geeare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mok View Post
Yeah, a better a idea would be to do a remake
^^^^^ NOT what he said ^^^^^
Old 09-16-2008, 06:27 PM   #17
Mattapooh
Maniac

Best bet is to merge the two, which can be done really well (Hellboy II being a great example).
Mattapooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:28 PM   #18
geeare

how about leave it alone as one of the best horror movies ever made.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:02 PM   #19
Chunkblower
Stalker

I'm really glad we're going to find out what happened to the Norwegians. I've never been able to fully enjoy Carpenter's film with this question mark hanging over my head.
Chunkblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:38 AM   #20
Mark Relford
Chairman of the Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeare View Post
how about leave it alone as one of the best horror movies ever made.
Agreed! If you want a prequel/sequel, read the damn comics or play the video game.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:58 PM   #21
rijir
Stalker

I don't need to see what happened to the Norwegians. We all know they all died. So what fun is a move where we know they will all die. Plus shouldn't they speek Norwegian? I don't want to watch 2 hours of subtitles. But if they spoke english it wouldn't make sense. A prequel is a stupid idea. And I would even fear a sequel because even Carpenter would f it up. Anyone see Escape from LA? He has lost all of my respect. He has even said he would sell all rights to remake his films for the right amount of money. He doesn't own The Thing though.

And to think this won't be all CGI is foolish. You know a majority of the effects will be CGI. It is cheaper than physical effects. And they won't hire Rob Bottin either.

I hope this is just more talk and it doesn't happen.
rijir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:14 PM   #22
YottNik
Pay the price!

Yes, please leave it alone. Hasn't anyone seen the Prom Night remake? AAIIEE!

"Those who know what's best for us
Must rise and save us from ourselves." -- Peart

"They call me Slick."
YottNik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:40 PM   #23
aoiookami
Demon Fetishist

I for one am interested in this. It's been awhile since I watched the original, but was it confirmed for certain that no one escaped the Norwegian base alive? Its entirely possible there could have been a/some survivor(s), as there were in the first film. Also there are lots of movies I've loved where the outcome is already known, or made clear from the start. Also theres been a real shortage of sci-fi horror movies lately, I cant even think of the last good sci-fi horror......beggars cant be choosers.

I also dont get the whole 'leave it alone' thing. What does that even mean? The movie is decades old, a new movie, even if shitty, will in no way affect an already dead franchise. Its not like if the new movie sucks the next time you open your Thing dvd it will be replaced by a moldy turd.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:22 AM   #24
MrVess

Wonderful. I hope it will explore everything, from the childhood of MacReady, with an obligatory scene showing his first big cowboy hat, to the childhood of the creature and the scene showing how it absorbed its first alien Flying Machine Workshop teacher. It should show and explain everything, in order to appeal to the hip modern audiences and their "Duuuhhh, but why dat happen? Who dat wuz? Why he like dat? Where he from? Durr, me want sandwich!" mentality.

What, what's that? Huh? What the hell are "imagination" and "mystery"? Must be some ancient concepts that can't even be uploaded to Myspace. Who needs them.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:37 AM   #25
spawningblue
Deadite

Just because it's being made now doesn't mean it will had a bad script, bad director, bad actors, and that it will explain everything. Again, lets shit on every horror film that's made, and only like ones before 1990. How about you be positive and hope that maybe something good can come out of this. Every time a horror film is announced all you hear about is people bitching and insulting it before pre-production has even started! Remakes, sequels, and prequels do not ruin the original film like aoiookami already said. If you hate it, you will always have the original to go back to. Did Jason X ruin the fun of the other Friday the 13th films? Did Exorcist: The Beginning make the Exorcist worse? I'm not saying it's going to be good, but I hope that somehow it is, and who knows, maybe they will use lots of practical effects. Depending on the director, that is very plausible, as there are lots of directors out there that like to use a little of everything. Anyways, just sick of the negativity from horror fans of films they haven't seen, hell haven't even read a script or seen a trailer for.
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:42 AM   #26
Workshed
October!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVess View Post
It should show and explain everything, in order to appeal to the hip modern audiences and their "Duuuhhh, but why dat happen? Who dat wuz? Why he like dat? Where he from?
this was great.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:44 AM   #27
rijir
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoiookami View Post
I also dont get the whole 'leave it alone' thing. What does that even mean? The movie is decades old, a new movie, even if shitty, will in no way affect an already dead franchise. Its not like if the new movie sucks the next time you open your Thing dvd it will be replaced by a moldy turd.
My negativity comes from a lack of faith in Hollywood to make a good horror/sci-fi movie these days. My favorite film of all time is Alien. I also loved Aliens. When Alien 3 was coming out I was totally geeked only to be shit upon by a waste of film. Then part 4. And then came the AVP shit fests. Now the Alien series is beyond repair. Even the directors of the first 2 have said the AVP films ruined the series.

I don't want that to happen to The Thing.

Just leave it alone.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:45 AM   #28
aoiookami
Demon Fetishist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijir View Post
Just leave it alone.
I appreciate your explanation. But when you watch Alien and Aliens they are still great arent they? And you never have to watch any other entry every again.

Also people were probably like 'Aliens? Great, lets just add more creatures, guns and explosions for those 'hip modern audiences''
Old 09-18-2008, 06:24 AM   #29
Criswell
HackMaster

Do prequals ever work?

As for the Norwegians......... they all died the same way the yanks did!
Old 09-18-2008, 04:57 PM   #30
rijir
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoiookami View Post
I appreciate your explanation. But when you watch Alien and Aliens they are still great arent they? And you never have to watch any other entry every again.
As a movie fan I will constantly encourage others to watch films that I like. When you have a group of films like the Alien series where only the first 2 ar good and the rest totally suck you will have many who were introduced to the series with the ones that suck. So now they have already decided that the whole series isn't worth watching based on the bad ones.

This also works with remakes. If you tell someone to watch a film like The Fog, they will probably say "Oh yes I saw that and it sucked". When really all they know of and saw was the substandard remake and not the classic original. I hate having to explain about the existance of the original films because all they know if is the shitty remakes.