Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 02-05-2010, 05:23 AM   #31
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fceurich39 View Post
Within the last year, out of the many positive achievements we've seen in our genre, I think the discovery of an uncut version of Clive Barker's Nightbreed is one of the coolest.

To catch you up, and I'll make this brief, for years Barker has said that excised footage from his monster mash has been missing. Last June, 145-minute cut was discovered. That cut is being screened for the first time at a Horrorhound convention next month go here

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news...s.php?id=13981
That will hopefully grab some attention and we may actually see a dvd release for this. Good news.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:36 AM   #32
KR~!
The Apocalyptic Kid

145 mins? I will be all over this, I just hope that they make a Blu-Ray edition.

- Johann von Goethe
KR~! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:42 AM   #33
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR~! View Post
145 mins? I will be all over this, I just hope that they make a Blu-Ray edition.
They have to get it remastered first as I assume it's all rather rough. Last I heard was that Universial or whoever owns it didn't think there would be enough interest to release it. Hopefully this screening and the emails people have been sending in are enough to show there is interest for this film out there.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:03 AM   #34
fceurich39
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
They have to get it remastered first as I assume it's all rather rough. Last I heard was that Universial or whoever owns it didn't think there would be enough interest to release it. Hopefully this screening and the emails people have been sending in are enough to show there is interest for this film out there.
not sure but i am looking at my nightbreed dvd i have and it is warner bros snapper case dvd so i think warner still owns the rights to it but movie rights to change though from time to time so i guess we'll see soon hopefully
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:10 AM   #35
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
not sure but i am looking at my nightbreed dvd i have and it is warner bros snapper case dvd so i think warner still owns the rights to it but movie rights to change though from time to time so i guess we'll see soon hopefully
I think you're right. WB does own the rights.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:29 AM   #36
Grim
HackMaster

Quote:
That might be a problem, as this is only a workprint that they've found and not the actual cut negatives. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Even so, we could, at the very least, have something with quality along the lines of the uncut My Bloody Valentine released.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:33 AM   #37
fceurich39
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim View Post
That might be a problem, as this is only a workprint that they've found and not the actual cut negatives. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Even so, we could, at the very least, have something with quality along the lines of the uncut My Bloody Valentine released.
warner bros did a good job with blade runner workprint on blu-ray but then again blade runner is in a entirely different league as nightbreed is in

heck i would almost settle for the screening transfer on dvd or blu-ray i don't care
Old 02-06-2010, 03:35 AM   #38
Grim
HackMaster

Quote:
warner bros did a good job with blade runner workprint on blu-ray but then again blade runner is in a entirely different league as nightbreed is in

heck i would almost settle for the screening transfer on dvd or blu-ray i don't care
Yeah Ridley Scott probably paid Warner Bros. cash out of pocket to have Jabba the Hutt freeze every cut of Blade Runner in carbonite.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:38 AM   #39
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:

As far as I'm aware they have access to negatives. I heard the footage is sitting and waiting in the vaults.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:42 AM   #40
Grim
HackMaster

Quote:
As far as I'm aware they have access to negatives. I heard the footage is sitting and waiting in the vaults.
Well sweet then, bring on a new HD transfer!
Old 02-06-2010, 03:45 AM   #41
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Well sweet then, bring on a new HD transfer!
I just checked here and it indeed seems that the footage is in negative form rather than just crappy video footage.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:58 AM   #42
Grim
HackMaster

Quote:
I just checked here and it indeed seems that the footage is in negative form rather than just crappy video footage.
In one of the interviews it does say the deleted footage is not lost, but lying in wait. Thing is though, that means if we want a proper remastered version, they would have to go back and basically recut the footage back into the film, do sound effects, miscellaneous effects, etc. That all would cost a lot of money. I just don't know if WB would consider it a good investment.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:03 AM   #43
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
In one of the interviews it does say the deleted footage is not lost, but lying in wait. Thing is though, that means if we want a proper remastered version, they would have to go back and basically recut the footage back into the film, do sound effects, miscellaneous effects, etc. That all would cost a lot of money. I just don't know if WB would consider it a good investment.
Well that's the whole point of why it hasn't happened yet, they don't. It's going to take a lot to convince them.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:29 PM   #44
fceurich39
HackMaster

an update on the dvd release

"We're happy to report that, over the past several months, we've had a number of cordial and constructive conversations with Morgan Creek, the studio that owns the rights to Nightbreed.
Morgan Creek initiated these conversations - prompted by the huge petition and support for an extended Nightbreed DVD release on this very page and by the noise you've generated on horror sites across the internet.
So thank you to everyone who's added their name and their voice so far and for all your passionate and eloquent support of the movie!

However, we're less happy to have to tell you that, after discussing the current home entertainment market in "the horror genre" with Warner Bros., Morgan Creek have decided to take "a pause" before deciding to move forward with the DVD release we're all calling for.
They've adopted a "not now" position, telling us that, in their opinion, the current market will not support the required investment in reassembling the master reels to produce a director's cut of the movie.

Now, it's not a "never" position - which is a real step forward... - but it is a huge disappointment. We are therefore asking for your continued help in showing the size and commitment of Nightbreed's audience.
Please continue to show your support for an extended release by adding your names to the list below (our e-mail details are below) and by continuing to talk about this campaign in forums and blogs.
We're working with Clive on planning our next series of conversations with Morgan Creek - your support is what caught the studio's attention in the first place, so please let's keep it going. Our thanks in advance!

In the meantime, the studio has approved a one-night-only screening of the work-in-progress VHS workprint (again, news of the discovery of that below...). This will screen at the upcoming Horrorhound convention in Indianopolis on the evening of Saturday, 27 March 2010. The convention details - with an anticipated Nightbreed reunion - are at the HorrorHound convention site.

Again, heartfelt thanks from Clive and ourselves - our quest for a DVD release of the extended Nightbreed as Clive originally intended it continues... "
Old 02-06-2010, 06:37 PM   #45
Grim
HackMaster

That's pretty cool. Little progress is better than no progress.