Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 11-10-2012, 08:15 AM   #1576
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
Still no Hey Dude? I'm starting to worry.
Agreed, I'm very disappointed by that. I also wish they'd release the remaining seasons of Conan the Adventurer.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #1577
Matt89
HackMaster

Have they considered putting The Slumber Party Massacre on blu? Always wondered why that film never got a blu-ray release.

~Matt
Old 11-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #1578
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
Have they considered putting The Slumber Party Massacre on blu? Always wondered why that film never got a blu-ray release.

~Matt
As I recall Cliff said they really didn't have good material for it and also didn't want to release it in HD with the SD sequels which were in even worse shape. Since the Corman Blu-ray's weren't setting the world on fire they decided it wasn't worth the effort.

And for those MST3k fans that may have missed it, the Shout Factory exclusive version of Vol. XXV comes with all the Radar Men From The Moon riffs on one DVD too:
Quote:
MST-ies who order this collection from ShoutFactory.com will receive bonus good-tidings in the form of a DVD featuring all nine installments of the MST-riffed, season one serial Radar Men From The Moon, presented together for the first time, including the previously unreleased chapter "Hills Of Death." Also includes a new introduction by season one's Tom Servo, J. Elvis Weinstein.
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Mys...3000-XXV/17716

I've pre-ordered that edition and would advise any fans to pick up this boxset too since it's hard to say how long Revenge of the Creature will be available this way.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #1579
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post

~Matt
I certainly wish they would. I remember them being asked to release the "trilogy" on Blu-ray back when the DVD first came out, and they said the transfers would be too expensive and profits too minimal to warrant a Blu-ray release. I wish they'd reconsider though!

Old 11-10-2012, 09:23 PM   #1580
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Also, they didn't have an uncut source for SPM III, they only had the R-rated version.

That's why the same fullscreen transfer from the New Concorde disc is on Shout's SPM Collection, while the first two films are in widescreen.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #1581
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
Also, they didn't have an uncut source for SPM III, they only had the R-rated version.

That's why the same fullscreen transfer from the New Concorde disc is on Shout's SPM Collection, while the first two films are in widescreen.
I'd settle for just the first two in HD. I like III, but love those.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #1582
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I watched They Live this past weekend. I thought it looked great. Nice vibrant colors, black levels looked good, sharp detail in facial features... If there was any DNR or EE, I didn’t notice any of it. I don’t know what the blu-ray.com forums are talking about...then again I saw a good portion of posts over there asking why the “BUY” sticker was on the cover. So, I guess that explains a couple of things…

John Carpenter looked great in his interview. He is, without a shadow of a doubt, my favorite director of all time. How awesome is it for a director to flat out tell his audience he has a problem with authority and then point out how Reagan’s failed policies are still ruining America today? Other directors may nonchalantly tip-toe around the idea, Carpenter just flat out says it like it is and doesn’t give a fuck what anybody else thinks. Legend.

Keith David had another entertaining interview. I loved the few stories he told about The Thing.

I was kind of bummed they didn’t get Roddy to participate in the release. Did Shout! ever explain why that was? Was it a scheduling conflict or did he just not care to participate?

All-in-all…another satisfying release from Shout!.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #1583
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
John Carpenter looked great in his interview. He is, without a shadow of a doubt, my favorite director of all time. How awesome is it for a director to flat out tell his audience he has a problem with authority and then point out how Reagan’s failed policies are still ruining America today? Other directors may nonchalantly tip-toe around the idea, Carpenter just flat out says it like it is and doesn’t give a fuck what anybody else thinks. Legend.
Carpenter did an interview with our local horror host Svengoolie at Flash Back Weekend this summer and was almost entirely an ass. He gave very curt responses and ended the interview by not saying another word. He just stood there without saying anything. Very childish.

On the flip side of that Svengooglie did an interview with Roddy who was very gracious and aggressively nice. By the end Roddy was the one actually drawing out the interview to be longer and even began to quote Shakespeare just to keep it going! That's class.

A very stark contrast.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #1584
jstell
Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
Carpenter did an interview with our local horror host Svengoolie at Flash Back Weekend this summer and was almost entirely an ass. He gave very curt responses and ended the interview by not saying another word. He just stood there without saying anything. Very childish.

On the flip side of that Svengooglie did an interview with Roddy who was very gracious and aggressively nice. By the end Roddy was the one actually drawing out the interview to be longer and even began to quote Shakespeare just to keep it going! That's class.

A very stark contrast.
They actually showed the Carpenter interview (and Roddy quoting Shakespeare) this past Saturday night on Svengoolie's MeTV broadcast of Dracula. Apparently Carpenter agreed to only 2 questions so when Sven asked a third question Carpenter just held up two fingers to indicate what their agreement must have been. I was wondering if that was some kind of gag. Apparently not.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:24 AM   #1585
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
I watched They Live this past weekend. I thought it looked great. Nice vibrant colors, black levels looked good, sharp detail in facial features... If there was any DNR or EE, I didn’t notice any of it. I don’t know what the blu-ray.com forums are talking about...then again I saw a good portion of posts over there asking why the “BUY” sticker was on the cover. So, I guess that explains a couple of things…
Compared to the Italian edition, there some evident DNR in Shout´s version, very evident but nothing huge.
And for the movie in question, I think Shout´s encoding suits it better.

That thing about people asking why the “BUY” sticker was on the cover made me laught very hard.

I guess a question is in order... did they ever saw the movie??????
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:47 AM   #1586
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Most of the interviews I’ve seen Carpenter give, he usually comes off rather short, earnest, and almost “asshole-ish”. Which I would expect nothing less from someone who created such figures as Napolean Wilson, Dr. Loomis, Snake Plissken, and Nadda…frankly, I’d be a little put off if JC wasn’t any of those things. I mean, being aggressively nice, being intricate with words, and spouting off Shakespearean quotes just doesn’t fit Carpenter’s motif. I mean, it’s pretty obvious the guy has negative views on society as well as possibly some misanthropic views.

Plus Carpenter is a director, Piper is a professional actor. Of course they’re going to give two different kind of interviews. Regardless, I wish I could have caught that Svengoolie airing…sounds interesting none-the-less.

Last edited by Chomp; 11-13-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:38 AM   #1587
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

DVDBeaver review of They Live Blu-ray, with screenshots and a comparison with the Italian Blu-ray:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews53/they_live_blu-ray.htm

Old 11-14-2012, 04:06 AM   #1588
Nailwraps
HackMaster

From Scream's Facebook page!!!!!:

"**HORRORHOUND WEEKEND UPDATE AND FRIDAY ANNOUNCEMENTS**

As most of you know, DVD Producer/Acquisitions Manager Cliff MacMillan and Marketing Director Jeff Nel...son will be attending the HorrorHound convention in Indianapolis this weekend to talk and answer all things Scream Factory! Their panel is on 11/16 at 9:30PM EST where they will announce SIX big titles that are planned for Blu-ray releases next year.

The "Super Six" will also be announced here on our FB page later on in the evening and then we will be taking a bit of a break from our weekly Friday announcements going forward (or at least until the new year). No worries, as we still have other stuff brewing in the works. :-)

For attendees going to the event: There's been some rumors that we will be selling product this weekend but, unfortunately, we will not be this time around due to logistics and costs. :-(

WHAT WILL THE "SUPER SIX" BE? Find out this weekend and please feel free to say "Hi!" to Cliff and Jeff if you are at the convention."
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:46 AM   #1589
fceurich39
HackMaster

I think THE FOG is going to be on their for sure and maybe the howling,burning,prince of darkness
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:34 AM   #1590
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fceurich39 View Post
prince of darkness
that would be very cool
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote