Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 08-24-2009, 04:29 PM   #46
Body Boy
HackMaster

Oh yes. I love The Outing. It's one of those flicks in addition to Night Warning and Silent Scream that you wonder "how has this not been on DVD for all this time?"
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:24 PM   #47
rhett

I thought this was another plea for SCREAM (also called THE OUTING). Not only is it notoriously bad, but it has the names of not one, but two other horror films. Whatever version of THE OUTING you can release I'll be a happy camper.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:33 PM   #48
bloodthrill
Stalker

Whoo-hoo! Glad to see others enjoyed this one-really though,how can you not be a "slasher in any setting fan",and not love a splatterfest set in a museum after-hours?

Love the Internet.See Ms. St. Avanyi's reply message (less than 24 hours later) below:

Hi, Chris. Thanks for your compliments. Yes, that's me. We filmed THE OUTING in Houston in April 1986 (where I was in college), and it was released in the spring of 1987.

I would be more than happy to contribute to special features -- although my principal contribution is likely to be pure bafflement: "you LOVE the film? It has "full glory"?!!"

To complete the picture: THE OUTING was my only film. I became a writer. I live in Northridge, in the valley, and work as a script consultant in the film industry -- so at least I'm close by if there's a day when the cast will get together to film anything. Scott Bankston and Barry are also here in LA. It would be great fun to get the cast together. Let me know how things progress -- and best of luck!

Andra
--------------------

C'mon,Bill-this one could definitely sell!
Old 08-24-2009, 07:08 PM   #49
bloodthrill
Stalker

My reply to Andra,if anyone would like to read it (A game actress,a "lost" djinn-slasher worthy of full restoration.... man,if this proves to be a disappointment...

Andra,

Thanks so much for getting back with me,(and so quickly!). I knew from the picture (and name) it had to be you.

You're welcome so far as the compliments go-you did a great job with what you were given in a lower-budgeted film,and look lovely to this day. Houston..I recall reading that in a magazine article,most likely Fangoria.The museum location proved to be an ideal,unusual location for the shoot,and perhaps one of the reasons it has sustained itself somewhat .

I have passed on to the distributor that you would be up for a reunion,or at the least, some sort of interview.As of this moment,I haven't received a reply from him,as I only recently submitted the request for them (Code Red DVD,a new-to-the-game company who has already released fully-loaded, quality editions of many genre favorites, if you would like to check their website).

Your "bafflement" as to the merits of the film is to be expected-obviously it wasn't up for any Oscars,and probably seemed to you like a fun project you were paid a few hundred for as a college student,rarely to be seen again.

Rest assured,you're not the first actor/actress to question the validity of a minor cult classic like The Outing.To fans,however,it represents a by-gone time of spooky VHS covers in old mom n 'pop type video stores,and the first "killer genie" flick ever made.With surprisingly- good gore effects,and an entertaining plot to keep audiences interested,in its own way,your little movie has developed (an albeit small) devoted following.

It is interesting that you became a writer,I write myself.What subject/genre do you primarily focus on?

I will keep you posted as to developments,(and if rights to the film prove to be hell,detours).

Once again,thanks.

*Insert Name*

*Update:*Also emailed Bill's site directly,in case he hasn't been able to check in recently.

Last edited by bloodthrill; 08-24-2009 at 07:30 PM.
bloodthrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:39 PM   #50
rhett

Great work, man. Sounds like something that could definitely happen!
Old 08-24-2009, 08:09 PM   #51
bloodthrill
Stalker

Thanks,my dude.Here's hoping.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:10 PM   #52
CodeRedDVd

I looked into this film 2 year ago. THE LAMP was picked up a US company called MOVIESTORE for the U.S/Canada and retitled it THE OUTING for theatrical release and home video. The company was swallowed up by MGM. I had a talk with two of the lawyers at MGM and they do not want to sublicense any films to me. They have the home video rights till 2018 (I think). Too bad, for I found the film to be actually quite entertaining!
Old 08-24-2009, 08:25 PM   #53
bloodthrill
Stalker

Dicks! Looks like it's time to start the harassment of MGM again,(albeit tactfully),and throw a bone back to the possible Video Dead release,which could fit into the Midnite Movies line nicely with The Lamp/The Outing.Mentioning Ms. St. Ivanyi's interest in participating might not be a bad idea,either-remember their loaded Killer Klowns and Dressed To Kill editions,among many others?

Chris
Old 08-24-2009, 08:32 PM   #54
Hellbilly
Water-squirting greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodthrill View Post
Dicks! Looks like it's time to start the harassment of MGM again,(albeit tactfully),and throw a bone back to the possible Video Dead release,which could fit into the Midnite Movies line nicely with The Lamp/The Outing.Mentioning Ms. St. Ivanyi's interest in participating might not be a bad idea,either-remember their loaded Killer Klowns and Dressed To Kill editions,among many others?

Chris
I guess the next logical step is a The Outing myspace page, get enough people to join and then contact MGM.
Count me in as another The Outing on DVD supporter
Old 08-24-2009, 09:26 PM   #55
fceurich39
HackMaster

yep and mgm has noticed the amount of support for the video dead knowing it has a cult following now so stuff is definitly happening with the video dead now

Last edited by fceurich39; 08-24-2009 at 09:29 PM.
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:45 PM   #56
Body Boy
HackMaster

Oh well. I'm content with having it on VHS at the moment just the same. Plus there are tons of other titles CR can release too, so not a complete loss.

Iguana with the Tongue of Fire (1971), Eye in the Labyrinth (1972), Welcome to Arrow Beach (1974), Visions of Evil (1975), Ghost Dance (1980), Midnight Offerings (1981) (TV), A Day of Judgment (1981), Blood Link (1982), Twisted Nightmare (1982), The Returning (1983), Satan's Blade (1984), Appointment with Fear (1985), Ritual of Death (1990)...man, there's so many films out there, it's ridiculous!
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:21 AM   #57
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRedDVd View Post
I looked into this film 2 year ago. THE LAMP was picked up a US company called MOVIESTORE for the U.S/Canada and retitled it THE OUTING for theatrical release and home video. The company was swallowed up by MGM. I had a talk with two of the lawyers at MGM and they do not want to sublicense any films to me. They have the home video rights till 2018 (I think). Too bad, for I found the film to be actually quite entertaining!
Damn, more owned by MGM? They still have a ton of small movies that I desperately want on DVD! They could release so many of these as double features in a resurrected line of Midnite Movies.

If the film rights went to Moviestore, then MGM does hold the rights now.

I have both the old VHS of The Outing and the UK DVD under its alternate title The Lamp, which will tide me over until/if it gets a solid release.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:51 PM   #58
bloodthrill
Stalker

I kind of figured MGM would have a hand in the total lack of U.S. release,as I emailed Bill.Leave it to the "Big Guys" to stop a good company from offering a minor classic to the film,and stopping a small chunk of funds from falling into their own fat pocket as well.

The Facebook page will have to wait a few days,as I'm house sitting through the rest of the week.I'm only home to check on my cats.Hey-gotta have dough to grab up all these sick upcoming releases! I can see it now-The Outing/Video Dead Double Feature, MSRP:$12.99

Dead:
Lenticular cover featuring original artwork(YES!)
Cast Commentary featuring Rocky Duvall,Roxanna Augesen,Vickie Bastel,and Jennifer Miro("The Woman")

"A Recipe That's Been In My Family For Generations"-A look back at majoring in aerobics,minoring in music video,and deceiving zombies with canned dog food,featuring star Roxanna Augesen

Extensive screenshot gallery

Original video trailer

The Outing/Lamp:

"Be Careful What You Wish For"-Andra St. Ivanyi on after-hours museum revelry,demonic genie possession,and the dubious fan appreciation of the film more than twenty years later

Alternate title sequence

"Wish Granted"-Skip ahead to the graphic demises of idiotic teenage trespassers-censored and unrated versions(if I'm not completely nuts,and differences exist)
Old 08-26-2009, 12:27 AM   #59
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodthrill View Post
I can see it now-The Outing/Video Dead Double Feature, MSRP:$12.99
Hell, I'd buy it for several times that SRP.

I've seen The Outing more times over the years than I can count. I probably wore out the rental video at the local supermarket back in the day.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:07 PM   #60
fceurich39
HackMaster

i found a website dedicated to this movie the strangeness
http://web.me.com/chris_huntley/The_...s/Welcome.html
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
code red, the strangeness