Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 02-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #61
King Diamond
Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepred View Post
Ok, then don't nitpick. I don't know what it really contributes.

Oh, they didn't really investigate in TCM, they just passively checked it out. *yawn*
The Blair Witch Project is about characters investigating a legend/case, and then being confronted by the very thing that they're investigating. The characters in Chainsaw are oblivious. They aren't following a trail of breadcrumbs that leads them to the family. They aren't even aware of the family. It's much more random and senseless than that. It's my personal feeling that the random/senseless nature of Chainsaw's story is partly why the movie works so well, and I wanted to make a point of it. That was my contribution. I'll leave it at that.

Last edited by King Diamond; 02-08-2013 at 06:29 PM.
King Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #62
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Diamond View Post
The Blair Witch Project is about characters investigating a legend/case, and then being confronted by the very thing that they're investigating. The characters in Chainsaw are oblivious. They aren't following a trail of breadcrumbs that leads them to the family. They aren't even aware of the family. It's much more random and senseless than that. It's my personal feeling that the random/senseless nature of Chainsaw's story is partly why the movie works so well, and I wanted to make a point of it. That was my contribution. I'll leave it at that.
I agree with you on that. Like you said, Blair Witch they were actively looking and TCM, they were passively looking. My main point is that they go out to look at something and that's how they end up where they are. The start points are similar, if outcomes and character motivations are not.

I agree that Blair Witch could be a cautionary tale of be careful what you wish/look for. Whereas in TCM, they are not actively looking and then randomly stumble onto it.

I don't think that the movies have much in common, that is why I was surprised when seeing the panels back to back that I saw quite a few similiarities.

TCM has a very bleak, existential feeling that we are on the same level as all other animals and the order in our everyday lives cannot save us. Whereas BWP doesn't really have that same kind of commentary embedded in it.

I don't know why I am so snarky lately.

Last edited by deepred; 02-08-2013 at 06:44 PM.
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #63
King Diamond
Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepred View Post
I don't know why I am so snarky lately.
It's all good. Water under the bridge.
King Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote