Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 04-27-2011, 03:16 AM   #1
shift
Ring who?

Hellraiser / 2012, remake?

Hummmmmmmmmmmm...........

Looks like Clive Barker going forward with Hellraiser remake?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0887261/
Old 04-27-2011, 05:55 AM   #2
Undeadcow
Stalker

Say what you will but in my book any Hellraiser is good Hellraiser.

Even the later recent films have an interesting mind-trip cheap vibe.
Undeadcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #3
JGrendel
HackMaster

I know I'm gonna get flack for this but I'm sorry. I still believe that without Doug Bradley it's not Hellraiser.
JGrendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #4
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Why would you get flack for that?

I agree there'll be no Pinhead without Bradley. But I'm just as rigid about them putting any other actress in the Clare Higgins / Julia role. What I think they need to do is start over from scratch with brand new everything. They can keep the old ideas, but do it with new characters. Wouldn't be hard, since none of the old people had much character to speak of. But what they had was presence and charisma. No one's going to be able to replace that if they try to slap a new face on an old name- whether it's Kirsty, Frank, Julia, Larry, or Pinhead. And other movies have already tried to copy pieces of this. Especially that ghost movie where Elizabeth Banks plays a sexy wicked stepmother. All I could think about was: Hellraiser with a blonde.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:57 PM   #5
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrendel View Post
I know I'm gonna get flack for this but I'm sorry. I still believe that without Doug Bradley it's not Hellraiser.
I agree with you. I love all of Hellraiser flicks, but I'm hesitant to see the latest release because the reviews are terrible, they put it together on a shoestring budget and Pinhead looks awful. I'll hold off commenting on a series reboot until more details are available.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:15 PM   #6
JGrendel
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post

I agree there'll be no Pinhead without Bradley. But I'm just as rigid about them putting any other actress in the Clare Higgins / Julia role. What I think they need to do is start over from scratch with brand new everything. They can keep the old ideas, but do it with new characters. Wouldn't be hard, since none of the old people had much character to speak of. But what they had was presence and charisma. No one's going to be able to replace that if they try to slap a new face on an old name- whether it's Kirsty, Frank, Julia, Larry, or Pinhead. And other movies have already tried to copy pieces of this. Especially that ghost movie where Elizabeth Banks plays a sexy wicked stepmother. All I could think about was: Hellraiser with a blonde.
It just seems lately that if you say the remake/reimaging will be terrible cause the original cast isn't there someone comes along & jumps down your throat. So I thought I would apoligise now & save myself the trouble.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:58 AM   #7
Mitbox
Stalker

Quote:

I agree there'll be no Pinhead without Bradley. But I'm just as rigid about them putting any other actress in the Clare Higgins / Julia role.
THIS.

Clare acting was superb. In remakes and new horror movies the female cast have been fucking awful. I'm a huge fan of Hellraiser, but I think Bradley can be replaced to some extent without damaging the re-imagining (mostly because his parts consist of one liners that can be imitated), I wish he still do the remake though, but Clare is so great that her part is more crucial for the movie to work than any other role in the movie. Andrew Robinson is awesome too and I hope they don't cast some good looking 30 year old whose performance is mediocre. Then we have Ashley Laurence whom I love, but gave the weakest performance of the bunch (not counting minor roles), what I loved about her casting is that she's got what they call "angel", so is still a tough role to remake in the end.

Now, the second thing we should be most worried about is what took this movie from awesome to genius status: the music. I don't think this score can get any better, so they'll probably use the same one as the original. If they get "creative" please call Christopher Young and make him add something new to his score, but don't do anything else.
Mitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #8
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

I've actually never been a big fan of Hellraiser's score. Except for one scene (Julia and Frank fucking), it never really soars into the next stratosphere. Wait, I just forgot- the scene with Kirsty walking to Larry and Julia's house. That was beautiful. Understated. Any scene outdoors, actually (including the one at the bar and the one with Kirsty following Julia home).

But I agree, they're never going to top it with the composers they have now. I shouldn't say that, it's not really their fault. Really great horror scores are rare the past 13+ years. The 90's was so fixated on orchestral and industrial-orchestral, I was hoping that would take a hike in the new-millennium. Speaking of Christopher Young, he did one of my favorite 90's scores: Tales from the Hood (CRIMINALLY underrated movie, nobody even talks about the score which thinking about now gives me serious chills). But I really miss the wild experimentation in the 70's and early 80's. Especially Goblin's scores, and the scores for Phantasm, The Evil Dead, Creepshow, Day of the Dead, Martin.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:15 AM   #9
JGrendel
HackMaster

Quote:
I've actually never been a big fan of Hellraiser's score. Except for one scene (Julia and Frank fucking), it never really soars into the next stratosphere. Wait, I just forgot- the scene with Kirsty walking to Larry and Julia's house. That was beautiful. Understated. Any scene outdoors, actually (including the one at the bar and the one with Kirsty following Julia home).

But I agree, they're never going to top it with the composers they have now. I shouldn't say that, it's not really their fault. Really great horror scores are rare the past 13+ years. The 90's was so fixated on orchestral and industrial-orchestral, I was hoping that would take a hike in the new-millennium. Speaking of Christopher Young, he did one of my favorite 90's scores: Tales from the Hood (CRIMINALLY underrated movie, nobody even talks about the score which thinking about now gives me serious chills). But I really miss the wild experimentation in the 70's and early 80's. Especially Goblin's scores, and the scores for Phantasm, The Evil Dead, Creepshow, Day of the Dead, Martin.

I think that is why these remakes don't do so well is cause they are trying to hard top the original which is to be honest impossible cause it's like trying to catch lightening in a bottle. There's just a magic these movies have that makes them special & unfortunately you can replicate that no matter if you're a fan or just looking to cash in.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:43 AM   #10
Mitbox
Stalker

Quote:
I think you forgot or confused the scene of Julia fucking with the best musicalized scene in horror ever: Frank's resurrection. Check it out in youtube, it most be there somewhere.

Thanks for the Tales from the Hood tip, I'll check it out.
Mitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:24 PM   #11
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Oh, the DVD is hopelessly out of print (and I don't think the score was ever released on CD- though it REALLY should have been / Savoy - same company who did Hood - released Basil Poledouris's score from John Waters' Serial Mom on CD). It should still be on Netflix: Instant though.

As for Hellraiser, I watched that scene (the resurrection) just 3 weeks ago and liked it better than I usually do. But I'm still sticking with Frank and Julia's tryst as the absolute best moment for the score in the movie. It didn't even need special effects, it was all emotion and freezing cold passion- which I almost felt even though I didn't find either one of them to be that attractive.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:04 PM   #12
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitbox View Post
Now, the second thing we should be most worried about is what took this movie from awesome to genius status: the music. I don't think this score can get any better, so they'll probably use the same one as the original. If they get "creative" please call Christopher Young and make him add something new to his score, but don't do anything else.
I totally agree. Hellraiser is easily one of my top 3 musical scores, ever. I actually own it on 2 CD's, and it gets constant play. It's simply beautiful sonic perfection. In nearly 25 years since its release, I have yet to hear another score that has moved me as deeply.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:44 PM   #13
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

I downloaded several pieces of the score years ago and I still say it's remarkably overrated.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:16 PM   #14
Mok
Family is Forever

As this film looks shaky at best to ever be made, Todd Farmer gave up some aborted cenobite designs. Of all of these I actually really like the Pinhead one. The others, meh...

From shocktillyoudrop.com:

Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:47 PM   #15
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mok View Post
As this film looks shaky at best to ever be made, Todd Farmer gave up some aborted cenobite designs. Of all of these I actually really like the Pinhead one. The others, meh...
As long as the Chatterer is well represented and Pinhead doesn't look like an offensive lineman from Washington State (like the last entry), I'm interested.