Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 11-17-2005, 05:46 AM   #46
horror addict
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskull
To be fair, JOA was given a good chance. The first season was excellent, in spite of Mary Steenburgen (sp?), but the second really lost momentum for me. That whole trial thing bored me, and more emphasis on the mom and her quest for religion bogged the whole thing down. Heck the bigger emphasis on Mary Steenburgen itself was bad. Plus they had a cool character (Joan's friend from the Asylum or whatever) that they introduced, and wasted a couple of eps later. I had been looking forward to the second season, but half way through I stopped watching.
I completely agree that the 2nd season wasn't near the first in quality, but I liked the first season so much, that by season 2 I was really attached to the characters. While Mary Steenburgen can get annoying, the greatness of Joe "Fat Tony" Mantegna cancels her out for me. Also I thought that Grace and Luke were a hilarious couple. I really didn't like Adam's character transformation though, I don't know if you stopped watching before it, but the episode where Adam, who seemed to always be a nice guy, started fucking around on Joan with some art class slut, really pissed me off. It seemed incredibly out of character. I think why I'm most upset though, is because I hate when I like a show and care about it's characters, and then the network just cancels it out of the blue with absolutely no plot resolution.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:40 PM   #47
maskull
No Avatar! Boo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by horror addict
I think why I'm most upset though, is because I hate when I like a show and care about it's characters, and then the network just cancels it out of the blue with absolutely no plot resolution.
Oh yeah I can understand that. My DVD library is full of shows that don't have a proper ending to them.

So Adam started to cheat on Joan? I'm glad I didn't watch that part then. Sounds like the show was heading into Soap Opera territory and I agree that seems very out of character for him. Hate when that happens. I really did enjoy Grace and Luke as a couple though. It was enjoyable every time they were on the screen together. That's the one thing I missed about the show when I stopped watching it. In fact, maybe I'll rent season 2 when it comes out.

Supernatural this week was so much better. Got some plot advancement, some very creepy scenes (damn things in the closet always work for me), and I found myself actually rooting for the family they were helping. Plus, that fridge scene and the opening scene with the closet were quite well done. I was yelling at the TV at a couple of points so I guess that means I was really into the show. Nice to see they recovered after last week's really horrible episode (well the ending anyway).
Old 11-17-2005, 02:45 PM   #48
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Quote:
Supernatural this week was so much better. Got some plot advancement, some very creepy scenes (damn things in the closet always work for me), and I found myself actually rooting for the family they were helping. Plus, that fridge scene and the opening scene with the closet were quite well done. I was yelling at the TV at a couple of points so I guess that means I was really into the show. Nice to see they recovered after last week's really horrible episode (well the ending anyway).
DEFINTELY!! Next week's looks good too!
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 12:14 AM   #49
evildeadfan123
Sam & Dean Winchester

NBC is know for cancelling shows to quick, too. When the Dark Shadows revival was on in 1991, NBC gave it a Pilot episode and 11 other episodes, and cancelled the series, even though NBC got over 50,000 signatures to keep it on the air, and people were also picketting NBC before it was cancelled. I watched the Dark Shadows revival when it was on NBC, and I was not very happy when they cancelled. Also, when ABC cancelled Battlestar Galactica, even though it was still in the Top 20 in the ratings, so what did ABC do, they treated us to Galactica 1980, and the best episode out of Galactica 1980, was The Return of Starbuck episode, which was also the final episode of Galactica 1980.

I know a good hangover remedy, a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray.

RIP: John Winchester, all us Supernatural fans will miss you.

http://www.myspace.com/jaredjensenfan

I love Jared's flaring nostrils
evildeadfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 12:15 AM   #50
evildeadfan123
Sam & Dean Winchester

I thought that Last weeks episode of Supernatural was pretty good, but this week's episode was much better.

I know a good hangover remedy, a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray.

RIP: John Winchester, all us Supernatural fans will miss you.

http://www.myspace.com/jaredjensenfan

I love Jared's flaring nostrils
evildeadfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 12:16 AM   #51
horror addict
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannafey
DEFINTELY!! Next week's looks good too!
Yes it does, mental hospitals or asylums always equal creepy. With Sam being possessed and his voice changing it sorta seemed Session 9-ish. Also Maskull, I agree the bug episode's story, especially it's ending wasn't really up to the other episodes quality, but I think the worst so far was either the demon on a plane one, or the bloody mary one. I still enjoyed both episodes alot, and they had great premises but the endings were pretty abrupt and dumb. Geez, is that becoming a pattern or something? I mean a half assed exorcism, and total and complete ripoff of Samara from the Ring, come on the writers can do better than that. The ending of last night's great ep proves they can.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:00 AM   #52
maskull
No Avatar! Boo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by horror addict
Also Maskull, I agree the bug episode's story, especially it's ending wasn't really up to the other episodes quality, but I think the worst so far was either the demon on a plane one, or the bloody mary one. I still enjoyed both episodes alot, and they had great premises but the endings were pretty abrupt and dumb. Geez, is that becoming a pattern or something? I mean a half assed exorcism, and total and complete ripoff of Samara from the Ring, come on the writers can do better than that. The ending of last night's great ep proves they can.
I actually liked those two eps. Especially the Bloody Mary one. Sure it was a Samara rip-off but it was still pretty well done and creepy. I wouldn't have minded the bug ending at all (at least as much) if the night hadn't gone by so quickly.
Spoiler:
Bugs show up, few minutes later, it's morning. Huh?
Seems like they couldn't think of anything better and were on a short timetable.

But yeah, next week's looks pretty damn cool. It does seem sometimes like the writers are just watching recent movies for their ideas, but they have enough of a twist to them to keep them interesting. Plus the main plot has a lot of potential to it.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:05 PM   #53
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Another really good episode last night!! It was funny how they took a bit of a jab at the competition, when he asks, "Who's the hottest psychic, me Patricia Arquette or Jennifer Love Hewitt?". One of my favorites so far!
Old 11-23-2005, 04:16 PM   #54
Ash28M
HackMaster

It's hard for me to get into this show after watching Masters of Horror. it just seems so watered down.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 04:46 PM   #55
Peter Vincent

last nights episode was defintely one of the better ones! the images in the Asylum were definitely creepy. especially...

Spoiler:
When the dude thinks he's making out with his girl & then hears her voice in the distance...the look on his face & the image afterward were priceless

Though i wasn't too crazy about the way the episode ended...

Spoiler:
the Dr's body was stuffed in a cabinet??? I mean, c'mon, U'd think the powers that be looked a little harder for his body before shutting down the Asylum...I can suspend disbelief, but that one was just a little TOO unbelievable to me.

I also noticed there's no new episode next week. WB is showing some "felicity" special or something.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:31 PM   #56
maskull
No Avatar! Boo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash28M
It's hard for me to get into this show after watching Masters of Horror. it just seems so watered down.
Yeah but you have to remember that Supernatural is a network program whereas MOH isn't and therefore can get away with a lot more stuff. I think Supernatural does pretty well considering the limitations that are put on it.

Besides I can't watch MOH right now anyway.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:48 PM   #57
Ash28M
HackMaster

Quote:
Yeah but you have to remember that Supernatural is a network program whereas MOH isn't and therefore can get away with a lot more stuff. I think Supernatural does pretty well considering the limitations that are put on it.

Besides I can't watch MOH right now anyway.
You need to get some Scream tv!
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 06:08 PM   #58
maskull
No Avatar! Boo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash28M
You need to get some Scream tv!
I know I do! I'm probably going to dump TMN and just sign up for Scream and Drive-In. They seem to play better movies on those channels anyway.

I did just find a newsgroup that has a couple of the eps available for download. So maybe I'll check out a couple of them until I either get Scream or they release em on DVD.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:44 PM   #59
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Fortunately I found out my little sis has Showtime, so she's Tivoing every episode of MOH and dumping them to tape for me when they are finished. Supernatural is a great show for network TV. It is flawed, and you have to suspend your disbelief a little too much, but the show really does it for me. I am sticking with it.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:06 AM   #60
Damed

So I just caught up with the last 3 episodes of this...

and WOW. Episodes 9 and 10 are REALLY well done (the one where they go home, and the asylum one). I'm really liking this show more and more.

and Peter Vincent:

Spoiler:

That whole room where the body was stuffed in a cabinet was a "secret" room where the Dr was performing experiments. I suppose it was too well hidden to be found during the initial police search.