Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2005, 05:19 PM   #1
baggio
HackMaster
 
baggio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 6,880
Dawn Remake Question: chainsaw

I truely apologize if this was discussed before, but when I searched I get like a million posts, and can't seem to find this question.

I just watched the remake again on cable a couple of days ago.
And was wondering if anyone else shocked to see that chainsaw scene with the girl. Now I don't mean shocked like it was a surprise out of nowhere. I mean shocked that it made it to a R rated movie. I thought that was one of the most graphic (although quick) scenes I've seen in a long time for a R rated movie. With all the mpaa crack downs in the last decade and a 1/2.
Between her reaction and the gore it was extremly realistic. I was like holy shit I can't believe I just saw that. The scream the panic, it looked very real. Now on the same note the chainsaw through the bus sides did not shock me , I was like ok that was pretty cool looking.

Anyone share this opinion on this scene?

Any other movies that you thought pushed the R limit?
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 05:41 PM   #2
Grim
HackMaster
 
Grim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 7,363
It's a tad more graphic in the unrated version. Other films I think pushed the limit were Kill Bill Vol. 1, Shaun of the Dead, Seed of Chucky (although not the best film), and more recently Land of the Dead.
__________________
AIM: MrGrim132002
Grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 05:45 PM   #3
welb25
Stalker
 
welb25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Indiana
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggio
I truely apologize if this was discussed before, but when I searched I get like a million posts, and can't seem to find this question.

I just watched the remake again on cable a couple of days ago.
And was wondering if anyone else shocked to see that chainsaw scene with the girl. Now I don't mean shocked like it was a surprise out of nowhere. I mean shocked that it made it to a R rated movie. I thought that was one of the most graphic (although quick) scenes I've seen in a long time for a R rated movie. With all the mpaa crack downs in the last decade and a 1/2.
Between her reaction and the gore it was extremly realistic. I was like holy shit I can't believe I just saw that. The scream the panic, it looked very real. Now on the same note the chainsaw through the bus sides did not shock me , I was like ok that was pretty cool looking.

Anyone share this opinion on this scene?



Any other movies that you thought pushed the R limit?
Well I haven't seen the U.S. cut version of Haute Tension (High Tension) but Ebert said it was the goriest(or most violent, I can't remember his exact words) R-rated film that he can remember. I've had friends tell me that as well.

Edit: I just checked and Ebert said it was perhaps the "hardest R for violence" ever awarded by the MPAA.

Last edited by welb25; 07-01-2005 at 05:48 PM.
welb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 05:57 PM   #4
Grim
HackMaster
 
Grim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 7,363
Ah yes. High Tension was one I forgot to mention. I knew there was another recent flick I was forgetting.
__________________
AIM: MrGrim132002
Grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:04 PM   #5
baggio
HackMaster
 
baggio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 6,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim
It's a tad more graphic in the unrated version. Other films I think pushed the limit were Kill Bill Vol. 1, Shaun of the Dead, Seed of Chucky (although not the best film), and more recently Land of the Dead.
Your right about Seed of Chucky. I forgot about that one. And Kill Bill was over the top but somewhat cartoonish , if you know what I mean?

The only thing with Haute Tension is that it really not a U.S. film so it really had no limits. I have seen the original uncut. It was ranked right up there with the goriest.

But did you think that chainsaw scene in Dawn looked pretty real?
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:08 PM   #6
welb25
Stalker
 
welb25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Indiana
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggio
Your right about Seed of Chucky. I forgot about that one. And Kill Bill was over the top but somewhat cartoonish , if you know what I mean?

The only thing with Haute Tension is that it really not a U.S. film so it really had no limits. I have seen the original uncut. It was ranked right up there with the goriest.

But did you think that chainsaw scene in Dawn looked pretty real?
It's not an American film but Haute Tension had to have some limits to get a R-rating by the MPAA here in America.
welb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:17 PM   #7
allmessedup
It's beer time.
 
allmessedup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: House on the Park of the Edge
Posts: 2,005
I think THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST made violence a little more acceptable. I remember Ebert's review saying that he didn't see how any movie could ever be considered too violent for an R since THE PASSION managed to get one. Obviously, they still want occasional cuts, though.
allmessedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:24 PM   #8
baggio
HackMaster
 
baggio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 6,880
true, but I was just saying if you see the original uncut, it will blow your mind. I was talking about movies that were meant to be seen rated R. Dawn was made for U.S. audience and followed the mpaa rules. What they get away with as an uncut film on dvd is not really what I'm talking about.

which brings me to a point about all these uncut dvds that come out. half the time, its a bullshit selling point to get people excited. meanwhile it turns out to be like a few seconds of footage. Haute tension was made and had no limits for the European audience. Its really hard to compare both laws. Very different. Directors over there just film what they want. In the U.S. , they film with the knowledge that "Hey they will never let us get away with that" so they don't bother trying.

On the other hand I believe some directors recently know they can say "hey if the cut that scene will put it on dvd"
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:29 PM   #9
baggio
HackMaster
 
baggio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 6,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmessedup
I think THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST made violence a little more acceptable. I remember Ebert's review saying that he didn't see how any movie could ever be considered too violent for an R since THE PASSION managed to get one. Obviously, they still want occasional cuts, though.
I really think that the movie while very violent, delt with a touchy subject matter. Kinda of hard for the mpaa to argue against an artistic religious figure.
Schindlers List was another one, like this.

I know i'm going to hell for this, but I really didn't think Passion was that gory. More like repetitive, which got to people.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:38 PM   #10
allmessedup
It's beer time.
 
allmessedup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: House on the Park of the Edge
Posts: 2,005
Believe it or not, I still haven't seen it...I do think a lot of the people who did see it weren't used to seeing a lot of violence and gore in movies, though. My grandma saw it, for crying out loud.

I wonder if they made some kind of tradeoff when doing the DAWN remake..."We'll keep the chainsaw scene if we soften the cannibalism aspect."
allmessedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:51 PM   #11
baggio
HackMaster
 
baggio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 6,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmessedup

I wonder if they made some kind of tradeoff when doing the DAWN remake..."We'll keep the chainsaw scene if we soften the cannibalism aspect."
I see your point.

Actually to tell you the truth I know that when a horror movie that deals with , lets say zombies or monsters. they seem to allow alot more due to fact of the zombies themselves. they are not real human per say. that why you can basiclly stick dynomite in there mouth and blow there head off and the mpaa will be like "ok, thats fine, print it" but try that to a human character, waaaaayyyyyy different story. You know what I mean?

thats why the chainsaw scene, shocked me. it a completly different effect.

Kill Bill is another example of over the top cartoonish (yet very bloody) violence. They get away with it.

But lets say Collateral with Tom Crusie. if his character lets say stabed some guy like 20 times. Hell No!!!! they will never show that in a lifetime.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 07:38 PM   #12
MorallySound
There is no magic.
 
MorallySound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,157
I just saw House of Wax yesterday, the remake, and it was pretty violent and bloody. A lot of closeups on the violence happening, most of which is quite graphic. This is another one I would have thought the MPAA would have cut more. I really enjoyed this movie, it was a lot of fun, and really went back to the hardcore horror of the 70's.
__________________
"Things only seem to be magic. There is no real magic. There's no real magic ever." - Martin

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 07:47 PM   #13
baggio
HackMaster
 
baggio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 6,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorallySound
I just saw House of Wax yesterday, the remake, and it was pretty violent and bloody. A lot of closeups on the violence happening, most of which is quite graphic. This is another one I would have thought the MPAA would have cut more. I really enjoyed this movie, it was a lot of fun, and really went back to the hardcore horror of the 70's.
sounds like it was pretty good. unfortunatly I have not seen it yet. I'll probably pick this one up on dvd.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 01:21 AM   #14
Ash
Stalker
 
Ash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 297
I LMAO at that chainsaw scene. It was probably one of the few high points of the Dawn remake.
Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 02:55 AM   #15
maskull
No Avatar! Boo!
 
maskull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Etobicoke, Canada
Posts: 5,380
I just watched the remake again today. The chainsaw scene is sweet. I think I was surprised to see it when I first watched the movie but I'm sure glad they kept it in.
__________________
Movie Tracker: 20132014
maskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1999-2014 Horrordvds.com

No text or images from this site may be reprinted or used elsewhere without express consent from Horrordvds.com