Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 04-19-2014, 02:42 AM   #61
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
To an extent, yes. In fact, that was one of the knocks on the film (and often cited as a reason for its poor initial reception) - the title. It really doesn't reflect that it's a remake of The Wages of Fear, not to mention you barely know that "Sorceror" is the name of Roy Scheider's truck! Since that was such a common criticism, that's why I wondered if you were being sarcastic; you sounded just like the movie viewers of 1977.

However, I would have thought one would research the movie just a little bit before checking it out. Just because the director has one horror film in his resume (amongst crime dramas, comedies, etc) I wouldn't automatically assume that every one of his movies, title notwithstanding, is horror.
There you go. Well yes, I went in knowing nothing like the people in 1977 and i didn't even catch that Sorceror was the name of the truck. All I knew was the poster looked creepy and the title sounded supernatural so I was kind of eating for a twist in the films tone at some stage.
I only assumes this was horror /supernatural due to the title and related that to The Exorcist because I was hoping this would be just as impressive in effects and tone. Obviously if this was called something different I wouldn't just male those assumptions but the title definitely got the imagination rolling in a different direction.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:44 PM   #62
rhett

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
And Jade. Horrible, but not horror, yet still watchable.
Any movie where a guy collects pubes in a jewelry box gets an immediate pass from me.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:08 AM   #63
Marv Inc.
Stalker

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Sorcer.../68651/#Review
Old 04-20-2014, 02:46 PM   #64
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett View Post
Any movie where a guy collects pubes in a jewelry box gets an immediate pass from me.
They did however include Linda Fiorentino and Angie Everhart.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:27 PM   #65
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Wow, I was under the impression that this was a cheesy sword and sorcery movie. Had no idea it was a remake of Wages Of Fear!?!?!

Will have to check this out sometime. Hate the crappy book packaging through, so will probably wait until Warner releases it in a regular blu-ray case (if they do at all, still waiting on Driving Miss Daisy and the upgraded version of Deliverance).
CPT HOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:33 PM   #66
Shlockjock81
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
Wow, I was under the impression that this was a cheesy sword and sorcery movie. Had no idea it was a remake of Wages Of Fear!?!?!

Will have to check this out sometime. Hate the crappy book packaging through, so will probably wait until Warner releases it in a regular blu-ray case (if they do at all, still waiting on Driving Miss Daisy and the upgraded version of Deliverance).
I actually like the packaging of the Blu despite the fact that they didn't use the original poster art, which even though is just a screenshot from the film, is still iconic.

It's still disappointing that such a great looking package is completely devoid of extras, though. The print looks stunning but Sorcerer deserved more.
Shlockjock81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:56 PM   #67
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:

Now you know why it was largely ignored when released. Well, that and Star Wars.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:08 AM   #68
Paff

Quote:

You should find a way to see it anyway. The Blu Ray of this movie is so amazing, it almost makes you forgiving of the lack of extras. Almost. And also, the book packaging you hate so much will tell you that Friedkin originally wanted to call the film "Ballbuster", which admit it, would have piqued your interest sooner, wouldn't it?

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:35 AM   #69
thing
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
You should find a way to see it anyway. The Blu Ray of this movie is so amazing, it almost makes you forgiving of the lack of extras. Almost. And also, the book packaging you hate so much will tell you that Friedkin originally wanted to call the film "Ballbuster", which admit it, would have piqued your interest sooner, wouldn't it?
Been one of my faves for a while and prior to seeing the amazing blu ry I had only seen the international cut (done without friedkins permission) in full frame. The international cut edits down the four prologues and places them throughout the film as flashbacks. It also uses some other unused footage and omits some others. It is basically the same film though just a changed structure with the film starting in the desolate village.
Seeing it looking stunning and in widescreen on blu was a revelation however! Top 100 film for me.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:44 PM   #70
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:

If you want this in a regular Blu-ray case, order it from Amazon.ca. We never got the book packaging here, which is disappointing (And strange as we got the rest of them) as I love Digibooks!

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sorceror