Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 04-18-2007, 05:33 PM   #16
Paff

This is one of those trade-offs of DVDs and home video in general. Back in the day, they would never show these movies on broadcast TV (too many cuts needed), and HBO and Showtime kinda steered clear of these films. OK, I do remember seeing Wolfen and The Howling several times on pay channels, but those were the exceptions. And thus, the only way to see movies like this was in these types of double-features and revivals.

As soon as home video hit, it all went the way of the dodo.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:34 PM   #17
maybrick
HackMaster

Those movies you're posting, wago, are waaaay cooler than what I've come across locally in my own research. We apparently got a lot of skin flicks, but not so much on the horror side.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:10 PM   #18
Wayne Manor
Maniac

That "Zombie" / "The Boogey Man" / "Blood Beach" hit Los Angeles grindhouses (RIP Optic Theatre) October 30, 1981. The "Torso" / "Autopsy" double was February 19, 1982. You should show ad for the October 17, 1980 triple-bill: "Last House on the Left" / "Don't Look in the Basement" / "The Amityville Horror". A couple weeks later the same folks put together a "Happy Hooker" triple-bill!
Wayne Manor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:11 PM   #19
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Hehehehe - distribution for those films must have been a miracle, but going to see them in crowded theaters is something you'll never forget. Although I saw Grim Reaper in a theater of about 5 people total.
Reno got its major share of skin flicks, too. I used to sneak a peak...or the whole film while in the back seat at the drive-in.
The cool horror stuff stopped coming by the time 1984 arrived. After that, it was studio stuff all the way but films like "Eaten Alive" (Hooper) and "Creature" were the few exceptions.
There will never be another era like 1980-81, however.
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:12 PM   #20
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Manor View Post
That "Zombie" / "The Boogey Man" / "Blood Beach" hit Los Angeles grindhouses (RIP Optic Theatre) October 30, 1981. The "Torso" / "Autopsy" double was February 19, 1982. You should show ad for the October 17, 1980 triple-bill: "Last House on the Left" / "Don't Look in the Basement" / "The Amityville Horror". A couple weeks later the same folks put together a "Happy Hooker" triple-bill!
I wish I had that!!!! I got lucky getting "Torso/Autopsy" that was the one copy of L.A. Times I was able to get (they sold it across town where our family rarely went). Searching the L.A. Times microfilms at the library...those wonderful ads are so much BIGGER than the ones from Reno! How I wish I had those...
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:27 PM   #21
Nightbreed
Stalker

awesome guys thanks for sharing
Old 04-18-2007, 09:05 PM   #22
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

Wow, these are awesome. Talk about being born too late!
17thJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:24 PM   #23
MrKateB
Asshole Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_angelus View Post
Those are great! I used to clip and save these when I was a kid...had them taped up all over my closet door as a kid...wish I had saved them!

I used to do this too, and I used to tape them to MY closet door as well!!!

I remember having the opening night ad for The Boogens, one for My Bloody Valentine, Grizzly, Hills Have Eyes, and Great White...Unfortunately, my closet door was a "pocket door" type, so everytime I'd fling it open or slam it closed (during one of my many childhood fits) the ads would get torn a little more...None of them made it.
MrKateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:29 PM   #24
indiephantom
Horny Spirit

I remember this stuff from childhood. I used to collect newspapers for the ads, but eventually they were chucked. What I really really wish I had now were the flyers for the multiple drive-ins where I used to spend the summer. All double-bills...usually horror or teen sex comedy. There was nothing like seeing Friday the 13th and Jaws 3-D at the drive-in IN 3-D! Nothing.

indiephantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:09 PM   #25
Peter Vincent

Man, I had a book full fo clippings myself when I was young...its lost somewhere in time (probably the NYC landfill).

Its cool that U kept yours and thanks for sharing, brought back lots of memories. Ya got me in the mood to pop one of these movies in my DVD player right now.

For the record, dear 'ol mom took me to see Blood Beach in theatres...I REALLY was DYING to see Creepshow, but she thought it'd be too much for my wee brain to handle (I was 8). Yet I had the comic book adaption (which I believe is more gruesome).

Thanks for the memories
Old 04-18-2007, 10:29 PM   #26
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Vincent View Post
Man, I had a book full fo clippings myself when I was young...its lost somewhere in time (probably the NYC landfill).

Its cool that U kept yours and thanks for sharing, brought back lots of memories. Ya got me in the mood to pop one of these movies in my DVD player right now.

For the record, dear 'ol mom took me to see Blood Beach in theatres...I REALLY was DYING to see Creepshow, but she thought it'd be too much for my wee brain to handle (I was 8). Yet I had the comic book adaption (which I believe is more gruesome).

Thanks for the memories
What a cool mom taking you to see Blood Beach at the age of 8! I was only a year older and all I got to see were the newspaper ads. Had to wait for the vhs release. Still waiting for the dvd but not holding my breath.
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:28 AM   #27
Wayne Manor
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wago70 View Post
I wish I had that!!!! I got lucky getting "Torso/Autopsy" that was the one copy of L.A. Times I was able to get (they sold it across town where our family rarely went). Searching the L.A. Times microfilms at the library...those wonderful ads are so much BIGGER than the ones from Reno! How I wish I had those...
Other immortally fun triples and doubles include the November 26, 1982 pairings of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and "Alone in the Dark" and the titanic bill of "The Affairs of Robin Hood" / "Erotic Adventures" of Pinocchio" / "Bill Osco's "Alice in Wonderland".

Hey now!
Wayne Manor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:46 AM   #28
Evil Dead Guy

These are incredible , you should start your own website wago70. You must have saved these clippings for many years, these are really interesting.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:00 AM   #29
ReelFear
Maniac

very very cool post. I remember when the ads came out i would clip them out of the paper and carry them in my pocket, occasionally taking them out to show fellow students in my class. I can remember very well bringing the ad for PROPHECY (1979) to school that year and showing the mutant bear ad around. I guess i was pretty sick even as a 9 year old! ;-)

keep the ads coming, they're great!
ReelFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:50 AM   #30
dwatts
HackMaster

--distribution for those films must have been a miracle--

Isn't it a relatively new phenomena that the vast majority of movie theaters are owned by large corporations? Back then I think there were more independents and smaller chains, so more opportunity to show something other than the usual mainstream crap. Now it's basically a cartel.
dwatts is offline   Reply With Quote