Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 08-28-2007, 01:22 AM   #16
Mortis
GARBAGE DAY!

I'm down for Zombiefest.

Here's a link for anyone who's interested.

http://www.theitsaliveshow.com/Zombiefest2007.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thJuggalo View Post
Same here. I heard that they're having it in the Spring though. They're having that Zombie Fest thing here in October as well.
You definitely don't have to spend money on autos and shit. There is plenty of other stuff to do at cons. At least Horrorfind is that way. There's a schedule of shit to do all day. Plus just hanging out, drinking and bullshitting with other horror fans is a lot of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingdead102 View Post
The idea seems cool, but I'm still not sold. Are these things worth going to if you're not planning on spending much money?
Old 08-29-2007, 12:10 AM   #17
zombi3
Pure Evil

I've been to almost every Chiller and Fango con in the NY/NJ area since January '96 (that was the one Fulci attended). Next one I plan to catch is Chiller this October.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:59 AM   #18
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

My experiences with autographs have been that people usually charge $20. This year however, they've been charging around $25 which is a scary trend.

For those of you have been to several different conventions, is $20 bucks the norm, or do people charge less at smaller conventions? For Monstermania I know that the prices a bit steep, but they also have tooonnsss of people attending too.
17thJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:12 AM   #19
eric_angelus
Testacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thJuggalo View Post
My experiences with autographs have been that people usually charge $20. This year however, they've been charging around $25 which is a scary trend.

For those of you have been to several different conventions, is $20 bucks the norm, or do people charge less at smaller conventions? For Monstermania I know that the prices a bit steep, but they also have tooonnsss of people attending too.
In my experience I would say about $20 is the norm, that's pretty much what it was for virtually everybody at monster mania...Chris Sarandon and Angus Schrimm were $25...a few like CJ Graham and Danielle Harris were $15 to sign something you brought. I know a few were charging $10...but no one who I got.
eric_angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:54 AM   #20
MorallySound
There is no magic.

I attended my first convention just this past weekend, Rue Morgue's Festival of Fear, and I had a blast!

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:10 AM   #21
Mark Relford
Chairman of the Bored

Savini had the best deal on autographs. Just buy one of his photos ($20) and he'll sign everything for that price. A photo taken with him is also included. The other celebs were charging $10 for additional autographs. John Landis will be at the next con. He'll be charging $5 for an autograph. It'll go to charity, which is pretty cool.

Last edited by Mark Relford; 08-29-2007 at 03:13 AM.
Mark Relford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:34 AM   #22
Mortis
GARBAGE DAY!

He must have just recently changed that because he used to sign things you brought for free. He was charging at Horrorfind, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Relford View Post
Savini had the best deal on autographs. Just buy one of his photos ($20) and he'll sign everything for that price. A photo taken with him is also included.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:45 PM   #23
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
He must have just recently changed that because he used to sign things you brought for free. He was charging at Horrorfind, too.
Yeah, I have a few things he signed for me, and he never charged!
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:29 PM   #24
White Worm
Screamy Bopper

Last horror convention I was at must have been 5 years ago (at least!) wow! I really need to get back up and seeing these new horror fans!
Old 10-08-2007, 02:04 AM   #25
eric_angelus
Testacular

I just got back from the Chiller Theater Con in NJ. This was my second one of these. I had a pretty good time, though I did see the two biggest outrages that I have ever seen as far as actors really gouging fans for $:

Three child actors from A Christmas Story were charging $40 apiece to sign items you brought in!

Gary Coleman charges you $60 to write the line "Watchutalkin 'bout...?" on anything.

I was not interested in meeting or getting signatures from any of these folks anyway...but even overhearing these charges kind of outraged me. Top guests like Val Kilmer and Elvira (both of whom I did meet) were charging less...and were being alot nicer to fans as well.

Some of the coolest moments/guests:
Martin Kove was great. I had him sign two posters (Last House on the Left and Blood Tide). He talked to me for awhile and even slipped me a free autographed Last House on the Left still.

Kevin Blair/Spiritas was a really nice guy. We talked to him early on in the weekend and I added his signature to my Friday the 13th Part 7 one sheet. Every time he saw me and my friends he took time to say hello and chat for a minute or two, and actually remembered all three of our names. I thought that was pretty cool...considering the amount of people these guys speak to at these things.

Paul Ehlers (Madman Marz) was cool as well. Very friendly and seemed to really enjoy talking about the movie...showing props that he had saved, etc.

Linda Blair had a long line but and was a bit rushed...but was also very friendly. While she was charging a bit more than some for autographs, all of the proceeds go to her animal rescue charity, which is a cause I really believe in as well. Also since I had met her a few years back at a work function were she signed an 8 by 10 for free...I did not feel so bad spending a bit of money to have her sign my Exorcist and Hell Night one sheets.
eric_angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:19 PM   #26
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_angelus View Post
Three child actors from A Christmas Story were charging $40 apiece to sign items you brought in!

Gary Coleman charges you $60 to write the line "Watchutalkin 'bout...?" on anything.
Fuck that.

Things like this make me think about not going to another convention.
17thJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:11 PM   #27
Devo1313
Stalker

Cinema Wasteland was one of the best times ever,as usual. Next April will be even above best ever. An Ilsa reunion with Dyanne Thorne and Don Edmonds plus Spider Baby reunion and ever great John Morghen. Even Austin Stoker from Twisted Barin,Abby and Assault on Precinct 13. Be prepared for one of the greatest shows ever.
Devo1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:32 PM   #28
Enutz666
Stalker

I love the Cinema Wasteland shows they always have a great bar scene & awesome after parties with movies playin all night. Great place to hang with genre fans.
Enutz666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:02 PM   #29
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_angelus View Post
I just got back from the Chiller Theater Con in NJ. This was my second one of these. I had a pretty good time, though I did see the two biggest outrages that I have ever seen as far as actors really gouging fans for $:

I was not interested in meeting or getting signatures from any of these folks anyway...but even overhearing these charges kind of outraged me. Top guests like Val Kilmer and Elvira (both of whom I did meet) were charging less...and were being alot nicer to fans as well.

Some of the coolest moments/guests:
Martin Kove was great. I had him sign two posters (Last House on the Left and Blood Tide). He talked to me for awhile and even slipped me a free autographed Last House on the Left still.

Kevin Blair/Spiritas was a really nice guy. We talked to him early on in the weekend and I added his signature to my Friday the 13th Part 7 one sheet. Every time he saw me and my friends he took time to say hello and chat for a minute or two, and actually remembered all three of our names. I thought that was pretty cool...considering the amount of people these guys speak to at these things.

Paul Ehlers (Madman Marz) was cool as well. Very friendly and seemed to really enjoy talking about the movie...showing props that he had saved, etc.

Linda Blair had a long line but and was a bit rushed...but was also very friendly. While she was charging a bit more than some for autographs, all of the proceeds go to her animal rescue charity, which is a cause I really believe in as well. Also since I had met her a few years back at a work function were she signed an 8 by 10 for free...I did not feel so bad spending a bit of money to have her sign my Exorcist and Hell Night one sheets.
I can also vouch for what a terrific guy Martin Kove is. My wife and I met him at Chiller a couple years ago. Her little niece came along and was talking to him about her kung fu classes, plus how much she loves The Karate Kid movies. Kove took his time talking to us and was extra sweet to her. He gave her a free Karate Kid photo and signed it with quotes from the movie.

Martin Kove is one of the friendliest persons I ever met at a horror convention. As far as his screen character is concerned, part of me is just glad he was never Sensei in my karate training.
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:26 AM   #30
ReelFear
Maniac

i was at the Chiller this weekend as well. they're always fun, ive been going to these things including Fangoria for 21 years now!

Madman paul ehlers was a top notch guy. very cool and many stories to tell.
i met Elvira and surprisingly she was very friendly and talkative to me!! no rush at all.
spoke with howard sherman who played BUB in DOTD - cool guy.
of course Frank stallone too.
overall though the guest list wasent spectacular.

except for very special guests, I REFUSE to pay that kind of money. exception are George Romero, or similar caliber directors. at this point i just wait to talk to the guests and see what kind of attitute they got.

i did not like the attitude of Linda Blair, Edie Mclurg, or lori petti.

the musical performance on Sat night was pretty damn good.
I prefered last Aprils show, but no matter what i will always go back to the Chiller.
ReelFear is offline   Reply With Quote