Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-22-2011, 01:21 AM   #61
aoiookami
Demon Fetishist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrendel View Post
True but everybody should have known that CGI was gonna be a big part of this film.
Yeah agreed, I never had any real doubt the majority of it would be CGI, just my original point was in response to how those who worked on this movie were boasting about the practical effects, and how smartly and limited the CGI would be used, when the bulk of what I've seen so far is average/below average looking CGI.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:30 AM   #62
JGrendel
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoiookami View Post
Yeah agreed, I never had any real doubt the majority of it would be CGI, just my original point was in response to how those who worked on this movie were boasting about the practical effects, and how smartly and limited the CGI would be used, when the bulk of what I've seen so far is average/below average looking CGI.
Well & really of course they're gonna boast about the practical effects, it's not like they're gonna boast about they're crappy CGI.
JGrendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:18 AM   #63
The Chaostar
Johnny Hallyday forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel76 View Post
Would Stop-Motion look more real?
Actually it is real.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:27 AM   #64
JGrendel
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chaostar View Post
Actually it is real.
No!!! The hell you say!!! lol
JGrendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #65
halloweennight
Screamy Bopper

I just watched the original. One of the best special effects in a horror movie that was ever made. They really used their brains comming up with ways of realism. The mutations/transformations were unreal. nothing quite like it in any film i've ever seen. I would say the resident evil games may have been inspired by these transforations from this classic. As far as cgi goes. I hate all cgi. Though it can be tolerable if it is very limited. When people say there are things you can't do without it, that is just not true. They just aren't using their brains or immagination. If you really want to be creative you can make it happen. I also think good movies could still be made, but it is very unlikely. I've seen a few after 2000, but not many. I think around 97 98 is when the movie industry really really started to change. Another thing i find funny... Jurassic park was made in 1993. Great Movie. The non cgi special effects were out of this world. I will say though the cgi in that movie is way better than the cgi in most movies today. This was 18 years ago. Why did the cgi get worse?
halloweennight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #66
Steel76
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chaostar View Post
Actually it is real.
You DO know that stop-motion creatures are just animated puppets and not real

Seriously, Yes, stop-motion is shot in camera, BUT, it doesnīt exactly look anymore real than CGI. Sure stop-motion is sweet and has a charm, but looking more real? No fucking way.

If CGI was the only way to make that creature run towards the camera in the corridor, then why not use it instead of limiting everything?

If special FX didnīt evolve, then we would still be where it was at the beginning at the 20th century.

I bet people that grew up on "The Thing from Another World" thought the 1982 remake was nothing but a spectacle in SFX aswell

Stop-motion, CGI, what ever works to tell the damn story.

If I did a monster movie, I would go as far as possible with animatronics and practical, but no way I would limit myself to it, if I needed a spectacular chase scene with the monster.

And to be honest, I LOVE the original, itīs one of my top 5 movies of all time. But even though the practical FX are AMAZING, they DO look a bit stiff and plastic at times. The spider head doesnīt exactly look real when it runs across the floor, as the spider feets isnīt even touching it. Plus when they burn it, someone is just shaking the burning head on a stick, etc.

As Phil Tippet said in an interview, around the time before they did Jurassic Park, they had pretty much reached the limit to what you could do with animatronics/practical, and without CGI, Jurassic Park wouldnīt exactly been as spectacular as it turned out.

I got NOTHING against CGI, as long as itīs not on PS2/Sy-FY Channel level, and the CGI in The Thing is WAY better than that.

So stop being so damn negative, folks, and just enjoy the damn movie for what it is, a fuckinī MONSTER MOVIE

Canīt wait to see the prequel and 1982 movie as a double feature

Last edited by Steel76; 09-22-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Steel76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:43 PM   #67
aoiookami
Demon Fetishist

Regarding stop motion; I can't even think of the last modern movie I've seen use this technique that wasn't a feature like Coreline or Corpse Bride etc., but I have no doubt it would look comparable or even better and more real than alot of CGI we see today, given, it IS done with real, tangible puppets. The fact that the At At battle scene in Star Wars 30 years ago looks better than some CGI we see today says something.. And after stuff like Coreline, I don't doubt we could see some impressive use of it given todays technology. Of course, speaking from experience no one today would pay traditional animators enough to test the theory. I would love to see it come back though.

Last edited by aoiookami; 09-22-2011 at 10:13 PM.
aoiookami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #68
Hellbilly
Water-squirting greatness

According to Universal-Europe the R-Rated version of The Thing prequel passed German movie censors untouched. They gave it the youth-friendly "16" rating - which equals a PG-13, kind of.
German censors are usually very strict when it comes to violence in movies but they didn't seem to have a problem with The Thing.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:37 PM   #69
SaviniFan
I Have A Fetish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbilly View Post
According to Universal-Europe the R-Rated version of The Thing prequel passed German movie censors untouched. They gave it the youth-friendly "16" rating - which equals a PG-13, kind of.
German censors are usually very strict when it comes to violence in movies but they didn't seem to have a problem with The Thing.
I think in most societies, sci-fi violence in film is tolerated much more than realistic depictions of violence like serial killer films. Just consider when Carpenter's "The Thing" came out. The MPAA was going hog wild on anything that even remotely resembled Friday the 13th, but The Thing contains all kinds of gruesome monsters and violence against the humans. I don't think I've even heard that anything was cut from the film to receive an "R" rating. The scene where the doctor has his hands bit off is very graphic, but if that was Jason chopping off his hands you can bet your ass some of it would have been cut to avoid an "X" rating.

PS3 Gamer Tag: SaviniFan Steam Gamer Tag: ToastyBuffoon

My DVD Profiler
SaviniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:04 PM   #70
spawningblue
Deadite

I'm still going to see this, but I admit, like others, I am a little less excited seeing the new trailer full of CGI. Especially considering they went on and on about how they were going for practical effects over CG. Maybe most of the CG used is in the trailer as the marketing people think that will sell over the practical effects. Either way I will be checking this out the first day and hoping for the best. And even though she is no Kurt Russell, I am a huge fan of Mary Elizabeth Winstead. Final Destination 3, Grindhouse, Black Christmas, Scott Pilgrim, Die Hard 4, The Ring 2, ect. She is seems to be the new cult queen.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:54 PM   #71
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoiookami View Post
Looks just like the events of the first one too. This IS a prequel right? Looks like remake..
In it's defense, it should look a lot like the first one. It's the same setting as the first, with the same creature which does things the same way. We know this from the first film.

Of course as we all know how it will end, one could ask "what's the point?" I still get chills when that dark theme music kicks in, so I'm in, CGI or not.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:57 PM   #72
shift
Ring who?

All the discussion, wow.

I just like to say "I'm going to check it out".

Looks like it'll be a fun flick to check out!
Old 09-25-2011, 07:01 AM   #73
BloodMan
Kill Time B4 It Kills You

the Russian trailer shows "splitface" real good n' long-like!

If I Don't Have The Right To Torture You, Why Then Do You Have The Right To Torture Me By Taking Away The Pleasure That I Could Get From Torturing You?

Remember, one cannot make footprints in the sands of time by sitting on their butt, and who wants to leave butt prints in the sands of time?
BloodMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:59 AM   #74
Severn
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrendel View Post
True but everybody should have known that CGI was gonna be a big part of this film.
For sure but the pre-production talks were all about how they were working with practical effects and how amazing they'd look. That's why when all this CG is shown that really makes the prior talk about practical effects just that, talk.
Severn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:58 PM   #75
Ash28M
HackMaster

I was surprised how effective this was. The CGI was also very well done, which was what I was worried about. Pretty good characters and atmosphere as well. My only complaint is that the score could of been more engulfing. Much better then expected.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote