Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 08-12-2008, 02:12 PM   #16
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
I'm with Maybrick...it was disappointing at first but upon repeat viewings, it's actually not that bad...sure beats the Hell out of IT LIVES AGAIN...and THE STUFF wasn't exactly a shot of adrenaline either...
I agree with you that It Lives Again was disappointing. But The Stuff is actually a much more exciting and frenetic movie than Cohen usually even makes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
I was disappointed when it first came out on video that it had nothing to do with King's story, but overtime I've come to enjoy it and feel it's one of his most entertaining movies. Much better than "Island of the Alive", which was made around the same time period. So I guess I completely disagree, especially when you say it isn't an original story. It is. It's the title that's misleading.
Haven't seen Return yet - but I thought Island of the Alive was great. Yeah a little Michael Moriar(i)ty goes a long way and he was better in The Stuff and Q the Winged Serpent, but Island of the Alive was pretty stylish, made good use of the jungle setting, and unlike It Lives Again, actually did something radically different from the first movie. I've come to like the movie better than The Stuff. Karen Black was also wonderful in that movie. I thought she was really touching and gave a tremendous performance, for the movie being a fairly low budget-ish monster movie. Plus that scene with Moriarty and Lorene Landon was amazing. I think it had more power in it than any single horror film I've seen that people have claimed has an AIDS metaphor message in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egg_Shen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gargo View Post
I liked it. Then again, I've yet to see a Cohen movie that I didn't like.
Have you seen Full Moon High?
Exactly! I feel the same way. I don't think there's any way A Return to Salem's Lot could possibly be worse than that film. My jaw hit the floor when I saw that movie about 4 months ago. There is no doubt in my mind that Wicked Stepmother, which I can't find any other fans of, is a better film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chaostar View Post
"Wicked Stepmother" is Cohen's worst by far - that movie is unwatchable!
That's exactly how I felt about Full Moon High! I almost shut the movie off the first time I saw it.

Unfortunately, I saw Wicked Stepmother as a kid and I think that makes me more tolerant of it than other people. Colleen Camp does give a performance worse than any in Full Moon High, but Wicked Stepmother looks and sounds a lot better. I thought it had an excellent music score, good production values, a better pace than FMH, and Barbara Carrera was hilarious in the movie ("FIIIXED!?!?!"). Not to mention Richard Moll is great in everything he does and he's very funny as the private-I. Oh, and Lorene Landon again. I hate Vanna White and people's obsession with her was borderline disturbing. I love what they did with the character, Vanilla, by making her so materialistic and disgusted by what she heard the game show host talking about, I'm cracking up just thinking about it. Full Moon High is so awful, it's downright schizophrenic! It's so bad, Student Bodies was a better spoof. I can't even imagine what level anyone could enjoy that film on.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:21 PM   #17
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
Haven't seen Return yet - but I thought Island of the Alive was great. Yeah a little Michael Moriar(i)ty goes a long way
Moriarty has nothing to do with my opinion of ISLAND seeing as he's the star of RETURN TO SALEM'S LOT and I really like that movie.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:03 PM   #18
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Cool. But I wasn't talking about your opinion. I don't know your opinion, all you said was Return was better. I'm just saying the only truly not-great thing from my view about the movie was Moriarty going a bit over the top. Oh, and the woman on the expedition. Talk about one-dimensional!

That's all.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:54 PM   #19
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
Cool. But I wasn't talking about your opinion. I don't know your opinion, all you said was Return was better.
Well, you're the one that quoted me. Why quote me if you weren't referring to my opinion? That's was my opinion btw: RETURN is a lot better than ISLAND.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:30 PM   #20
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

You said Return was a much better than Island, I assume that meant you thought it was a bad movie. I disagreed.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:35 PM   #21
maybrick
HackMaster

Well, if you thought ISLAND was a great movie, then you'll love RETURN. Maybe.

Btw, I don't know if any of you have noticed but this thread is almost 4 years old. I only resurrected it to ask... "Where the hell is this movie on DVD?"
Old 08-12-2008, 06:25 PM   #22
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

I concur.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:25 PM   #23
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

Quote:
"Where the hell is this movie on DVD?"
No shit. I want to see it, no matter how much people trash it--maybe even more so now.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:51 AM   #24
Egg_Shen
broomhead

Quote:
Well, if you thought ISLAND was a great movie, then you'll love RETURN. Maybe.

Btw, I don't know if any of you have noticed but this thread is almost 4 years old. I only resurrected it to ask... "Where the hell is this movie on DVD?"

Yeah, I was going through it and thinking, "this seems familiar". Anyway, I haven't watched Full Moon High in a very long time now. I should watch it again. I watched Return to Salem's Lot very recently and it still delivers. Weird to see a young Tara Reid as a vampire. Sam Fuller steals it all with his performance though. "I'm not a Nazi hunter, I'm a Nazi killer!"
Egg_Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:43 AM   #25
Erick H.
HackMaster

From memory ( a long ago rental) I found RETURN to be kind of fun and Sam Fuller was a stitch.
My opinion of ISLAND OF THE ALIVE improved considerably when I saw it again in widescreen on DVD.The compositions are much better.I guess my least favorite of Cohen's films is WICKED STEPMOTHER (which turned into a mess after Bette Davis quit shortly after shooting began).I did enjoy Laureen Landon though.I've chatted with her,she was very nice.
Still haven't seen FULL MOON HIGH.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:25 PM   #26
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick H. View Post
My opinion of ISLAND OF THE ALIVE improved considerably when I saw it again in widescreen on DVD.
That's EXACTLY the phenomenon I found with RETURN! If you have a widescreen tv, even if they never release it on DVD, you should track the movie down on VHS and watch it matted to 16:9. It's an AMAZING improvement!
Old 08-13-2008, 08:06 PM   #27
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick H. View Post
I did enjoy Laureen Landon though.
She is great in that movie, isn't she? Another reason I don't hold it in such contempt is - it's a supernatural horror-comedy. Those movies are almost always bad. But I had fun with Wicked Stepmother. I cringe at some moments, but mostly I like it.

I blind-bought It Lives Again and Island of the Alive on DVD. Since they were together and I much enjoyed Island, I wasn't disappointed with doing so. I will pick up Return on a moment's notice, if Warner ever freaking releases it!!
Old 08-13-2008, 08:10 PM   #28
Rockmjd

Wicked Stepmother is his worst, by far.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:13 PM   #29
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

By far?
Old 09-04-2008, 01:19 AM   #30
Mark Relford
Chairman of the Bored

I would love to get this fun "sequel" on DVD! Big fan of Cohen's quirky writing and Michael Moriarty. They were a good team in the 80's. Kinda cool that it was taken in a different direction even though a sequel based on King's "One For the Road" would've been interesting to see. Some of the vamp effects were awful. (The creature attacking the punks in the woods. Ugh!) Fingers are crossed for a Halloween release!