Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 04-22-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
Cydeous
Axxon N

Witchmaker

I heard that this 1969 movie was pretty good so I tried hunting it down and came across this at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/WITCHMAKER-SPE...0425830&sr=1-1.

I'm not sure if this is well known or not and it seems to be a DVD on demand, which is burned onto a DVD-R once ordered. I decided to give it a shot since I really do want to watch this film and I thought that I'd pass the information along in case others were curious about it too. I have only seen the first 15 minutes of the film in a very bad quality, pan and scan, VHS transfer, and it had enough good atmosphere that made me stop watching it and search for a better copy.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:45 PM   #2
Angelman
HackMaster

It is very good - but you have to see it widescreen.
Angelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:45 PM   #3
Darga
Narcissistic Personality

That looks pretty interesting. Let us know how the quality is for that DVR.
Darga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:53 PM   #4
Cydeous
Axxon N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelman View Post
It is very good - but you have to see it widescreen.
I think that it's 2.35:1 but I'll confirm that when I get the disc. Now I'm worried
Old 04-23-2009, 01:00 AM   #5
Angelman
HackMaster

The print floating around is 2.35... You should be good.
Angelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:15 AM   #6
f.ramses
Maniac

The studio listed there is Sinister Cinema and according to Midnight Video their release is just a copy of their exclusive print. They make no attempt to substantiate their claim that the one from Sinister Cinema is somehow of lower quality and I'd be surprised if it wasn't the same. Shouldn't a copy of a DVD, provided it was 1:1, be the same as the original?

Last edited by f.ramses; 04-23-2009 at 02:20 AM.
f.ramses is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:50 AM   #7
eric_angelus
Testacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.ramses View Post
The studio listed there is Sinister Cinema and according to Midnight Video their release is just a copy of their exclusive print. They make no attempt to substantiate their claim that the one from Sinister Cinema is somehow of lower quality and I'd be surprised if it wasn't the same. Shouldn't a copy of a DVD, provided it was 1:1, be the same as the original?
Midnight has always liked to toot their own horn a bit to sell their product. I am not saying they don't deal in good stuff...it's just that they would have you believe you can't get the same product elsewhere, and often cheaper....which is not the case.

That said, I have always been curious to see this film. It used to run on the USA network back in the day, but somehow I always seemed to miss it.
eric_angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:02 PM   #8
f.ramses
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_angelus View Post
Midnight has always liked to toot their own horn a bit to sell their product. I am not saying they don't deal in good stuff...it's just that they would have you believe you can't get the same product elsewhere, and often cheaper....which is not the case.

That said, I have always been curious to see this film. It used to run on the USA network back in the day, but somehow I always seemed to miss it.
I've ordered a few of their DVD-R's and they were worth it; I wouldn't be surprised if I ordered more sometime in the future but only if I can't find original's of the stuff they're selling. I kinda figured the quality thing was as you say but wasn't totally sure I wasn't missing something here either.
Regarding the movie I have an old VHS of this that I watched a long time ago, at worst the movie was decent because if it sucked I would have remembered. This thread kind of makes me want to re-watch it and now I'm wondering how the run time on the one I have compares to the one's we're talking about here, I'll have to check when I get home...
f.ramses is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:15 AM   #9
Cydeous
Axxon N

For some reason I thought that Midnight Video was gone but I can now see that it's still there but it seems as though they are selling off their stock. I have ordered from them in the past and I have no complaints.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:54 AM   #10
Cydeous
Axxon N

The DVD came in and I have already watched it. I liked the movie overall - there were some cool sets and I loved the atmosphere. There were a few hokey scenes that took away from the overall creepiness, IMO.

There are 2 DVDs: the first contains the trailer for the movie plus the 4:3 version; the second contains the 2.35:1 version plus a trailer for "Twisted Nerve." The quality isn't that great but watchable. It's non anamorphic and there are a lot of dust spots and scratches.

Overall, I'm glad that I finally got to see this film and that I purchased the disc.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:21 PM   #11
Darga
Narcissistic Personality

I picked up that Sinister Cinema version and never got around to watching it. Now Retromedia is supposed to be putting out a nice anamorphic version in June. Good news except for the fact that I wasted my money on that bootleg.
Darga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:06 PM   #12
FilmFiend
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darga View Post
I picked up that Sinister Cinema version and never got around to watching it. Now Retromedia is supposed to be putting out a nice anamorphic version in June. Good news except for the fact that I wasted my money on that bootleg.
If this is true I will buy it. I've been wanting to see The Witchmaker for years. I wonder if it will have both endings?
FilmFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #13
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

Code Red currently has this dvd for sale: http://codereddvd.bigcartel.com/prod...deluxe-edition

Has anyone seen this Code Red release? I've never even seen this movie in any format, but was curious about it.
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:58 AM   #14
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by satans-sadists View Post
Code Red currently has this dvd for sale: http://codereddvd.bigcartel.com/prod...deluxe-edition

Has anyone seen this Code Red release? I've never even seen this movie in any format, but was curious about it.
I bought it when it came out originally. It's a fairly entertaining (not great though) film. Very late-60's in atmosphere, and perhaps a little tame by today's standards. If you like "Witchcraft" Horror films you'd probably enjoy it.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #15
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
I bought it when it came out originally. It's a fairly entertaining (not great though) film. Very late-60's in atmosphere, and perhaps a little tame by today's standards. If you like "Witchcraft" Horror films you'd probably enjoy it.
Thanks for your honest feedback, it's always appreciated. I may add this to my next Code Red order.
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote