Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 01-13-2011, 01:10 AM   #31
Darryl Revok
Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post
I love the Scary Stories trilogy of books! :-) The drawings in those books were just so damn scary and creepy! :-) Totally wicked! :-)
Yeah, I had the original trilogy of those as well. And you're right, the drawings were creepy as hell.

My wife and I were talking about them a couple weeks ago while in Barnes and Noble. They re-published the books, and we actually found them at B&N but changed the artwork to much more toned down version.

I wish I would've saved my originals
Old 09-04-2011, 08:06 PM   #32
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Beginning this Tuesday, September 6th, the HUB will begin airing Goosebumps every weeknight at 5:30PM.

It looks like they are going in order, beginning with The Haunted Mask.
CPT HOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #33
nateynate87
Victim

For those who don't know yet, netflix has put up quite a few episodes for streaming.

It says all 74 episodes but they haven't added all of them yet.

According to goosebumps facebook, the missing episodes will be put up by halloween time.......

For those that have bought the uk dvd sets, I know some of the episodes that originally aired in the uk were edited.

Are the dvds back to their "uncut" state? I'd rather buy season sets then the crappy 2 episode per dvd US releases.

EDIT: also a handful of episodes of Are you Afraid of the Dark? are on amazon instant video

Last edited by nateynate87; 08-26-2013 at 03:14 PM.
nateynate87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #34
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I was one of the idiots who wasted money on all of the individual 2 / 3 episode DVD releases. So now I've got the entire series except for The Haunted Mask, Cuckoo Clock Of Doom, and Werewolf Skin (which is one of the better episodes, from what I recall).

I did a quick skim of what they've got on Netflix, and looks like they've got just about everything except The Haunted Mask and The Haunted Mask 2.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:44 AM   #35
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

I've recently come to a conclusion about R.L. Stine when trying to re-read one of his Fear Street books, chosen at random (I have the whole original set; I picked The Knife)...

He was a terrible writer.

But you bought the books anyway, the covers sold 'em.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:52 AM   #36
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

I downloaded all the episodes a while ago and watched seasons 1 through 4. I remember these being a lot better as a kid. A few episodes were actually good but majority were bore-fests. Don't know if they were cut or not. Does anyone have some episode comparisons for the cut ones?
Old 09-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #37
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Yes, unlike Are You Afraid Of The Dark, Goosebumps has not aged well. Still, I think they're fun.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:29 PM   #38
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
Yes, unlike Are You Afraid Of The Dark, Goosebumps has not aged well. Still, I think they're fun.
Some are fun but overall I felt like I was punishing myself sitting through and entire season. Might have to sit down and check out the Are Yon Afraid of the Dark seasons. Never really saw that as a kid plus they were much scarier back then lol.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #39
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
I downloaded all the episodes a while ago and watched seasons 1 through 4. I remember these being a lot better as a kid. A few episodes were actually good but majority were bore-fests.
Wow- even as a kid, I knew this show was dorky. And I am a dork, so when something like this can't stand up to The Worst Witch (assuming most people don't fall for its boundless charms everytime), that's saying something.

But it's like most of these shows, they try to push something scary and if they instead put their effort into making the characters more likable and interesting. I've only bothered with one Are You Afraid of the Dark episode in the last few years - the clown one (obviously), I think everyone who saw it as a kid agrees it was terrifying - and the characters are the weak spot. Or the acting. Some kids shows still hold up. I'd say they tried harder, cast better, and wrote smarter.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #40
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
Wow- even as a kid, I knew this show was dorky. And I am a dork, so when something like this can't stand up to The Worst Witch (assuming most people don't fall for its boundless charms everytime), that's saying something.

But it's like most of these shows, they try to push something scary and if they instead put their effort into making the characters more likable and interesting. I've only bothered with one Are You Afraid of the Dark episode in the last few years - the clown one (obviously), I think everyone who saw it as a kid agrees it was terrifying - and the characters are the weak spot. Or the acting. Some kids shows still hold up. I'd say they tried harder, cast better, and wrote smarter.
I seemed to enjoy these as a kid for the most part as a kid but I think that was due to the fact that it was rare to find airing on normal tv.

Goosebumps just didn't seem to try well with anything. Like I said, there was that occasional episode that shone but for the most part it was corny as hell, dragged and was terribly written.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #41
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
I've only bothered with one Are You Afraid of the Dark episode in the last few years - the clown one (obviously), I think everyone who saw it as a kid agrees it was terrifying - and the characters are the weak spot. Or the acting.
Yes, for some reason everyone who remembers the show remembers the Zeebo the clown episode, and that's not even one of their better episodes. I never really got the whole "fear of clowns" thing.

But there were so many fantastic episodes throughout the run. As far as TV horror anthologies go, I'd put it second only to Tales From The Crypt

Personal favorites would be:
The Tale Of The Nightly Neighbors
The Tale Of The Prom Queen
The Tale Of The Midnight Madness
The Tale Of The Frozen Ghost
The Tale Of The Shiny Red Bicycle
The Tale Of Old Man Corcoran
The Tale Of Watcher's Woods
The Tale Of The Dream Girl
The Tale Of The Silent Servant
The Tale Of The Room For Rent
The Tale Of The Ghastly Grinner
The Tale Of The Dead Man's Float
The Tale Of The Night Shift

Wish they'd release the TV seasons in the US, these would be perfect for Shout Factory.

If we're talking quality kid's horror shows, I would also highly recommend Big Wolf On Campus. Not even remotely scary, but genuinely funny and incredibly entertaining. It's basically Buffy for boys.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #42
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Personal favorites would be:
The Tale Of The Prom Queen

I was just poking around the full episodes on YouTube and noticed they replaced the wonderful use of "In The Still Of The Night" by the Five Satins in this episode. Now it's just some really awful generic track. That song is one of the reasons that episode has resonated so much. There's a moment where the girl even sings the song, and they've dubbed over it.

I have a bootleg DVD set of the entire series, and fortunately the song is on there. But if you watch the episode on YouTube, don't watch the full 24 minute version. The ones that are split into three parts seem to have the original audio.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:25 AM   #43
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
Yes, for some reason everyone who remembers the show remembers the Zeebo the clown episode, and that's not even one of their better episodes. I never really got the whole "fear of clowns" thing.
Well, he was dead. And a ghost. And you couldn't see his face (ahhh, when he left the funhouse). And he was in a "fun"house... nobody else was inside. It was just him and the Mystery Number doors. Any one of them could have been the clown. And he didn't know what the clown looked like. But you had to open door after door until you found the Exit, the exit to the whole funhouse was through the numbered doors. And several of them were jump-scare doors.

To a kid, that's heart-stopping material once it gets to a certain pitch. That is: the clown is in your house and no one else is but you. And he wants revenge (if he doesn't get his nose back).

I believe I rationalized the fear of this particular clown back then as being fear of the unknown. Certainly, the unpredictable. In movies, especially after Killer Klowns, you just had no idea what a clown could or would do in a movie. But the only notably physically-bound (altogether human) manifestation of clowns at that time was Clownhouse. Nickelodeon did a great job with Zeebo in concept: you have no idea how to kill him. You take a leap in assuming just giving him the nose back will make him go away.

At least, more imaginative viewers let their minds wander. That's why I bother mentioning that these shows as a brand usually sucked. They never really took risks or knew how to bend reality or I believe tapped into truly tangible childhood fears.

Quote:
Big Wolf On Campus. It's basically Buffy for boys.
Now there's a thought.

Last edited by DVD-fanatic-9; 09-04-2013 at 03:28 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:04 PM   #44
spawningblue
Deadite

Yeah the Goosebumps TV show came out when I was just growing out of the books. I remember being so disappointed with the first episode The Haunted Mask, being one of my favourite books it just seemed so cheaply done. That was my problem with most of the episodes (That and I remember them taming the already kiddie books down even more), although there were a few here and there that worked okay.

I agree, Are You Afraid if the Dark was much better overall. My favourite episode has always been The Tale of the Twisted Claw. I'm a sucker for any episodes or movies that take place on Halloween, plus this was a take on the monkey's paw story, and actually got kind of dark at the end. Plus the cackling old woman and the score really creeped me out. I watched it in the past year and it was still pretty effective considering.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:32 AM   #45
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
Yeah the Goosebumps TV show came out when I was just growing out of the books.
I had turned to Fear Street probably a year earlier.

If I'd only known... (way too many attempts at humor)