Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 10-11-2007, 12:49 AM   #31
Jason25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo1313 View Post
Cinema Wasteland was one of the best times ever,as usual. Next April will be even above best ever. An Ilsa reunion with Dyanne Thorne and Don Edmonds plus Spider Baby reunion and ever great John Morghen. Even Austin Stoker from Twisted Barin,Abby and Assault on Precinct 13. Be prepared for one of the greatest shows ever.
It was a fun show. I had a blast chatting with Charles Band. I posted about it on my website and posted a pic of my purchases.

http://cultandobscurecinema.com/PHP-...article&sid=26
Jason25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:36 PM   #32
Ash28M
HackMaster

Just booked my hotel for Cinema Wasteland in April I've never been there before but I'm looking forward to it. Anyone else showing up?
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:47 PM   #33
Enutz666
Stalker

I'll be at Wasteland this year looks to be a pretty awesome show
Enutz666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:07 PM   #34
Jason25

Count me in. It does indeed look like a good show.
Jason25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:26 PM   #35
Grim
HackMaster

When I was younger I would pay the insane prices for autographs, now I Just can't. i had Savini sign a bunch of stuff for me about five years ago and he never charged. Linda Blair is a bitch, flat out. Most of my money is spent in the dealer rooms. Last horrorfind I went to in August, I was flat broke, but I did stand in the Malcolm McDowell line anyway, just to shake his hand.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:12 AM   #36
DeathDealer
I Inhale Horror

I hope to attend Chiller this year. Gonna be coming from Texas to travel to NYC and hopefully stop by at the convention on Saturday.

Thoughts on the convention? How are the vendors? Do they have some great stuff for sale (rare, imports)?

My Dvd CollectioN

Top 6 Directors Of All Time (No Order) -

1. Quentin Tarantino (America) 2. Dario Argento (Italy) 3. Takashi Miike (Japan)
Ingmar Bergman (Sweden) 5. Akira Kurosawa (Japan) 6. Martin Scorsese (America)
DeathDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:17 PM   #37
eric_angelus
Testacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathDealer View Post
I hope to attend Chiller this year. Gonna be coming from Texas to travel to NYC and hopefully stop by at the convention on Saturday.

Thoughts on the convention? How are the vendors? Do they have some great stuff for sale (rare, imports)?
Chilller is an OK show, but kinda out of control. I have gone to the last 4, and am going to this one. I had a kind a lousy time at the last one...but can't resist that Italian horror reunion. The main problem is that they have no crowd control at all...and you tend to spend most of your time waiting in outrageous lines just to get into rooms. My biggest tip on getting into the main room (the "pit" in the lobby where most of the headlines will be...Do it on Friday...and get everyone in there who you plan to get then. Don't leave this area until you are sure you don't want to come in again. The line to get into this area on Saturday was a three hour wait last time during the peak times.
Also the prices some of the celebrities charge is downright criminal (I am talking $40-$50 to sign YOUR ITEM...plus $30 to get your picture taken). Not all are bad though, usually these prices are for the bigger names that are not even known for horror.
Dealer room is about the same as most other cons. Very bootleg heavy...but there are usually some import dealers as well as some decent poster vendors who don't charge an arm and a leg. Lots of cool t-shirts and stuff if you are interested in that...plus there are always dealers with "cheap" bins...DVDs for like $5 where you cam usually find a gem or two...the last few chillers I have been to, Shriek Show always has a table and are still trying to sell off all their code red product for $5 apiece.
Another plus is that the hotel actually has pretty ample parking.
eric_angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:05 PM   #38
SaviniFan
I Have A Fetish

I'll be at Cinema Wasteland all 3 days this coming weekend. If any of you recognize me from any of the photo threads here, feel free to stop me and say hi.

PS3 Gamer Tag: SaviniFan Steam Gamer Tag: ToastyBuffoon

My DVD Profiler
SaviniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:14 PM   #39
Ash28M
HackMaster

I have always thought It would be a good idea if whenever a convention came up we announced a meeting place so forum members who happen to attend could meet up.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:43 PM   #40
SaviniFan
I Have A Fetish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash28M View Post
I have always thought It would be a good idea if whenever a convention came up we announced a meeting place so forum members who happen to attend could meet up.
I think you'll find that Cinema Wasteland is one of the best run shows around. The admission ticket prices are more than fair and Ken is obviously a fan himself and not just some shmuck looking to rip off fans with a half-ass show. Cinema Wasteland always has a more personable feel to it to me. I've always enjoyed the celebrity question panels that Ken hosts and the Saturday night party madness is always great, especially with some drinking.

I'm looking forward to Friday night's karaoke (Scaryoke as they are calling it). Sitting down to a few 3 Stooges shorts is always cool as well. If anyone wants to meet up and say hi, expect me to be at these convention events. My wife and daughter will be with me as well. Here is another pic of me to make me easy to spot. I expect I'll be wearing a black Detroit Red Wings hat as well just so ya know.

Me with George "They're all messed up" Kosana
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 042.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	5197  

PS3 Gamer Tag: SaviniFan Steam Gamer Tag: ToastyBuffoon

My DVD Profiler
SaviniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:58 PM   #41
Mok
HackMaster

Ash, my gripes with the Rue Morgue festival are the same as yours. Too many fucking anime kids running around. I want to kick them all in the face Fuck I hate anime!
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:44 PM   #42
Cardiac Tom

I'll be at Wasteland...I think this will be the #10 or #11 Wasteland for me. I feel it is the best con out there...best prices, most fun, and cool celebs...Not to mention the partying just rules!!

I'll actually be getting there on Thursday afternoon if anyone wants to meet up early...

Here is what I look like if anyone wants to meet up...I'm not mean or anything (although I'll probably be buzzed) so feel free to come up to me if you recognize me...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	l_eecf389fd8892580954d78e375007d1c.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	5198  

Last edited by Cardiac Tom; 03-31-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:53 PM   #43
f.ramses
Maniac

I've been going to Chiller for the past 12 years and I always say that the show goes a little more downhill as time goes on (in a variety of ways) but I also have to admit that I think it's still the best of the handful of different shows I've had the chance to attend in the tri-state area! I've gotten some good autographs there, it's funny but most of the guests I really wanted to see (David F. Friedman, Joe D'Amato, Jörg Buttgereit, Tom Savini, etc...) were really cool and didn't charge much for autographs (Friedman was always free, D'Amato was selling color photo's for only $7, after you bought one he'd sign happily anything and, seemingly everything, you had for free, even bootlegs (not that I wanted to insult the guy but this was long before the movies I had got a legit release here...), etc...). The others are $20 and up but $20 is average, some will cut you a deal on multiple autographs. Beyond this it seems that the longer you've been out of work or the less related you are to the genre the more you charge.
The dealers room is a shadow of it's former awesome self (due to the fact that the room itself is way smaller and that there is only one of them at the current location for this show in Parsippany, NJ). There is still some decent stuff to be had but I've never found any memorabilia I was specifically looking for (No one seems to have a list or know what they have with them and when I ask for specific titles I get responses like "You really just have to look [through the huge selection of posters I have, most of which you're not interested in!]" or "Yeah, I definitely [have/can get/will soon have/etc...] that, email me!" only to email and never hear back from a single one of these people, ever.) and there are probably more people selling DVD-R's there than legit (and all of these tables have pretty much the same titles and prices...). I remember in the past walking past a bootleg copy of a movie only to find an original (often priced the same...) 2 tables down, now it seems more likely to only find the bootleg. They're obvious enough to spot and some people don't seem to mind them but I think they're so lame and always feel like a such a chump breaking down and buying one on the rare occasion I can't hold out for an original. I don't really remember seeing anyone with original imports at the last few I've been to but maybe I just didn't notice (this is something I almost specifically go there for though...). At Monster Mania Diabolik DVD was promoting the next Chiller so I expect they should at least be there. When I was younger I used to save for months for this thing so I had a lot of cash to drop there but nowadays I'd have to just be spending money for the sake of spending money to spend what I used to spend there.
Finally, the event itself is always packed. Maybe things will be better this time, I'm taking eric_angelus' advice and going Friday this time but if you go Saturday it usually sucks in that regard. The fact that they're not selling Saturday tickets at the door means we won't see the massive line we normally see full of people trying to cram themselves into an already packed convention so things could be better. I can only echo the advice already given, get into the main autograph area ASAP and don't leave it until you have everything you want! I once waited in line 3 or 4 hours for Elvira (I've met her there as both Elvira and as Cassandra Peterson, she's only friendly as Elvira! lol) on a Saturday!
f.ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:27 PM   #44
shockwave
Stalker

I'd love to hit up a convention sometime, sadly I live in the Midwest, and as far as I know, there are none in KS/MO/OK/AR or anywhere that wouldn't be a 10+ hour drive. Hopefully someday though.
shockwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:43 PM   #45
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviniFan View Post
I'll be at Cinema Wasteland all 3 days this coming weekend. If any of you recognize me from any of the photo threads here, feel free to stop me and say hi.
I'm tempted to go Friday this year, it's Christina Lindberg for fuck's sake, but either I pay too much to jump on a plane or it's an 8 hour train/road trip. Because I work Saturday, not sure it's worth it.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote