Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 02-06-2008, 06:17 PM   #31
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
There's a finite amount of stuff you can have for this movie. Documentaries? What documentaries? They barely had the money to make the movie, let alone a making-of.

I thought the Millenium Edition was pretty comprehensive, with only the exception of the still photos that were on the Elite laserdisc.

You did listen to both audio commentaries, right?
No I didn't listen to them yet. Are they any good?

And yeah by documentary I meant just getting everyone to talk about filming it and to tell their stories, use stills, how it became in public domain, the influence it has had on horror and zombie movies since, have Stephen King, John Carpenter and other horror directors talk how it influenced their careers. But I never thought of the fact that most of them have passed away. That is said news, and I guess it would make it harder for the documentary to work. I don't know, compared to his other Dead films though (Dawn and Day), it just seemed like the Millennium edition was lackluster to me, when it was the film that really started his career.
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:14 PM   #32
JW77
Support Halliburton

I think I'd be more interested in seeing people like John Carpenter and Stephen King discussing the film than I would hearing anecdotes from the cast and crew.

NOTLD pretty much changed the horror genre forever -- you can trace so many things back to it: the 1980s Splatterpunk literary movement, Italian gut munchers, TCM, 80s slashers.
"There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and any others." -- Harry J. Anslinger, first commissioner of the United States Bureau of Narcotics
JW77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:20 AM   #33
lanemyer774
Victim

I own the 25th Anniversary 2 VHS set. I bought it sometime in the mid 90's, when laser discs were all the rave (their prices were just too high for me to buy any of them). Anyways, the first tape is the movie, the second tape is a "sit in" conversation if you will, with George Romero, John Russo, Russel Streiner, Karl Hardman, Marilyn Eastman & others. I haven't seen it in years so I can't give you any details on it in those regards. But if anyone is interested, it can be had for fairly cheap on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Night-Living-D...353448&sr=1-25
lanemyer774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:33 PM   #34
shockwave
Stalker

Thought I'd dust this one off here. One of the questions I have is is the millenium edition no longer being produced? I've just been able to find it on amazon, or are there any versions having been released in the last few years that are slightly better?
shockwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #35
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Here are the best DVD releases of NOTLD to buy:

-Elite Millenium Edition
-Legend Films release (with B/W and Colorized Versions)\
-Dimension 40th AE

And if you're a purist or for whatever reason mind you, then also get the 30th AE.
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:53 PM   #36
fceurich39
HackMaster

criterion should release this on blu-ray!!!!
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:28 PM   #37
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fceurich39 View Post
criterion should release this on blu-ray!!!!
They or Anchor Bay are the perfect candidates!
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:41 PM   #38
X-human
I ate my keys

Synapse Films would be at the top of my list.

I'd just about prefer a Basket Case-esque transfer though. If people don't like it they can crank the DNR and EE settings on their TV up to 11 and leave real film for the rest of us.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:43 AM   #39
othervoice1
HackMaster

So just wondered if any changes of opinion on this - I know a few blu-rays exist now - but Ive heard mixed things on each of them - I actually currently do not have NOTLD and was wanting to pick up the best edition out there (I know dont beat me up - dont know why I dont own one yet) - I was looking to pick the Millenium edition dvd by Elite for like 5.00 on Amazon - is that still the best release out there even with the blu rays?

Or is this one the best dvd now?

http://www.amazon.com/Night-Living-D...he+living+dead

Last edited by othervoice1; 10-06-2012 at 12:51 AM.
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:57 AM   #40
Demoni
HackMaster

Im delighted with my French edition...

http://www.amazon.fr/La-nuit-morts-v...5&sr=1-1-spell
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:17 AM   #41
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoni View Post
Im delighted with my French edition...

http://www.amazon.fr/La-nuit-morts-v...5&sr=1-1-spell
I don't have that one. Are there any extras? I own six versions of NOTLD on blu with the Australian and German versions en route. So far, I would recommend the Japanese Happinet version. It is cheap, has the "One For The Fire" doc in hd, it's region-free and it has a cool black case.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:29 AM   #42
othervoice1
HackMaster

Id just like to get whatever version is uncut and has the best video quality of the bunch - whether that is a dvd or blu-ray - since its public domain there are a lot of versions out there and hard to tell which is the best in video quality to pick up right now - region free would be nice but not mandatory
Old 10-06-2012, 03:07 AM   #43
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
I don't have that one. Are there any extras? I own six versions of NOTLD on blu with the Australian and German versions en route. So far, I would recommend the Japanese Happinet version. It is cheap, has the "One For The Fire" doc in hd, it's region-free and it has a cool black case.
+1 for the Happinet, though it's the only Blu-Ray edition I have. It's not quite as cheap as it was though (¥ 3,800 (~$48.00) at cdjapan, ¥ 1,814 (~$23.00) at Amazon, not including shipping). Amazon's shipping rates to the US will probably cost as much as or more than the disc itself, if I remember correctly, while cdjapan has much more reasonable shipping rates.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:19 AM   #44
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Quote:
Originally Posted by othervoice1 View Post
Id just like to get whatever version is uncut and has the best video quality of the bunch - whether that is a dvd or blu-ray - since its public domain there are a lot of versions out there and hard to tell which is the best in video quality to pick up right now - region free would be nice but not mandatory
The Happinet is Region A, appears to be sourced from the HD master for the 40th anniversary edition that Dimension released to DVD in 2008, and has a very high bitrate.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:48 AM   #45
othervoice1
HackMaster

The Happinet one sounds pretty good - but I dont really want to pay 40 + for it - ill keep my eyes open though to see if a better price springs up on ebay or anywhere