Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > Reader Reviews

Old 04-08-2015, 10:21 AM   #31
sinister
Stalker

It's been about 25 years since I watched this on VHS, when I was collecting and watching all the original "video nasties", but I remember it being one of the better ones at the time.

However it's not one of the 10 or so that I went on to buy on Laserdisc, DVD or Blu-ray to watch again over the following years, so I'd say it's worth watching once and you probably won't be disappointed in it, but don't get your hopes too high.
sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:09 PM   #32
crikan
HackMaster

I have rarely made it to the credits of films that try this hard to be offensive. They often aren't well made enough to hold my attention when the shocks start to lose their effectiveness. I found ISLAND OF DEATH to be compelling from start to finish. It's not a "good film" but it paces the depravity well enough that I could see giving it a re-watch. I doubt I'll upgrade the Arrow DVD I already have. Its a must see for fans of exploitation films.

I'm glad I haven't reached the point where I don't find ISLAND OF DEATH shocking and disturbing. Its been a few years since I watched and yet I feel like I need a shower every time I see artwork for the film.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:30 PM   #33
Kim Bruun
HackMaster

Okay, so having watched this, I can honestly say that I was engaged. Technically, it is better than many might give it credit for. Having just rewatched the Jess Franco movie Bloody Moon, where the camera frequently fails to focus, I was struck by how beautifully shot Island of Death is. The soundtrack is very minimal, though it does feature three folksy ballads which are rather endearing. The two main actors could certainly have been worse considering such exploitive material. Robert Behling is strikingly good looking and charismatic enough to carry the movie, and Jane Lyle brings an understated complexity to her role.

I'd rather not say that I enjoyed the movie, because I wouldn't want anyone to think that I was some kind of sadist, but there is a sense of fun in turning away and going "oh no, he didn't" whenever the director throws some twisted, lurid image at you. It's the kind of thing you allow yourself to be shocked by for your entertainment because it's so obvious yet contained within the realm of fiction (even the goat made it out alive, according to Mastorakis).

Best scene? Patricia takes a golden shower:

Oh, and for the record, the Arrow Blu-ray looks and sounds great.

Last edited by Kim Bruun; 05-14-2015 at 09:33 PM.
Kim Bruun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:44 PM   #34
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

The Golden Shower is the best

That's what keeps me coming back for more.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:03 PM   #35
Kim Bruun
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated Prey View Post
The Golden Shower is the best
Jessica Dublin was a trouper for going along with this scene. The way she leans into the camera - grinning, half-naked, tongue flickering wildly - has to be seen to be believed.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:47 PM   #36
Angelman
HackMaster

I'm really on the fence about getting this - I'm loving the arrow release but at $26.00 it's a lot for this one.
Angelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:40 AM   #37
Kim Bruun
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelman View Post
I'm really on the fence about getting this - I'm loving the arrow release but at $26.00 it's a lot for this one.
If you don't care much for the movie, then yes it is. But it is a nice release. Picture quality is impressive, with very few and very minor instances of print damage, and while I haven't had time to check out the extras, it is PACKED. One thing I would have loved would have been if interviews with some of the cast (particularly Robert Behling), had somehow miraculously turned up.

I don't regret shelling out the release date price for it.