Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > Reader Polls

View Poll Results: Who is your all-time favourite Dracula?
Bela Lugosi 13 33.33%
Christopher Lee 26 66.67%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2009, 09:05 PM   #1
Truegho

Dracula Lee vs Dracula Lugosi

Who do you think was the best Dracula: Bela Lugosi or Christopher Lee.

Whilst I loved Lugosi in the old Universal movies, I have to say that Christopher Lee is my all time favourite Count Dracula. I have ALL his Hammer films on DVD, but am still waiting for Satanic Rites of Dracula to be released on DVD to complete my collection.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
rhett

I went Bela. I love the foreign persona he brought to the role. Lee seemed too domestic - suave, for sure, but he was missing that otherworldly quality that is essential to the character and one that made Lugosi's performance so memorable. I can quote back a dozen of Lugosi's lines in the way he delivered them ("Creatures of the night..." etc.) but can't really think of any Lee lines off the top of my head. Lugosi is it!
Old 10-16-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

Lee got to play the part in more films, but I still think he is the better Dracula.
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:40 PM   #4
old-boo-radley
They stay the same age...

Lugosi, pretty much because of what Rhett said.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:17 PM   #5
Harry Warden
HackMaster

No contest. Christopher Lee by 8 miles.
Harry Warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:05 AM   #6
dave13
HackMaster

i love christopher lee, the guys awesome. but bela lugosi (especially as dracula) is iconic. i'd go for classic universal over swingin' hammer 6 days out of 7.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:20 AM   #7
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Lee, the Hammer Dracula series is a personal favorite. I found Dracula(1931) somewhat boring compared to other Universal horrors like Frankenstein, Wolf Man and Creature from the Black Lagoon. I preferred Lugosi in a lot of his other films over the Dracula portrayal, it's still way better than Langella's disco Dracula(1979), loved the wind tunnel tested hairdo.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:28 AM   #8
Copyboy
Maniac

I think Christopher Lee was excellent as Dracula but I had to go with Bela Lugosi. His was, is and always will be the face I see and the voice I hear when I think of Dracula. His original portrayal, his return in Abbott & Costello and even his non-Dracula role in MARK OF THE VAMPIRE pretty much fused Lugosi with the name "Dracula" in my mind.
Copyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:46 AM   #9
X-human
I ate my keys

No contest what so ever in my mind, Lugosi IS Dracula. But both movies are rather lackluster.

Now Lee is a fine actor and I enjoy his Dracula very much. But he's more like a mean Brit in a cape than a vampire. Pompous sure, but nothing we couldn't handle during the Revolutionary War.

Lugosi acts like a wolf in sheep's clothing. He really comes off as the devil incarnate. Something more terrible seems to lie beneath. It may go back to his own experiences, where he says he was a victim of a real vampire in Hungry,
Quote:
And then, I met the woman. Her age was indeterminable. She was an actress. She was not outstandingly beautiful. Her hair was a pale brown. Her skin was deathly pale at times; at other times it was a blood, blood red - that was after she had been fed. Her mouth was thin and ravenous. Her teeth were tiny, and pointed. She had been married many times. There had been many lovers. One never asked what had become of them. Men feared her - and went to her at her command. Husbands left their wives because of her.

Then I met - her. The very first time I was introduced to her I broke out into a deathly cold sweat. My heart and pulse raced and then seemed to stop, dead. I lost control of my limbs and faltered in my speech. I was never happy in her presence. I always felt sick and dizzy and depleted. Yet I could not remain away from her. She never bade me come to her, not in words. There was never any of the general trappings of assignations. I simply went to her, at odd hours of the day and night, impelled by an agency I neither saw nor heard.

I lost weight. I hardly slept. I had seen other young men fade and wither before my eyes and had heard the village folk whisper the dread cause. But when it came to me, I did not know the cause.
NBC radio in 1952.

Did it happen? Maybe not, but he seems to have an understanding from "the old country," having been born before the turn of the century. Lee just doesn't bring that.

On the flip side I always think of Peter Cushing first when I think of Van Helsing or Dr. Frankenstein. Although I think both Edward Van Sloan and Colin Clive were excellent.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:52 AM   #10
indrid13
Stalker

Lugosi all the way his Dracula is iconic.

My Blog
My DVDs
indrid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:26 AM   #11
othervoice1
HackMaster

Bela has the cool vampire stare with those eyes- I prefer him over Lee.
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:13 AM   #12
maybrick
HackMaster

Bela is good, but Lee has done the role 7 times for Hammer and at least once more for Franco. How often has Lugosi done it? Twice? No contest. Christopher Lee is just as "iconic" as Lugosi was in that role, if not, even MORE so.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:40 AM   #13
Erick H.
HackMaster

Both are excellent but I always appreciated the way Lee could switch from cool to savage in a flash.There was a nudging sexuality to him as well,he teased woman with his kiss before drawing blood.Bold stuff for the era.

Lugosi is iconic of course and whats more I think he is genuinely underrated as an actor.However I think he actually turned in horror performances even better than his turn in DRACULA.He's outstanding in WHITE ZOMBIE ("Murder Legendre" was one of his favorite roles),DARK EYES OF LONDON,THE BLACK CAT and MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE.

Lee gets my vote.Again,I put it to you,Christopher Lee really deserves to get a lifetime achievment Oscar.He's one of the last great horror stars and has made a huge contribution to many genres.Karloff,Lugosi,the Chaney's,Price and Cushing all slipped away from us before they got their due.We still have a chance with Christopher Lee,if the Academy wastes it then I think we'll all regret it.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:52 AM   #14
Darga
Narcissistic Personality

I was initially going to go with with Lee, but the more I thought about it I agree with X-Human. Lugosi IS Dracula. Anyone else is just a comparison.
Darga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:56 AM   #15
Darga
Narcissistic Personality

Although my favorite vampire is Nicolas Cage in "Vampire's Kiss".
Darga is offline   Reply With Quote