Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > Reader Polls

View Poll Results: vote
Poltergeist 2: The Other Side (1986) 43 78.18%
Poltergeist III (1988) 12 21.82%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2007, 06:09 PM   #16
Mattster

Wow. I can never get through the boring-ass II. I voted for III. A lot of fun!
Old 05-22-2007, 09:25 PM   #17
Luna

I voted for 2 a while ago merely because of that creepy old man. He's so goddamn scary with his toothy grin! I do really enjoy III as well because it has some real classic scenes. This was a tough choice for me!
Old 05-22-2007, 11:31 PM   #18
Matt89
HackMaster

Definitely Poltergeist III. I don't know how Poltergeist II is getting so many votes. This is one of the worst movies ever. It holds NO relevance whatsoever to the first one, except for the fact that it has the same characters in it. Part 2 tells us that the Feelings' house was built over a sort-of cavern where a group of people died and how they were told by their "leader" that the end of the world was coming and he just forced them to stay there with him and die. Then uhhh....why did the realtor in the original tell Steve Freeling that they just moved the "cemetery"? How they only moved the headstones? And oh...how come COFFINS were popping up in the end of the original? Oh, right...BECAUSE THEIR HOUSE WASN'T BUILT OVER A CAVERN!!! It was built over a normal, every-day cemetery. The type of one you'd see behind a church, where ordinary, every-day people are buried.

Poltergeist II is one of the worst films I've ever seen in my entire life. It's just fucking stupid. The whole movie is insulting towards the viewer, acting as if we're all stupid and can't remember the original anyway. The whole premise is foolish. You can't CHANGE the original to fit the sequel. I understand Friday the 13th, Part II shows a grownup Jason who had actually been living in the woods the whole time. This is bending the plot, yes...but is it possible? Definitely. Poltergeist II tries to not just twist, but CHANGE what you saw in the first place.

Alter the plot, but don't chance it to something that it never was! It's insulting. I'd choose Poltergeist III a thousand times over Poltergeist II. The only credit I'd give it is Jerry Goldsmith's music once again, and the performance by JoBeth Williams. Other than that, this movie can eat shit.

~Matt
Old 11-02-2013, 05:42 AM   #19
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

I just rewatched the sequels and voted for III as the stronger of the two. Sure the script does have some big faults (Why did Carol Anne's family ditch her after all the power of family love talk in II? Why is Nancy Allen's character such a hateful bitch who rips into Carol Anne every chance she gets during the second half of the film?), but I thought the direction was much more inspired. I loved the mirror gags, the evil doubles coming out of the mirrors, and the frozen parking garage set piece.
I also liked that the film was ballsy enough to kill a character. No one was killed by the ghosts in the first two films, which is fine as they were more family horror. But it does up the ante here when halfway through this film one of the major characters of the series is killed in a flash and then "gives birth" to another character who tears out of the dead body. I probably enjoyed that scene more than anything in the second film.
At the end of the day, neither sequel can hold a candle to the original and I would classify both as decent, but not bad. I just feel like III is unfairly maligned (I've read plenty of reviews calling it one of the worst films ever. Not by a long shot.) and should be given a re-evaluation by those who haven't seen it in 25 years.
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:20 AM   #20
Erick H.
HackMaster

Two gets my vote by default,it at least maintains the family dynamic (minus Dominique Dunne sadly) and has solid effects.Still,I've never cared for it,it shows far more than it should and lacks all subtlety.Part three was marred by studio interference and tragedies.The real killer though is a terrible plot.The poor effects are the icing on the cake.I had free passes to see that film and STILL felt ripped off.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:51 AM   #21
chancetx
Stalker

The original is one of my all-time favorites so I have a hard time voting for either of the crappy sequels. I picked II but given a different day or mood I might have picked III.

Julian Beck as the evil Kane is pretty much the only thing part II has going for it, but as Matt89 points out his character is inconsistent with the original movie. But he breathes life into the movie during his few scenes. If they could have built a better story around his character PII could have been a classic and Kane an iconic villian for the series. The original cast is (mostly) still there but they're not nearly as likeable as they were in the first movie. The Native American mysticism stuff is probably offensive and definitely dull.

Part III has always felt to me like they took a non-"Poltergeist" script and rewrote it to milk another sequel out of the franchise. The mirrors/reflections/evil doppelgangers is an interesting concept and I would have rather seen an original movie focusing on those aspects as opposed to Carol Ann's continuing battle with faux-Reverend Kane. Add to that how sick Heather O'Rourke looks in the film and the generally unlikeable characters and you have a movie that's just not enjoyable to watch. And how many times do characters scream "Carol Ann!" in this?! Lazy and annoying.
chancetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:25 AM   #22
Hellbilly
Water-squirting greatness

Poltergeist III is like the anti-Poltergeist movie. Whatever worked for the first and partially for the second totally backfires in the third. Wretched concept, unsympathetic characters and Carol Ann treated like shit throughout the movie.
As corny as it may sound, Poltergeist and Poltergeist II was all about family values and sticking together. Poltergeist III wants to do the exact opposite, and in the right hands it might have worked.
What we get instead is a movie about a self-centered shallow white trailer trash family living in a fancy high rise building. And as said before, its just not enjoyable to watch.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #23
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
Definitely Poltergeist III. I don't know how Poltergeist II is getting so many votes.
Same. Aside from the tequilla monster, I've always thought II was a huge bore.

III is an extremely entertaining guilty pleasure.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #24
Christy
Stalker

Went with Part 2 as I found part 3 to be terrible. It has some cool moments but the film ultimately fails. Having her entire family vanish from the film didn't help either.
Christy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #25
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

I find the whole franchise to be somewhat overrated, dull and uninteresting. To each his own though.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #26
thrashard76
Thrash or be Thrashed

I think part II worked better for me as it was closest to the original's feel. Part III had some good scenes too but it's part II that won me over.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #27
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

I definitely need to rewatch the 2nd movie. But the 3rd is totally stringless fun. It's shrill. It fucks with the framework of the superior first movie. But to me, I love unpredictability. And, after the first 2 movies, could you possibly have predicted that elevator scene?? I'll answer for you: no. No way. It sort of has a charm with its kitchen-sink approach. It just does whatever the hell it wants to, and with its cheap score and a decent visual look- it's entertaining.
DVD-fanatic-9 is online now   Reply With Quote