Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > Reader Reviews

Old 07-21-2014, 03:39 AM   #16
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by msw7 View Post
I saw this last night and just couldn't like it at all.

I think my biggest problem though was with the apparent military strategy: Earth is being invaded by giant monsters, and the best strategy is to use cutting edge, mind-bending (literally) advanced technology to build a giant robot so you can punch the monsters right in their fucking faces. Yeah! What?

I couldn't turn my brain off quite that much. The narration also bothered me, and I didn't really like any of the characters. And for what it was, most of the fights went by too quickly. I mean, if you're going to the WWF for military advice, at least drag out the fights a bit longer.

I agree with the point about the scientists being goofy, even rising to the level of an offensive stereotype, but it was nice to see Charlie Day still working (that was maybe the only positive thing about this movie for me, other than the effects being generally pretty well done).
The acting and some of the character were what I found annoying second time through. I wanted to see monsters and robots dues so I was happy to turn my brain off when that action was happening. I don't recall the fights being over that quickly; Godzilla on the other hand....
Old 07-21-2014, 04:22 AM   #17
msw7
Morso a morte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
The acting and some of the character were what I found annoying second time through. I wanted to see monsters and robots dues so I was happy to turn my brain off when that action was happening. I don't recall the fights being over that quickly; Godzilla on the other hand....
I guess I just didn't feel too involved in the action, though mostly only in the first half of the movie - seeing the monsters on TV screens or fights described in the narration made it seem too distant to have much impact.

You're probably right about the fights in Godzilla going on too long - is 27 movies too long?

but at least Godzilla has some personality. These kaiju just had nothing - they showed up, maybe put up a fight, got killed, and then the next one came.
msw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:52 AM   #18
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
I guess I just didn't feel too involved in the action, though mostly only in the first half of the movie - seeing the monsters on TV screens or fights described in the narration made it seem too distant to have much impact.

You're probably right about the fights in Godzilla going on too long - is 27 movies too long?

but at least Godzilla has some personality. These kaiju just had nothing - they showed up, maybe put up a fight, got killed, and then the next one came.
Obviously I'm talking about the latest Godzilla movie.

The Kaiju in Pacific Rim were a lot more interesting in terms of design. Godzilla's MUTO looked very average and sadly got more screen time than Godzilla himself.
I need to re-watch Pacific Rim but I remember the monsters getting more and more difficult to fight as the film progressed. The only fight I thought was very quick was the last one with the Class 5 Kaiju.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:34 AM   #19
msw7
Morso a morte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
Obviously I'm talking about the latest Godzilla movie.

The Kaiju in Pacific Rim were a lot more interesting in terms of design. Godzilla's MUTO looked very average and sadly got more screen time than Godzilla himself.
I need to re-watch Pacific Rim but I remember the monsters getting more and more difficult to fight as the film progressed. The only fight I thought was very quick was the last one with the Class 5 Kaiju.
Yes, they did get more difficult as the film went on, and the double towards the end was actually the best one, I thought. But a lot of the easy fights at the beginning went by quickly or off-screen, which didn't work to get me engaged.

I'm not saying the movie should have gotten bogged down in a long fight early on, but it didn't work for me as is.
msw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:27 AM   #20
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Yes, they did get more difficult as the film went on, and the double towards the end was actually the best one, I thought. But a lot of the easy fights at the beginning went by quickly or off-screen, which didn't work to get me engaged.

I'm not saying the movie should have gotten bogged down in a long fight early on, but it didn't work for me as is.
I probably would have been happy if it was just robots and monsters fighting the whole time with minimal story Hopefully the sequel has even more fights or at least longer ones.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:23 PM   #21
dave13
HackMaster

I started watching this last night, for the first time, but had to go to bed with about 45 minutes remaining. it's entertaining enough, although the acting, particularly from the lead, is definitely poor. i was happy to see Ron Pearlman show up, that was a nice surprise. i was kind of amused by the ridiculous techno-babble..."don't chase the rabbit" "ride the drift". and there were some seriously stupid plot points - a giant steel wall? really? after we've already seen them decimating gigantic buildings? but i can't really criticize the film for being unrealistic or silly - that's kind of inherent in the genre. the idea that the jagers could be carried around by a couple of helicopters on wires? believing an ocean freighter could bear its own weight when being swung like a baseball bat? the whole thing is ridiculous, but that's ok - it's fun enough. after finishing it tonight, though, i doubt i'll ever feel the need to watch it again.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote