Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-12-2010, 02:05 PM   #211
springjack
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce h View Post
Also keep in mind that screenshots on a computer monitor are different than watching a film on your tv -- especially going from an old non-anamorphic print to one enhanced for 16:9. The reason the old 4:3 Anchor Bay print looks sharper is probably due to edge enhancement and DNR, which was way overused on a lot of early DVDs.

I'll reserve final judgement until I see the disc with my own eyes. If it still looks crummy, that's when I'll start complaining.
Exactly, I said that thing before.
Also, when I made the screenshot I told everybody what software I use.
Never in my comments I said this version was crap or anything like it.
I only said it was different.
In my opinion, the blue hue does give the film a more creepy look.
________
Squirting Videos

Last edited by springjack; 03-20-2011 at 10:19 PM.
springjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:20 PM   #212
SynapseFilms

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRedDVd View Post
I should let you ALL talk to the MADMAN producer to make him feel misrable. Here's a man who turned down Synapse, Anchor Bay and others. It was his way, or no deal. I wish I never put out the dvd. I really didn't agree with all the terms, but THIS IS THE ONLY WAY FOR THE FILM TO COME OUT!
He didn't turn us down... we heard what kind of deal he wanted and we decided not to do the deal. We turned him down, Bill. But, you are right... it was his way or no deal. His deal wasn't something we felt was a good deal at all, so we didn't bother burdening our company with his inferior master, his ridiculous timeline for release or his amazingly short term.

I learned my lesson a long time ago... you know what they say... Sometimes the best deals are the ones you DON'T make. Sorry to hear your experience was a bad one on this title. I know how you feel.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:27 PM   #213
SynapseFilms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
Trust me, Bill, we're glad you re-release the film. How many companies (beside Blue Underground) can aquire titles from Anchor Bay?
A lot of us, actually. It wasn't from Anchor Bay. The title was already out of Anchor Bay's hands and being repped for release by someone else. This happens a lot. We'll be making an announcement on a long out of print Anchor Bay title soon, too... out in LA coordinating the materials now. I'll let you know when we get it situated.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #214
springjack
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynapseFilms View Post
so we didn't bother burdening our company with his inferior master
Now this is interesting...
So his master was a inferior one. Talking about HD master.

Quote:
We'll be making an announcement on a long out of print Anchor Bay title soon, too... out in LA coordinating the materials now. I'll let you know when we get it situated.
Title please, i?m salivating.
________
VAPOR LOUNGE

Last edited by springjack; 03-20-2011 at 10:20 PM.
springjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #215
Fall Break
Stalker

Quote:
so we didn't bother burdening our company with his inferior master
Are you saying you saw the master and determined it was inferior?
Fall Break is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:29 PM   #216
SynapseFilms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fall Break View Post
Are you saying you saw the master and determined it was inferior?
The master he had was a MONSTERSHD spec HD master. Having dealt with MONSTERSHD in the past, we knew the transfer was done in 1080i. That was an immediate red flag for me and we would never have used it. Unless I was allowed to retransfer the film to my proper specs, for us, the deal was immediately off the table.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:39 PM   #217
Fall Break
Stalker

Quote:
The master he had was a MONSTERSHD spec HD master. Having dealt with MONSTERSHD in the past, we knew the transfer was done in 1080i. That was an immediate red flag for me and we would never have used it. Unless I was allowed to retransfer the film to my proper specs, for us, the deal was immediately off the table.
Thanks for the information and the quick reply.
Fall Break is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:21 AM   #218
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Just a quick question to throw at SynapseFilms, but why do you region lock your blurays? There was a few films such as Piranha, and Humanoids that I wanted to get but sadly I found out that they were locked. Just curious if there's a reason?
Old 09-13-2010, 12:25 AM   #219
Cujo108

^ Those two were released by Shout Factory. Synapse has yet to do any Blu-rays.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:45 AM   #220
Marshall Crist
Stalker

Discs aren't generally region locked unless the licensor demands it. Shout! wants to sell as many discs as possible, but Corman wants to be able to cut a separate deal for overseas rights with another company, presumably.
Marshall Crist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:56 AM   #221
CultCreep
Screamy Bopper

I'm still keeping my pre-order right where its at. I love Code Red and will support them in any way I can!
Old 09-13-2010, 01:10 PM   #222
SynapseFilms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
Just a quick question to throw at SynapseFilms, but why do you region lock your blurays? There was a few films such as Piranha, and Humanoids that I wanted to get but sadly I found out that they were locked. Just curious if there's a reason?
Yes, there is a reason. While it doesn't always apply, many licensors don't want a US licensor selling their version overseas, if they have the ability to license the film to other countries themselves.

If, say, the owner of PIRANHA licenses it to Shout Factory for the US and Canada, why would they want Shout Factory's version getting overseas if they have the ability to license the film to another company for another territory?

People who get upset about region-locked product seem to forget sometimes that just because one company has the movie out in the US doesn't mean they have the right to sell it all over the world.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #223
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Yes, there is a reason. While it doesn't always apply, many licensors don't want a US licensor selling their version overseas, if they have the ability to license the film to other countries themselves.

If, say, the owner of PIRANHA licenses it to Shout Factory for the US and Canada, why would they want Shout Factory's version getting overseas if they have the ability to license the film to another company for another territory?

People who get upset about region-locked product seem to forget sometimes that just because one company has the movie out in the US doesn't mean they have the right to sell it all over the world.
That's fair enough. I was curious and admittedly never thought about that aspect of it. Still it's a shame as I haven't seen those releases for sale on the Aus market. Hopefully someone will pick them up.

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:18 PM   #224
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I am reserving my judgment of CRís Madman disc until I have it rotating in my DVD player. I think the more important issue at hand here is the fact that Code Redís closing shop next summerÖsay it isnít so!!!

My jaw completely detached from my face when I read that.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:29 PM   #225
WesReviews
HackMaster

Still got this on pre-order. Will reserve judgment until I see the transfer myself, but it sounds like Bill and CR did the best they could given the time and transfer restrictions.

Yes, I too hope Code Red will stick around for a while. They've done far more good than bad, despite what some will say.

Oh, The Horror! Reviews - Horror movie reviews... all decades, all sub-genres.
ACTION ALLIANCE - Action film talk with action film fans.

"Life differs from the play only in this... it has no plot, all is vague, desultory, unconnected till the curtain drops with the mystery unsolved." - Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
WesReviews is offline   Reply With Quote