Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 07-01-2015, 10:19 PM   #31
Ash28M
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by x666x View Post
I thought I read people have actually died working at Amazon warehouses. Not really an ideal business to support, either. The whole "but it's cheaper" idea does not justify monopolies and what they do to their employees and the economy at large. At least when businesses are smaller, it is easier to keep them in check. But that could be a crazy long discussion.
I would agree if small businesses weren't a pain in the ass if you ever want to return an item or didn't overcharge on everything. I can see paying as much as $5 more for a blu ray. Some of them just charge stupid prices and just make me angry. I would hate to see Suspect Video in Toronto go under because they are a great store and are fair. It's going to happen eventually though. I saw on facebook the other day that they are already making a plea for help.

Last edited by Ash28M; 07-01-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Ash28M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:29 PM   #32
Dobby
quantum physics

For the record Amoeba Records is NOT an indie record store. They are a 20 milion dollors per yer/per store coorperation end of discussion. I loathe them and I refuse to give them a damn penny. They drove out of business all of the local records stores.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:42 PM   #33
Katatonia
Hellbound Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
For the record Amoeba Records is NOT an indie record store. They are a 20 milion dollors per yer/per store coorperation end of discussion. I loathe them and I refuse to give them a damn penny. They drove out of business all of the local records stores.
That's not always a bad thing. The 2 "indie" record stores here are truly shit now. They never have anything, or when they do it's in ass-wiped condition and usually ebay-level priced. Plus their employees are generally complete assholes. Hardly anybody shops in either store these days, and it's easy to see why.

The big bad Hastings store here is just far better in all areas, and I don't feel sorry for the indie stores here at all... they really did it to themselves.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:42 AM   #34
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by x666x View Post
I thought I read people have actually died working at Amazon warehouses. Not really an ideal business to support, either. The whole "but it's cheaper" idea does not justify monopolies and what they do to their employees and the economy at large. At least when businesses are smaller, it is easier to keep them in check. But that could be a crazy long discussion.

Well, the business I worked at found reasons to lay off or fire employees for being ill rather than acquiesce to requests for time off, even a couple of days to consult a physician.
They also promised to re-hire their long time staff for seasonal work after the school months were over and then reneged on all offers while hiring new staff.
They also solicited contributions for charitable causes, the proceeds of which were in constant question as to where they were actually being funneled.
All the while, charging MSRP on books that were often as much as 30-40% cheaper on amazon.ca and other online retailers.
A business is a business, if you intend to put yourself in the poorhouse by being admirable and supporting businesses that are doomed to fail facing the rise of internet commerce that's clearly not my intention.
I'd hardly call amazon a monopoly either, I've used deep discount for films frequently and other online retailers for books as well.
When I worked security/loss prevention for a large electronics company in the late nineties we were made aware of accidental deaths in some of our warehouses, where forklifts and heavy equipment are used this can happen concerning any corporation.
Again a business is a business, anyone who deludes themselves into thinking they actually give a damn about their employees or customers in these times is not being realistic. Profits first and foremost, always been that way. Whether you enjoy the experience of going to the mall and physically buying stuff or having it delivered by an online store the end result is the same. Malls and the shopping experience of yesteryear are being rendered obsolete by the advances in technology nothing is going to change that.

Last edited by Anthropophagus; 07-02-2015 at 12:47 AM.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:33 AM   #35
chancetx
Maniac

I shop at Amoeba (since it's one of the few music/movie stores still around) but find myself buying less and less. I'll flip through the horror section and the prices are just too steep to justify impulse buys. They'll get "promo" copies of Scream Factory or other label titles with the bar code punched out but still price them well above Amazon - and then they won't buy them back because they're "promos". I've found some good deals and hidden treasures there over the years but more and more I feel like it's not worth the trouble.
chancetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:42 AM   #36
chancetx
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropophagus View Post
I'd hardly call amazon a monopoly either, I've used deep discount for films frequently and other online retailers for books as well.
That's true. I got an Amazon gift card for my birthday a few months ago and still haven't used any of it because I keep finding items cheaper elsewhere. I just spent over $100 at Deep Discount during their summer sale. For books, Alibris sends me coupons for purchases pretty much every day and they seem to offer all the same marketplace items Amazon does.
chancetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:11 AM   #37
Dobby
quantum physics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
That's not always a bad thing. The 2 "indie" record stores here are truly shit now. They never have anything, or when they do it's in ass-wiped condition and usually ebay-level priced. Plus their employees are generally complete assholes. Hardly anybody shops in either store these days, and it's easy to see why.

The big bad Hastings store here is just far better in all areas, and I don't feel sorry for the indie stores here at all... they really did it to themselves.

Amoeba is insane and charges full retail on used movies. Sorry but that is absolutely total bullshit in my opinion. There is only a small hanful of record stores left that are indie. As for Amoeba's employees they are snobs/assboles and rude as hell. To be honest I just avoid most record stores sense none of them never have what I want. I usually find what I want online and Amazon prime is the awesome!
Old 07-02-2015, 06:19 AM   #38
Dobby
quantum physics

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancetx View Post
I shop at Amoeba (since it's one of the few music/movie stores still around) but find myself buying less and less. I'll flip through the horror section and the prices are just too steep to justify impulse buys. They'll get "promo" copies of Scream Factory or other label titles with the bar code punched out but still price them well above Amazon - and then they won't buy them back because they're "promos". I've found some good deals and hidden treasures there over the years but more and more I feel like it's not worth the trouble.
Yeah they are nuts $17 for a used copy of Terror Train WTF? Yeah I mentioned a while ago a postman that steals merchandise. I have seen this guy dumping massive amount of shout factory at the bay back counter. All your buying is way over priced stolen merchandise. Also never ever ever sell to Amoeba. Crackhead drug addict employees don't pay you nothing.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:00 PM   #39
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropophagus View Post
Well, the business I worked at found reasons to lay off or fire employees for being ill rather than acquiesce to requests for time off, even a couple of days to consult a physician.
They also promised to re-hire their long time staff for seasonal work after the school months were over and then reneged on all offers while hiring new staff.
They also solicited contributions for charitable causes, the proceeds of which were in constant question as to where they were actually being funneled.
All the while, charging MSRP on books that were often as much as 30-40% cheaper on amazon.ca and other online retailers.
A business is a business, if you intend to put yourself in the poorhouse by being admirable and supporting businesses that are doomed to fail facing the rise of internet commerce that's clearly not my intention.
When I worked security/loss prevention for a large electronics company in the late nineties we were made aware of accidental deaths in some of our warehouses, where forklifts and heavy equipment are used this can happen concerning any corporation.
Again a business is a business, anyone who deludes themselves into thinking they actually give a damn about their employees or customers in these times is not being realistic. Profits first and foremost, always been that way. Whether you enjoy the experience of going to the mall and physically buying stuff or having it delivered by an online store the end result is the same. Malls and the shopping experience of yesteryear are being rendered obsolete by the advances in technology nothing is going to change that.
Good stuff. I occasionally pay more at a local shop in hopes that I'll still have a place to go. Its also nice to know that at least some of that money is putting food on a neighbors table.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:43 PM   #40
Hellbilly
HellPumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattyjoe37 View Post
I do however, prefer to buy from independent stores in my area than buy from Amazon.
That's what I've been doing for the last two years. After ordering from amazon for 11 years I quit cold turkey in 2013 (around the same time this thread was posted).
I buy my groceries and whatever at stores, so why not my Blu-rays as well? No big deal and no hassle. Plus my Blu-ray buying habits went from 15-20 (online) down to 5-7 a month. No more unwatched amazon bargain deals cluttering my shelves, and I'm fine with that.

Movie Tracker 2015
Hellbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:04 PM   #41
horrorlover
Stalker

I don't buy any any of my media from local stores anymore. it's more convenient to order online from Amazon of DeepDiscount and just wait for my item in the mail, I also order from Amazon UK, Amazon Germany, Amazon Italy occasionally. I don't care about having a local shop to go to. I stopped going to local stores many years ago. As long as I can order the discs and get them that's all I care about. I don't mind waiting a week to get my movies in the mail. But then I was doing this same thing back even before I had the internet I use to do mail order back in the 90's from catalogs for movies on VHS. So this is nothing new for me. It's cheaper for me to order. I don't spend gas money driving to the store then driving back home just to go get a blu ray. I don't have to take time specifically just to go get a movie or music or whatever I'm looking for, I can order online and forget about it until it arrives in the mail. Much more convenient that way. Plus the movies I want are probably not even going to be in a local store anyhow so why even bother with looking, yeah they might have it, but why waste my time and money looking for it when chances are I'll probably just have to go home and order it anyhow. I can always find it cheaper online anyhow. Amazon always have good prices compared to the local store here, I can always find scream factory releases on amazon for about $10 less on amazon than the local store, and I'm not in the business of subsidizing some local store, I'm in the business of subsidizing myself. I don't care about how tough it is for some local business, if they can't compete that's their tough luck, I don't care how tough it is for them, it's tough for me and everyone else out there too. If they are not able to compete in the DVD and blu ray business maybe they should find another business they can compete in.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:13 PM   #42
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorlover View Post
If they are not able to compete in the DVD and blu ray business maybe they should find another business they can compete in.
Certainly those are all valid points. But Amazon doesn't employ anyone in my area. And more people working means less crime and less government assistance.

I don't really care for perusing the aisles like I used to but I do enjoy having a local toy store that I can take my kids to on the weekends. Picking out toys on the Internet doesn't have the same appeal. It's a nice bonus that Vintage Stock has toys and Shout Factory/Scorpion/Olive releases.

Little parenting tip: don't let your kids pick out toys when you go to the grocery store or Wal-Mart. They'll drive you nuts every time you need a carton of milk. Thankfully I learned this from watching my nieces and nephews. My kids only get toys from toy stores. When I get them toys from Internet retailers I make it into a game. I hide the toys and then they get a surprise letter from a pirate or super spy with an activity or map to their toys. Its like Christmas morning. Only drawback is that they pester the crap out of me every time I get the mail.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:37 PM   #43
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
Huh?, You just bought something from there didn't you? And you were giving people the heads up were to get said Blu.

baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:25 PM   #44
Dobby
quantum physics

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggio View Post
Huh?, You just bought something from there didn't you? And you were giving people the heads up were to get said Blu.

No that was an online store with promo code. That has nothing to do with the retail stores.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:43 PM   #45
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
No that was an online store with promo code. That has nothing to do with the retail stores.
Oh, my mistake. Fair enough.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote