Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 10-13-2005, 05:43 AM   #1
Big Bobby D

Jim Van Bebber

I like both of his feature films and the few shorts and videos I've seen I thought were pretty cool, but I've heard that he is an asshole. After seeing some interviews with him, he seems cool, but like I said I've read that he is a dick. Does anybody know for sure how this dude is for real? I also heard something about him cussing out Don May or whatever his name is over at Synapse about his Deadbeat At Dawn dvd, what's that all about?
Old 10-13-2005, 07:45 AM   #2
Katatonia
Master of Doom

No clue how he really is. I do remember something about him causing a fuss over the Deadbeat at Dawn DVD for some reason. I can't remember the specifics of it though.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:31 AM   #3
bwana the clown
Supreme Ruler Of Sados

Yeah, the Synapse site had a whole bunch of abusive answering machine messages that Van Bebber left. Can't remember a thing he said, but he did come off as a real dick.

Visit us on Facebook
bwana the clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 10:25 AM   #4
Devo1313
Stalker

I've met Jim before here in Ohio and still have his phone number and email. Haven't spoke to him in awhile. He's just hot and cold depending on how you catch him. If you've seen him on that doc,TCM:The Shocking Truth that's pretty much how he really is. Just a big horror fan who might like to drink a little too much sometimes.
Overall he's a pretty good guy but he does have a temper.
Devo1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 05:13 AM   #5
Big Bobby D

That's how I tend to think of him after seeing some interviews. He seems cool but when he drinks he gets pissy.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
rhett

Finally got to hear those voice mails from Van Bebber to Don May. Pretty amazing .

Here they are for those who haven't listened:

http://dark7.org/a/jimvanbebber/

And here's an old post on an interview with JVB a bit after(?) this whole incident:

http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/s...ad.php?t=10901

Anyone know what happened in all this? JVB threatens legal action later on in the calls, and it seems he was in discussions with a lawyer, but in the later ones he is apologizing and mentioning a signed agreement he needed to comply with, so it sounds like Don had the one up, but there's nothing definitive in there and I can't seem to find any closure searching through Google...
Old 03-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #7
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I don't think anything ever came of it. Just another one of JVB's drunken tirades. He probably felt better after Dark Sky released the JVB boxset. I bet Don May had to buy a few new pairs of pants though...probably pissed himself like a little bitch.

JVB is legend.
Chomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #8
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Here's an interview with Van Bebber that just went up yesterday over at Badass Digest. And it's just as coherent as the voice mails.

http://badassdigest.com/2013/03/22/b...-manson-family

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:13 PM   #9
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

BHHAHAHAAHAHAhhaha...JVB trying to pick a fight in the middle of phone interview.

I wonder how much of that can be attributed to alcohol and how much of it is an act...seems like sometimes he acts that way just for the sake of seeming eccentric.

Either way...Deabeat at Dawn is one of the greatest films ever made. Also thanks for the news that The Manson Family is due out on BD. I did not know that.
Chomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:18 PM   #10
BloodMan
Kill Time B4 It Kills You

amazing

If I Don't Have The Right To Torture You, Why Then Do You Have The Right To Torture Me By Taking Away The Pleasure That I Could Get From Torturing You?

Remember, one cannot make footprints in the sands of time by sitting on their butt, and who wants to leave butt prints in the sands of time?
BloodMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:10 AM   #11
Paff

I met Jim Van Bebber ten years or so ago at the Fangoria convention in LA. He was a great guy, super friendly. Bought a copy of The Manson Family from him (hadn't seen it before), which he cheerfully signed.

After buying it, I was at another vendor just a few tables away, and there digging through the DVDs was Don May. I wonder if the two of them were aware of each others' presence...

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:31 AM   #12
Anaestheus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorallySound View Post
Here's an interview with Van Bebber that just went up yesterday over at Badass Digest. And it's just as coherent as the voice mails.

http://badassdigest.com/2013/03/22/b...-manson-family
Someone down in the comments for this link pointed to a video of Oliver Reed in a drunken interview. It looks like Van Bebber may be pulling a stunt with this interview. Or else, a drunken Van Bebber was at least coherent enough to reference this interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fEqw...ature=youtu.be
Anaestheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #13
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Preorders are up for the Severin reissue of Van Bebber's THE MANSON FAMILY. The release also includes his new short, GATOR GREEN:

Blu: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ag=cinema09-20
DVD / Blu Combo: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ag=cinema09-20

Bonus Features:
* Audio Commentary with Director Jim VanBebber
* Gator Green - Exclusive First Release of VanBebber's latest short
* Exclusive New Interview With Phil Anselmo
* The VanBebber Family - Uncut Version of 'Making Of' Documentary Featuring Interviews with Cast and Crew
* In The Belly of The Beast - Documentary On the 1997 Fantasia Film Festival
* Interview With Charles Manson
* Deleted Scenes
* Theatrical Trailers
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #14
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I bought the Visions Of Hell Boxset way back when, but I've still never opened it. I've been meaning to watch The Manson Family for years, but haven't quite worked up the nerve yet. I like horror films, but I don't really like gore films, so I imagine it would just gross me out.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #15
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
I bought the Visions Of Hell Boxset way back when, but I've still never opened it. I've been meaning to watch The Manson Family for years, but haven't quite worked up the nerve yet. I like horror films, but I don't really like gore films, so I imagine it would just gross me out.
I wouldn't consider The Manson Family a gore film at all. It's more-so arthouse horror, but the violence is brutal and unflinching seeing as it's based on horrible reality. It definitely gets under your skin, but the film is a masterpiece.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote