Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 08-23-2003, 02:50 AM   #1
r_burgos2003

Goosebumps

Anyone remember the tv show "Goosebumps"? I'm expecting a lot of you to remember (Come on, RyanPC, you have to know this series). it was based on R.L. Stein's horror books.

My favorite story of all time is "The Headless Ghost" where there is a lighthouse haunted by a guy named Otto who was headless, so he killed to get a new head.

Anyone have a favorite?
Old 08-23-2003, 03:11 AM   #2
Grim
HackMaster

I never really liked the show too much, seemed too toned down. Even though the books were pretty tame I could imagine them being alot darker and more violent. My favorite to imagine about was "Don't Look into the Basement." The two episodes that I actually remember are the only two I probably liked, the first, "THe Haunted Mask," I think. The second being the one about the summer camp, I can't remember the whole plot but I know that at the end it was all a hoax and it was part of some big plan for the remaining kid.
Old 08-23-2003, 03:14 AM   #3
r_burgos2003

Yep. I remember that one. The camera was following them then BOOM, it was a hoex. He did that a lot. Didn't like that. I remember the one with the camera (Say Cheese and Die) kinda well.
Old 08-23-2003, 03:42 AM   #4
Trout

Quote:
Originally posted by MrGrim13
I never really liked the show too much, seemed too toned down. Even though the books were pretty tame I could imagine them being alot darker and more violent.
The only problem was that the shows were aimed at kids and there would never be any way in hell to show them the way they should be shown, but who knows, maybe some of the kids that watched this show are now onto better (and darker) things.

I remember R.L. Stine was quite big at that time, now he seems to have been buried by JK Rowling.

The 90's weren't bad for "kiddie horror", with this show and (the lesser) "Are you afraid of the dark" on Nick.
Old 08-23-2003, 03:44 AM   #5
r_burgos2003

Never saw the "Dark" show since I didn't have that channel at the time.
Old 08-23-2003, 04:22 AM   #6
RyanPC

Eh, I remember this show and even the series of books (which I used to read) but it's too childish for me now. I like my horror with gore and a dark edge to it, and these just don't cut it for me anymore. I also used to watch "Are You Afraid of the Dark" which I actually liked better, the stories were darker than Goosebumps IMO.
Old 08-23-2003, 04:25 AM   #7
r_burgos2003

ah. Did you ever see "The Headless Ghost"?
Old 08-23-2003, 06:26 AM   #8
RyanPC

Quote:
Originally posted by r_burgos2003
ah. Did you ever see "The Headless Ghost"?
I don't think so. I haven't watched that show for years.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:37 AM   #9
puddytay

I have the show on dvdr. I like it but not as much as I would if I were 10. I used to love the books so much.
Old 08-23-2003, 01:24 PM   #10
ZombieDrummer

i used to love the books becuase they could be read in about an hour! seriously, look back at them now and see how few pages they have and how big the font is.

My favorite was 'say cheese and die', i also liked the one where the girl gets the mask stuck to her face.
Old 08-23-2003, 04:40 PM   #11
Grim
HackMaster

I remember at one point in third grade that we weren't even reading them anymore, it was just a race to see who can get the most books.

I loved Are You Afraid of the Dark as a kid. Despite still being aimed at kids, it came on later and was much darker than Goosebumps. I loved the campfire story aspect of it. I remember me and my friends tried starting something like that, the only problem was we didn't have any clever screenwriters to write stories for us.
Old 08-24-2003, 12:19 AM   #12
r_burgos2003

Never officially read the books. I only read the watered down "tv novel" book that contained "8 PAGES OF COLOR PHOTOS FROM THE TV SHOW!" of "The Headless Ghost"
Old 08-24-2003, 12:28 AM   #13
Grim
HackMaster

I think that novel was the same as the regular book, just with pictures from the show, so I don't think it's watered down.
Old 08-24-2003, 12:32 AM   #14
r_burgos2003

Oh, It was only about 37 pages (45 including the 8 pages of pics) long. And the regular was over a 100 if I remember correctly.
Old 08-24-2003, 12:38 AM   #15
Grim
HackMaster

Hmm, guess I was wrong. The Haunted Mask, which I remember as being the first episode was the only completely faithful adaptation in my opinion.