Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 07-31-2004, 06:30 AM   #1
Big Bobby D

Question The Dead Next Door-Any Good?

There are a few posts on this movie, but, none of them really go into the plot and what it's about. And nobody really says why they like it or not. I saw the trailer and the "15 Years In 15 Minutes" featurette about the movie. It looks really cool and gory. And it looks very ambitious to be a project that a 19 year old kid directed. And yes, I know all about Sam Raimi financing the movie and he and some of the Evil Dead crew have cameos in it.
Old 07-31-2004, 07:43 AM   #2
Mortis
GARBAGE DAY!

I thought it was an okay flick, but nothing great. The voice dubbing for one of the main characters with Bruce Campbell's voice made it weird.
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 09:08 AM   #3
BloodMan
Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Yeah, its nothing great. that director.. Jr Bookwalter or whatever has made a couple other films since then and all are blehh. Dead Next Door has SOME fun moments and a few lil injokey things. But nothing great. I guess get it if you are only like a dead hardcore zombie film lover.
BloodMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 01:17 PM   #4
zombi3
Pure Evil

I thought it was pretty good, but the dvd from Splatter Rampage looks like crap. I'd wait for the Anchor Bay version if you plan on buying it.
Old 07-31-2004, 03:36 PM   #5
evildeadfan123
Sam & Dean Winchester

Wait for the Anchor Bay version, which comes out Early 2005. It will have some extras on it. The Splatter Rampage DVD was okay, it was a little better than the VHS copy that I had, but when I found out that AB was coming out with Dead Next Door, I quickly sold that DVD. I thought the movie was pretty good, and I remember before the movie came out there was an article in Fangoria about the movie. It was filmed very low budget, and Bruce Campbell did the voiceover of the lead guy, I don't remember the characters name, but he was tall and had black hair. Even Scott Spiegel, who directed Intruder, AKA Night Crew, was in it, and he was bitten by a Zombie. Highly recommended it you love Zombie movies.
evildeadfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 03:37 PM   #6
RyanPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildeadfan123
Wait for the Anchor Bay version, which comes out Early 2005. It will have some extras on it. The Splatter Rampage DVD was okay, it was a little better than the VHS copy that I had, but when I found out that AB was coming out with Dead Next Door, I quickly sold that DVD. I thought the movie was pretty good, and I remember before the movie came out there was an article in Fangoria about the movie. It was filmed very low budget, and Bruce Campbell did the voiceover of the lead guy, I don't remember the characters name, but he was tall and had black hair. Even Scott Spiegel, who directed Intruder, AKA Night Crew, was in it, and he was bitten by a Zombie. Highly recommended it you love Zombie movies.
Thanks for more fascinating stuff we already didn't know and that wasn't discussed in the thread already.
Old 07-31-2004, 04:55 PM   #7
fceurich39
HackMaster

i didnt care for this movie that much kind of slow and boring but a fair movie
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 05:12 PM   #8
Big Bobby D

Ryan, I too have read a lot about the upcoming dvd from A.B. But, I'm now really wanting to see it. I may buy the vhs from Tempe Video, it's only like $10. I also will probably get the Skinned Alive special edition dvd from them too (it's only $7!)
Thanks for giving me some of your opinions!
Old 07-31-2004, 05:19 PM   #9
RyanPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bobby D
Ryan, I too have read a lot about the upcoming dvd from A.B. But, I'm now really wanting to see it. I may buy the vhs from Tempe Video, it's only like $10. I also will probably get the Skinned Alive special edition dvd from them too (it's only $7!)
Thanks for giving me some of your opinions!
Yeah, I haven't seen this movie either... looking forward to the DVD.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:09 AM   #10
shift
Ring who?

the cover art what make this movie look good. But I also have not seen it , but plan on getting it one AB releases it in 2005 also.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:23 AM   #11
thrashard76

Heads up, Diabolik DVD has the new AB SE in stock for $12.99.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:32 AM   #12
booper71
HackMaster

to quote tony the tiger, it's greaaaaaaaaaaat !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-05-2005, 07:12 AM   #13
mutleyhyde
Fuck it.

I thought it was a lot of fun, and gave it three stars out of five (meaning 'good').

From my Track the Films You Watch thread entry...

Quote:
In the first five minutes of this movie, I had pegged it as a shoo-in for a 2 star, or less. However, while the acting is pretty fuckin' bad, as are the production values, well, and the script - ahem - while these things may leave a lot to be desired, the technical aspects of editing and plot aren't too shabby. The story moves along coherently, and there are enough decent plot devices to add dimension to it. This movie was obviously made by genre fans rather than career minded 'filmmakers', so I give them a pass on the acting and cornball production values. They did a great job of telling a good story with minimal production dinero, and they must have had a great time making the movie. It's actually pretty funny, in that bad movie way, and there are constant references to genre icons (the characters being named Raimi, Carpenter, etc.). The crew even had fun with the credits, condemning video pirates to duplication hell, etc. Bruce Campbell is even credited with post-production sound. And hell, any production that thanks Entenmann's Bakery is alright in my book. Recommended for zombie genre fans with a sense of humor and/or a love of shoe-string budget filmmaking.
I've got the old Splatter Rampage disc, but I just may have to check out that AB disc as well for the commentary and other stuff.

M. Hyde
Movies seen; 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
mutleyhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 07:32 AM   #14
Nemesis

damn, i've had the R2 UK release of this for ages, i should check it out one day
Old 08-05-2005, 07:37 AM   #15
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

I should've sold my Rampage disc when it was getting some cheese on ebay.
I watched the movie once but couldn't get into it that much. Everytime it started to get cool, bad acting or painful low budget would rear it's ugly head.
It does deliver on the gore though.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote