
Cydeous
Axxon N

I'm interested in this now that Clive Barker is involved. It would be great if they went back to the original story and started fresh but bringing back Doug Bradley as Pinhead is still good. I don't agree that Doug Bradley needs to be replaced... what's the big deal with 60, anyway? He's a coenobite, not an action hero. The original was great but there are a few things that could definitely be improved, like the optical effects at the end.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:49 AM   #25
ImmortalSlasher
Stalker

I've only seen the original once. I think. I can't remember it clearly and I want to see it again. I think it was very out there with the monsters. I can't wait to see what the original creator can come up with. I think he's the real deal with horror. At least from some of the stuff I've seen and his ideas.
ImmortalSlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #26
Zillamon51
Maniac

I think bringing back Barker and / or Bradley is a mistake. If you're going to reboot / remake something, start wth a clean slate. Otherwise, everyone can just stay home and watch the first Hellraiser again. This is like taking shot-for-shot remakes like Psycho and The Omen a step further, and we know how well those turned out. If Barker wants to be involved, he should do so in a producing / supervisory capacity while handing everything else off to young new talent (more like the Evil Dead remake). If he insists on writing / directing again and casting Doug Bradley, he should just make another sequel. Remake / reboot = START OVER.
Zillamon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:02 PM   #27
deepred
Maniac

I don't think there's anything wrong with a director going back to old material and putting a new spin on it. Even Hitchcock did that.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/51881...heir-own-films
Old 10-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #28
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepred View Post
I don't think there's anything wrong with a director going back to old material and putting a new spin on it. Even Hitchcock did that.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/51881...heir-own-films
You are correct, however I am in the opinion that the original The Man Who Knew Too Much was far superior to it's successor. It felt like a Fritz Lang film, hell it had Peter Lorre in it. The ending was awesome, whereas the remake fell flat. James Stewart, Doris Day, their son and that hideous song didn't help.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic. This just brings back the remake discussion all over again. You picture the studio executives sitting around a board room asking "What franchise hasn't been milked to death or remade yet that we have the rights to?" Other than money, why would Clive Barker, or Doug Bradley want to do this? The first film (special effects aside) was perfect. If they wanted to do something different (i.e. New Nightmare) or even just another sequel, I would be fine with it. Same with a Cunningham/Hodder Friday the 13th, Craven/Englund Elm Street or Carpenter Halloween sequel. Retelling the original story with the same director and actor seems strange to me. And why has Ashley Laurence's name not been mentioned? She's not even 50 and she is still drop dead gorgeous. If they want to retell the original story with the original cast, she had better be included.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #29
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
You are correct, however I am in the opinion that the original The Man Who Knew Too Much was far superior to it's successor. It felt like a Fritz Lang film, hell it had Peter Lorre in it. The ending was awesome, whereas the remake fell flat. James Stewart, Doris Day, their son and that hideous song didn't help.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic. This just brings back the remake discussion all over again. You picture the studio executives sitting around a board room asking "What franchise hasn't been milked to death or remade yet that we have the rights to?" Other than money, why would Clive Barker, or Doug Bradley want to do this? The first film (special effects aside) was perfect. If they wanted to do something different (i.e. New Nightmare) or even just another sequel, I would be fine with it. Same with a Cunningham/Hodder Friday the 13th, Craven/Englund Elm Street or Carpenter Halloween sequel. Retelling the original story with the same director and actor seems strange to me. And why has Ashley Laurence's name not been mentioned? She's not even 50 and she is still drop dead gorgeous. If they want to retell the original story with the original cast, she had better be included.
I thought Clive Barker was always unhappy with the original as it was his first directing gig and felt that he could have done it better. At least I remember him saying he had several regrets while listening to the commentary on the DVD years back.

It's Barker's novella, his film ... I figure he can do whatever he wants with it and am surprised people aren't more excited to see him return to tell the story that is his. Surely, it will be better than the last 5-6 films.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #30
Mok
Family is Forever

I'm in for sure. To all you nay sayers, SHAME ON YOU!
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote