Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > Reader Reviews

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 03:39 AM   #16
Zombie Dude
HackMaster
 
Zombie Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by msw7 View Post
I saw this last night and just couldn't like it at all.

I think my biggest problem though was with the apparent military strategy: Earth is being invaded by giant monsters, and the best strategy is to use cutting edge, mind-bending (literally) advanced technology to build a giant robot so you can punch the monsters right in their fucking faces. Yeah! What?

I couldn't turn my brain off quite that much. The narration also bothered me, and I didn't really like any of the characters. And for what it was, most of the fights went by too quickly. I mean, if you're going to the WWF for military advice, at least drag out the fights a bit longer.

I agree with the point about the scientists being goofy, even rising to the level of an offensive stereotype, but it was nice to see Charlie Day still working (that was maybe the only positive thing about this movie for me, other than the effects being generally pretty well done).
The acting and some of the character were what I found annoying second time through. I wanted to see monsters and robots dues so I was happy to turn my brain off when that action was happening. I don't recall the fights being over that quickly; Godzilla on the other hand....
__________________
The Horror Collection Corner: http://www.youtube.com/user/ZombieDude0001/videos
Zombie Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:22 AM   #17
msw7
Morso a morte
 
msw7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Whale's Vagina, USA
Posts: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
The acting and some of the character were what I found annoying second time through. I wanted to see monsters and robots dues so I was happy to turn my brain off when that action was happening. I don't recall the fights being over that quickly; Godzilla on the other hand....
I guess I just didn't feel too involved in the action, though mostly only in the first half of the movie - seeing the monsters on TV screens or fights described in the narration made it seem too distant to have much impact.

You're probably right about the fights in Godzilla going on too long - is 27 movies too long?

but at least Godzilla has some personality. These kaiju just had nothing - they showed up, maybe put up a fight, got killed, and then the next one came.
msw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:52 AM   #18
Zombie Dude
HackMaster
 
Zombie Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by msw7 View Post
I guess I just didn't feel too involved in the action, though mostly only in the first half of the movie - seeing the monsters on TV screens or fights described in the narration made it seem too distant to have much impact.

You're probably right about the fights in Godzilla going on too long - is 27 movies too long?

but at least Godzilla has some personality. These kaiju just had nothing - they showed up, maybe put up a fight, got killed, and then the next one came.
Obviously I'm talking about the latest Godzilla movie.

The Kaiju in Pacific Rim were a lot more interesting in terms of design. Godzilla's MUTO looked very average and sadly got more screen time than Godzilla himself.
I need to re-watch Pacific Rim but I remember the monsters getting more and more difficult to fight as the film progressed. The only fight I thought was very quick was the last one with the Class 5 Kaiju.
__________________
The Horror Collection Corner: http://www.youtube.com/user/ZombieDude0001/videos
Zombie Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:34 AM   #19
msw7
Morso a morte
 
msw7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Whale's Vagina, USA
Posts: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
Obviously I'm talking about the latest Godzilla movie.

The Kaiju in Pacific Rim were a lot more interesting in terms of design. Godzilla's MUTO looked very average and sadly got more screen time than Godzilla himself.
I need to re-watch Pacific Rim but I remember the monsters getting more and more difficult to fight as the film progressed. The only fight I thought was very quick was the last one with the Class 5 Kaiju.
Yes, they did get more difficult as the film went on, and the double towards the end was actually the best one, I thought. But a lot of the easy fights at the beginning went by quickly or off-screen, which didn't work to get me engaged.

I'm not saying the movie should have gotten bogged down in a long fight early on, but it didn't work for me as is.
msw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:27 AM   #20
Zombie Dude
HackMaster
 
Zombie Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by msw7 View Post
Yes, they did get more difficult as the film went on, and the double towards the end was actually the best one, I thought. But a lot of the easy fights at the beginning went by quickly or off-screen, which didn't work to get me engaged.

I'm not saying the movie should have gotten bogged down in a long fight early on, but it didn't work for me as is.
I probably would have been happy if it was just robots and monsters fighting the whole time with minimal story Hopefully the sequel has even more fights or at least longer ones.
__________________
The Horror Collection Corner: http://www.youtube.com/user/ZombieDude0001/videos
Zombie Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:23 PM   #21
dave13
HackMaster
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 4,868
I started watching this last night, for the first time, but had to go to bed with about 45 minutes remaining. it's entertaining enough, although the acting, particularly from the lead, is definitely poor. i was happy to see Ron Pearlman show up, that was a nice surprise. i was kind of amused by the ridiculous techno-babble..."don't chase the rabbit" "ride the drift". and there were some seriously stupid plot points - a giant steel wall? really? after we've already seen them decimating gigantic buildings? but i can't really criticize the film for being unrealistic or silly - that's kind of inherent in the genre. the idea that the jagers could be carried around by a couple of helicopters on wires? believing an ocean freighter could bear its own weight when being swung like a baseball bat? the whole thing is ridiculous, but that's ok - it's fun enough. after finishing it tonight, though, i doubt i'll ever feel the need to watch it again.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1999-2014 Horrordvds.com

No text or images from this site may be reprinted or used elsewhere without express consent from Horrordvds.com