Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 08-11-2005, 01:28 AM   #46
tobaccoman
White, Proud, and Stupid

Old 08-11-2005, 01:37 AM   #47
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeister
What I thought I was getting myself into was a "worthy addition to any gorehound's DVD shelf" (from Rue Morgue) or a "no-holds-barred, laugh-a-minute gorefest" (from Dark Star) or even a "rambunctious, inventive chunkblower" (from Deep Red).
Perhaps you should have checked here: http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/dnd/
for your review

While I was mostly positive about it, you will notice I occcasionally used phrases like "amateurish production" and "sub-par acting and dialogue"

I liked it for what it was, a feature film done with home movie equipment, but that's about it.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 01:46 AM   #48
dmeister
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff
I liked it for what it was, a feature film done with home movie equipment, but that's about it.
I like low-budget zombie movies as much as the next guy. I picked up Hide and Creep, Shallow Ground (not strictly a zombie flick), and Dead Meat when I bought The Dead Next Door, and all three were vastly superior.

dmeister
dmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 07:08 AM   #49
Big Bobby D

I picked it up @ Best Buy for $12.00 today. It wasn't what I was expecting and overall I wasn't very happy with it. But I gotta watch it again while listening to the audio commentary, so, maybe I'll like it better watching it a second time (that's what happened to me with The Deadly Spawn.) But, for a $12.00 dvd it's well worth it espicially if you're a fan of the movie.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:50 PM   #50
Crystal Plumage
Dig me..but don't bury me

Anyone visited http://www.deadnextdoor.com/ ?
Old 08-11-2005, 03:20 PM   #51
bwana the clown
Supreme Ruler Of Sados

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeister
What I actually got into was the long-lost US remake of Bruno Mattei's 1981 crapfest, Hell of the Living Dead
Oh man! I really gotta get this now!

Visit us on Facebook
bwana the clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 07:11 PM   #52
KillerCannabis
Slow, Deep & Hard

I'm kinda on the fence with this one. Are we talking low budget like Deadbeat at Dawn low or even lower? I am quite the undead fan though, so for only $12 I might have to add this one to my collection purely out of love for that sub-genre. Sounds like AB did a good job on the disc itself too.
KillerCannabis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 07:18 PM   #53
dmeister
Maniac

I'm not sure what they spent on The Dead Next Door, but I can tell you that the budget was apparently 99% = Special Makeup Effects and 1% = Everything Else (including incidentals like actors, cameras, props, and so on). But, like I said, I would pick up a flick like Hide and Creep first; at least it was funny. The Dead Next Door does have some impressive gore though, for a movie of its low caliber, which may be a consideration for many.

dmeister
Old 08-11-2005, 07:19 PM   #54
betterdan

I really liked Deadbeat at Dawn and I like a lot of shitty and weird flicks but this movie was just down right annoyingly bad. Yea the effects were surprisingly decent but then again so were Hellspawn's and at least I got some enjoyment out of that Polonia creation.

Last edited by betterdan; 08-11-2005 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:21 PM   #55
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

So far it looks like this movie has gotten some raving reviews on here...and this thing has been called a 'cult movie' huh? I can't wait for the DVD to get here in the mail to check out how bad it is!

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 11:34 PM   #56
Grim
HackMaster

Is the DVD cut? Because I see a lot of places listing the runtime as 82 or 84 minutes, but the DVD is 78.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:37 PM   #57
BloodMan
Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Maybe they sped up the closing credits... I do recall that closing credits sequence was the slowest thing in movie history. I had read about it b4 I got the vhs some years ago, and they mentioned the slowest credits crawl ever and ya, it was slow. (They thank everyone... goddamn) But I dunno.

If I Don't Have The Right To Torture You, Why Then Do You Have The Right To Torture Me By Taking Away The Pleasure That I Could Get From Torturing You?

Remember, one cannot make footprints in the sands of time by sitting on their butt, and who wants to leave butt prints in the sands of time?
BloodMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 07:11 AM   #58
Big Bobby D

It's possible the runtime has been shortened because the opening and closing credits have been completely redone, just like every other Bookwalter movie on dvd unfortunatly. I really don't like that, but, you can get a glimpse of the original title credits during the music video, and from what I can tell they looked like the ones from Return Of The Living Dead, so, maybe that's why the titles have been changed, but I doubt they were changed for possible legal reasons. Another thing I cannot understand is why on the dvd no one is supposed to say that Sam Raimi gave J.R. Bookwalter some money to get this movie made, and what ever happened to Bookwalter and Jon Killough's relationship. Everone says Bookwalter is a great guy but Killough makes him out as some type of asshole. I figure they got in some type of dissagreement during the making of '89's Skinned Alive. I'm hoping that these questions will be explained in the audio commentary included on the disc.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:51 PM   #59
Silent Noize
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bobby D
Another thing I cannot understand is why on the dvd no one is supposed to say that Sam Raimi gave J.R. Bookwalter some money to get this movie made
I was asking that to myself also. Maybe Raimi is so embarrassed by this film that he dosent want his name on it?

Anyway, I've been spending alittle more time with this flick and it's starting to grow on me more. I initiall gave it a 2 1/2 out of a 5 after first viewing. Now I think I will change that to a 3 1/2 out of 5. There is just something awesomly entertaining to this cheeseball of a movie. And I think that it should be viewed at least once by all hardcore zombie fans.
Silent Noize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:54 PM   #60
dmeister
Maniac

Quote:
There is just something awesomly entertaining to this cheeseball of a movie.
Well, when you figure out what it is, let me know.

dmeister