Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-15-2010, 01:07 AM   #46
Egg_Shen
broomhead

http://twitchfilm.net/reviews/2010/0...ard-review.php

Judging from this review, and the comments of people on the board, this one sounds kind of... generic.
Egg_Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:10 AM   #47
MaxRenn
Stalker

See, I prefer Carpenter do "personal" films like Vampires and Ghosts of Mars (both of which I enjoyed) instead of this which sounds like something that anybody could turn out. The plot and casting seem so boring. Vampires had James Woods and Ghosts was just pulpy fun.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:48 AM   #48
Cydeous
Axxon N

I watched The Ward at the Toronto International Film Festival today and I really enjoyed it. I won't give anything away and I wouldn't call it just something anyone can throw together. It definitely had Carpenter's unique style and I liked the choice of music. For the record, I liked this more than Vampires and Ghosts of Mars even though I liked those movies as well.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:43 AM   #49
MacReady
Stalker

What is the release date for "The Ward" in the USA?

September 24th?
Old 09-20-2010, 09:37 AM   #50
rhett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cydeous View Post
It definitely had Carpenter's unique style and I liked the choice of music.
Faith restored.

As for release date, does The Ward even have a US distributor? I don't think we'll be seeing it in September in anything other than a festival release...
Old 09-20-2010, 03:04 PM   #51
TheDreamMaster
Stalker

Right now, The Ward doesn't have a distributor. That fact kind of scares me...I mean, you'd think a Carpenter flick would be able to secure one easily unless it's just a total pile of shit.
TheDreamMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:06 PM   #52
Egg_Shen
broomhead

Well, it's an independent film. Carpenter hasn't done one like that since They Live, and that movie didn't turn out so badly did it? Hopefully it'll get a studio attached soon and we'll get to see it early next year.

Apparently JC was unable to make it to the festival because of jury duty. Can you imagine being on a jury with him? I'd ask him movie questions the whole time, and I'm sure he'd be annoyed as hell and say, "We've got real work to do kid!". Anyway, here's a recording of an intro he made for the flick. I love him saying it's “an old school horror movie made by an old school director". Sounds good to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnbOHEwF0O0
Egg_Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:08 PM   #53
TheDreamMaster
Stalker

I bet a million bucks that Carpener showed up for jury duty instead of the film festival because the former actually paid him to be there.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:26 PM   #54
Ash28M
HackMaster

Talk about bad luck. The world premier of his first film in a decade and he has to miss it because of Jury duty. I got called for jury duty a few of years ago. I was actually excited about possibly being part of a jury and disappointed when the case got thrown out. I remember half the people there were coming up with any excuse they could to get out of it.

Last edited by Ash28M; 01-13-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:39 PM   #55
Matt89
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDreamMaster View Post
I bet a million bucks that Carpener showed up for jury duty instead of the film festival because the former actually paid him to be there.
Yeah no kidding. What a joke.

~Matt
Old 09-21-2010, 05:46 AM   #56
Cydeous
Axxon N

Quote:
Right now, The Ward doesn't have a distributor. That fact kind of scares me...I mean, you'd think a Carpenter flick would be able to secure one easily unless it's just a total pile of shit.
Very insightful Just because a distributor hasn't picked it up doesn't mean the movie is a pile of shit. I don't think that securing a distributor would mean it was a great movie, either. After all, M. Night Shaymalan is able to get his movies distributed and they really do suck. That's some crazy ass logic!

For those that are interested here is a review with a link to an interview: http://twitchfilm.net/reviews/2010/0...ard-review.php
Old 09-21-2010, 01:52 PM   #57
TheDreamMaster
Stalker

Quote:
After all, M. Night Shaymalan is able to get his movies distributed and they really do suck.
Yes, but despite poor critical/popular reception, his movies still make money, and that's what it's all about. If Carpenter had been out there churning out even modest hits for the past ten years, I think The Ward would have already secured distribution. But the fact is, Ghosts of Mars was a big thud at the box office, and Carpenter's name doesn't carry clout anymore; The Ward needed a great festival showing (part of the point for these things are for securing distribution) to generate some buzz. It doesn't seem like it has; that doesn't mean it can't still be a good movie (God knows I hope it is because you're not likely to find many bigger Carpenter fanboys than me), but it also doesn't inspire a ton of confidence.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:12 PM   #58
Cydeous
Axxon N

Quote:
Yes, but despite poor critical/popular reception, his movies still make money, and that's what it's all about. If Carpenter had been out there churning out even modest hits for the past ten years, I think The Ward would have already secured distribution. But the fact is, Ghosts of Mars was a big thud at the box office, and Carpenter's name doesn't carry clout anymore; The Ward needed a great festival showing (part of the point for these things are for securing distribution) to generate some buzz. It doesn't seem like it has; that doesn't mean it can't still be a good movie (God knows I hope it is because you're not likely to find many bigger Carpenter fanboys than me), but it also doesn't inspire a ton of confidence.
True enough about Shamalamadingdong. Hopefully The Ward gets picked up now that it's doing the festival circuit. I really liked it and I think that it will be well received by Carpenter fans, or people oblivious to the fact that it's a Carpenter flick.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:11 AM   #59
MacReady
Stalker

Anyone have any updates on the USA release?
Old 01-13-2011, 05:13 PM   #60
baggio
HackMaster

The Ward

Release date in the UK is January 21, 2011.. As for a US release, I have no idea.

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwsl12lX1oQ
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote