Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 11-14-2012, 12:20 AM   #46
Darga
Narcissistic Personality

Finally just checked out the trailer. I guess you guys got my expectations really low, because I didn't think it looked all that bad. I would obviously refrain from final judgement on the quality of the CGI until it actually gets released to theaters.

As far as the storyline not being from the novel, that was kinda what I was expecting anyways. It's been quite a while since I read the book, but I don't remember there being a main character with an arc to follow. I don't remember much of the details from the novel though- I thought it was a bit plodding.
Darga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:47 AM   #47
chancetx
Stalker

No current discussion of this? Am I the only one who saw it? I thought it was a lot of fun, though you can tell they made cuts to edit out most of the gore. And since it's Brad Pitt they try to go for a more "serious" tone, like "Contagion". I'm not a huge zombie genre fan so I'm sure others will have legitimate criticisms and the PG-13 complaints are warranted. It could be scarier and more intense. But the group I saw it with all enjoyed it and the packed audience applauded at the end. Definitely worth a look. Hopefully the Bluray will restore the gore.
chancetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:59 AM   #48
elDomenechHDG
Maniac

How bad was the shaky cam? Marc Foster apparently hasn't outgrown his ADD. The main reason I hated Quantum of Solace was the crazy fucking editing. Enough already.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:18 AM   #49
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

I LOVED IT!! It wasn't the book, which I loved too, but damn was it a cool film! You definitely had to suspend your disbelief a lot, but it's a summer film! Definitely Blu-Ray purchase!!
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:24 AM   #50
chancetx
Stalker

There are some shaky cam moments as zombies chase the living through tight corridors and up narrow staircases but it didn't bother me. It's mostly in the early scenes before the characters know what's going on to emphasize the chaos happening right around them. Truthfully, I was more conscious of all the "epic" widescreen shots of zombie masses and cities in ruin. You don't see that much in zombie stories, another clue they didn't want to sell this as just a horror movie. A huge chunk of budget was spent on aerial filming.

I slept through most of "Quantum of Solace" so I can't really compare, though.
chancetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:40 AM   #51
Jeremy
Closet SCREAM fan

Just got back from seeing this. A solid three stars out of five. They get kudos for bringing it in at just under two hours and resisting the summer blockbuster trend of stretching every movie out to two and a half hours or more, and for not letting that many plot holes get by with the rewritings and reshootings. Good in many parts, average in many others. My major complaint is the obsession with speed that is taken to its logical extreme by having the victims turn in fifteen seconds after being bitten. I'm not asking for them to copy the novel's approach, where someone could incubate the virus for weeks before dying, or even for a good old Romero three days. Just do what the DAWN OF THE DEAD remake did and give people four or five hours. I know that they imply the earlier forms of the virus took up to ten minutes to work, but even that is too fast. It actually makes a global pandemic less likely in some ways, because the faster the virus works the harder it is for someone to accidentally carry it with them on an airplane and the quicker it will be obvious to the authorities that something is wrong.

Anyways, I know somebody at Paramount, they didn't work on this film but they told me that the company water cooler gossip put the final price tag at $207 million and some change, but it was unclear if that included just the shooting, re-shooting and post-production or if they were including the promotional and distribution expenses as well. But a lot of money either way. With that unofficial figure in mind, I almost want to use the metaphor of buying a new car and paying full sticker price for it. Yeah it might be a good car, but you still got ripped off.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #52
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancetx View Post
I slept through most of "Quantum of Solace" so I can't really compare, though.
So glad I was not the only one.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #53
russweiss
Maniac

I enjoyed the film. It did slow down during a few scenes but overall well worth viewing.
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #54
baggio
HackMaster

I thought it was a decent film. I think I liked the last section of the movie better than the first.

From the
Spoiler:
plane escape scene to the end of the movie

The slower paced storytelling / zombie encounters in the last section was more of my liking. Anybody else agree? BTW I never read the book or any background prior to the movie.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #55
Dobby
HackMaster

So do you peeps think this will get a sequel?
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #56
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

Anyone here seen the movie AND read the book? I read the book, but haven't seen the movie and judging from the trailers I've seen, it looks NOTHING like the book.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #57
j tea
Stalker

The slower paced storytelling / zombie encounters in the last section was more of my liking. Anybody else agree? BTW I never read the book or any background prior to the movie.[/QUOTE]

I agree, but I felt like it could have used a bit more of a dramatic boost at the end with some action. It went to the 'this is what ended up happening' voice over too quickly.
j tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #58
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
So do you peeps think this will get a sequel?
Paramount has already green lighted a sequel.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #59
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by j tea View Post
I agree, but I felt like it could have used a bit more of a dramatic boost at the end with some action. It went to the 'this is what ended up happening' voice over too quickly.
Yes, that did get brushed over too quickly. I wish the whole movie setting was in the lab. Obviously then it wouldn't be called World War Z, but how they handled those scenes was more to my liking.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #60
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggio View Post
Paramount has already green lighted a sequel.
DTV? Why would they do that? No way this is going to make a profit. Maybe after a few years on video, but certainly not quick enough to justify a sequel.

I don't think I'll ever understand Hollywood.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote