Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 02-21-2010, 11:57 PM   #31
MorallySound
There is no magic.

I saw this Friday night and thought it was pretty good. There were some issues of course with the plot, but I actually think I might like it better on a second viewing. DiCaprio also was much better than I was expecting, his accent wasn't nearly as thick or botched as I was expecting it to be since his previews attempts were all brutal. The one thing though that really stuck out was some sloppy editing... especially in the first 30 minutes of the film, there were quite a few cuts that definitely weren't 'invisible'...

But overall, it was a pretty good 'twist' film that doesn't feel like a letdown at the end. And the musical score was awesome!

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:02 AM   #32
The Chaostar
Johnny Hallyday forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorallySound View Post
I saw this Friday night and thought it was pretty good. There were some issues of course with the plot, but I actually think I might like it better on a second viewing. DiCaprio also was much better than I was expecting, his accent wasn't nearly as thick or botched as I was expecting it to be since his previews attempts were all brutal. The one thing though that really stuck out was some sloppy editing... especially in the first 30 minutes of the film, there were quite a few cuts that definitely weren't 'invisible'...

But overall, it was a pretty good 'twist' film that doesn't feel like a letdown at the end. And the musical score was awesome!
All those cuts were intentional. If I write more about it it will be one great spoiler. Even though, the film isn't about the twist. It is a GREAT movie btw.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:04 AM   #33
The Chaostar
Johnny Hallyday forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by russweiss View Post
I just saw the film and was disappointed. The end "surprise" was obvious to me from the beginning. Even the trailer kind of gives it away. I really enjoyed DiCaprio and Scorsese's last film The Departed but this one just didn't offer much of anything.
Again, Scorsese WANTS you to understand what is going on, that's why it was obvious to you and to almost anyone else. This is a different movie from what you think. Shit I have no time to write an extensive review but you have to see this in strictly "Scorsesian" terms. And see where God fits into this.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:59 PM   #34
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by russweiss View Post
The end "surprise" was obvious to me from the beginning. Even the trailer kind of gives it away.
I highly doubt it.

Anyway, I saw the film, it was quite good. Beautifully shot & acted.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:03 AM   #35
Workshed
October!

Man, did I ever get sucked into this one. Beautiful shots, and I loved the editing, especially early on. The flashbacks, the dreams, the paranoia; this is exactly what I want to watch. I thought the score was a bit oppressive in the beginning and it felt a little overdone ("din-din-din-din-DUNNN!").

But the opening was still so good--
Spoiler:
on the boat, when he can't find his smokes, I knew something was up,
and the arrival to the island was epic. What a great setting.

The one loose end that I dissatisfied with
Spoiler:
the part of his fantasy involving the apartment fire. There were so many shots of DiCaprio surrounded or haloed in smoke, and all of his fire-play: the matches, the car-bomb.
Did i miss something or was that never addressed?

I do feel like the trailer gave a lot away--or at least hinted at a lot, and I would have preferred to watch the film without
Spoiler:
being suspicious. I hate it when a film is promoted as having a "twist." Just let it happen naturally.
But that's hardly the filmmaker's fault. And then ending
Spoiler:
is devastating; just brutal. From finding his kids in the water to slipping back into his fantasy, yeesh.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:33 AM   #36
Cujo108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post
Spoiler:
From finding his kids in the water to slipping back into his fantasy, yeesh.
Spoiler:
I don't personally believe that he slipped back into his fantasy. His line about dying a good man hinted to me that he couldn't live with the pain of what happened, so he pretended to slip back so they would give him the procedure.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:43 AM   #37
Workshed
October!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo108 View Post
Spoiler:
I don't personally believe that he slipped back into his fantasy. His line about dying a good man hinted to me that he couldn't live with the pain of what happened, so he pretended to slip back so they would give him the procedure.
Holy shit, man. You are totally right. I was so caught up that it flew over my head. Wow. Thanks for the note.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:48 PM   #38
Criswell
HackMaster

Ok as a huge scorsese fan i have to admit this was not very good. The plot was incredibly obvious, the 'twist' glaringly obvious, looked way too much like a cheap homage Hitchcock film (De Palma anyone) and was overall pretty dull.

If anyone else but Martin made this it would have been panned mercilessly.

The double twist ( hinted at) at the end seemed tacked on, though it did improve it.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:44 PM   #39
The Chaostar
Johnny Hallyday forever

It wasnt about the twist. It is about the everending scorsese theme of sin and redemption. That's why the ending is so brilliant. I think this is where Scorsese was at with this one. Ofr course the twist was obvious, I think it was a choice he made, a huge gamble.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:24 AM   #40
Ash28M
HackMaster

I just noticed that this film has a rating of 8.0 on IMDB. I thought it was OK but 8.0 is just way too high.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #41
Mok
Family is Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash28M View Post
I just noticed that this film has a rating of 8.0 on IMDB. I thought it was OK but 8.0 is just way too high.
Totally agree. The end was kind of a let down. And this concept has been done to death.
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #42
Egg_Shen
broomhead

I liked this one quite a bit actually. I've seen it only once back when it was playing. It seemed Ben Kingsley was channeling Donald Pleasance's Dr. Loomis and some of the lighting (the crypt sequence) reminded me of a Mario Bava film. The music was great and Leo was very good, and I liked the ending very much. Especially the last line of the film. I wouldn't mind another viewing. I still haven't seen Hugo.
Egg_Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:57 AM   #43
Number Six
I am not a number...

Eh. An 8 is about what I'd give. Above average, "good" even, but not great.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:42 AM   #44
Ash28M
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number Six View Post
Eh. An 8 is about what I'd give. Above average, "good" even, but not great.
8 means just barely good on your scale? On IMDB 8 means top 250 movies of all time.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:26 AM   #45
Number Six
I am not a number...

It's like a scholastic grading system. (8 = 80% = B-) As I said, good but not great.

And who cares about IMDB ratings? They mean nothing to me.