Old 01-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #31
fceurich39
HackMaster

looks like the dvd and blu-ray is coming out 4-2-2013
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #32
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Wow... that's some terrible graphic design that totally doesn't fit with the tone of the film at all, or the colour palette. Yikes! I actually think of Attack the Block when I see it, not John Dies... And what is with the modern design trend of names not matching up with faces?!? Is it that hard to do? Really?

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:23 AM   #33
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Ok so I saw this about a week ago and thought it started pretty good, but then it went nowhere. By the end I felt like no proper conclusion was given and wasn't sure what the story was trying to amount to in the first place. For a movie called John Dies at the End I was also puzzled as to why John didn't die at the end and furthermore there was no threat of him dying either.

Maybe I missed something but as it stands, good start, crap finish.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:41 AM   #34
MisterTwister
HackMaster

I thought it was shit.

Started off solid and had to the potential to be a really fun flick but instead it just got really annoying and overly weird and ultimately frustrated the hell out of me in the end.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:48 AM   #35
maybrick
HackMaster

It wasn't good enough to buy with that awful cover. If they decide somewhere down the line to trade up to the movie poster as they should have properly done, and cut the price in half at the same time, then I just may cave out of Don Coscarelli "completists" sake. I found it entertaining enough to revisit sometime down the line, but it isn't a high priority to buy just now.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #36
Katatonia
Master of Doom

I thought it was good, and really didn't have many complaints, but it's really not one I'm in a hurry to go back and rewatch. It just didn't give me that absolute "I loved it!" vibe after the credits finished.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #37
fceurich39
HackMaster

yeah I was a little disappointed with this film but it is still fun but nowhere close to the phantasm movies and bubba ho tep in terms of greatness
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #38
marcx
HackMaster

Added a review of this one to my new blog today:

http://living24fps.wordpress.com/201...es-at-the-end/
Old 05-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #39
russweiss
Maniac

I was disappointed with this film like many others. I'm glad I didn't buy it. It's up on Netflix now (with very nice quality). The CGI effects were terrible in many scenes and it reminded me of a syfy channel film. I agree with Zombie Dude that the title just doesn't make any kind of sense at all. Maybe the film is just so clever that I couldn't get it.
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #40
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I didn't care much for it either. I found it annoying. Kind of like Detention, where the movie thinks it's smarter than it actually is. Just random witty things happening for no apparent reason.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #41
Paff

Put me in the "annoyed" category as well. And also glad it was a Netflix rental.

This might be one of those movies like Repo Man, where I'll have to catch it on a pay channel, and only be half-assed watching to pick it up. Sort of like those old "Magic Eye" 3-D posters. If you look directly at it and focus, you can't see anything.

Or maybe it just sucked. I don't know.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #42
Workshed
October!

I enjoyed the ideas presented in the film, the mystery, the hallucinatory storytelling, and the characters. But I also kept waiting for the big reveal to make sense of it all.

...then there wasn't a reveal. And yet, I did like it and I had a good enough time along the ride that I won't discourage others from giving it a watch. I don't need to own it, but I'd watch it again to see if I can make more sense of it.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #43
Darga
Narcissistic Personality

I read the book first and felt the same way- it started off pretty interesting and I liked the characters, but eventually it just loses it. From what I understand the author just started writing and posting chapters on-line, people started following it, so he kept on adding to it until it ended up being a novel's worth. That might explain why there's a lack of resolution or a lack of explanation for some of the phenomena that occur. I think he was just wingin' it and not necessarily focusing on creating cohesive, well thought-out novel.
Darga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:26 AM   #44
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by russweiss View Post
I was disappointed with this film like many others. I'm glad I didn't buy it. It's up on Netflix now (with very nice quality). The CGI effects were terrible in many scenes and it reminded me of a syfy channel film. I agree with Zombie Dude that the title just doesn't make any kind of sense at all. Maybe the film is just so clever that I couldn't get it.
Well no one else has come up with an explanation so I say we are cleaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
I didn't care much for it either. I found it annoying. Kind of like Detention, where the movie thinks it's smarter than it actually is. Just random witty things happening for no apparent reason.
I found Detention amusing. It was way better than this anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darga View Post
I read the book first and felt the same way- it started off pretty interesting and I liked the characters, but eventually it just loses it. From what I understand the author just started writing and posting chapters on-line, people started following it, so he kept on adding to it until it ended up being a novel's worth. That might explain why there's a lack of resolution or a lack of explanation for some of the phenomena that occur. I think he was just wingin' it and not necessarily focusing on creating cohesive, well thought-out novel.
There you go. I never knew this was based on a book.