Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > Laserdisc

Old 01-04-2014, 01:39 AM   #16
Franco
Weekender

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinister View Post
There's a good chart here, showing pic. size and viewing distance:

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

My mate just got the 50" version (50PN650) of that LG Plasma TV last week and it looks great to me. We compared it to the 60" version in the shop and it looked good too, but it was about double the price (950 here, the 50" was 470) so he just went with the 50 despite me doing my best to talk him into the 60.
Thanks for the chart!

Yeah, both are great, and there're models with and without Smart TV feature in those LGs! I guess I'll go for the one with 60". And will probably keep my 29" CRT for TV movies I have in DVD (4:3). It's just tube TVs occupy too much space. Hope it still fits here when I buy the plasma one.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:31 AM   #17
Dave
Pimp

Paff I know we PM'd a bit on this, but I'll post this information here just to save it.

So Paff sent me a scaler; awfully kind of him. I just paid shipping.

Let me start by stating that I hooked up my 604 player last week to my 60" Vizio TV. TV is only several months old and it's a 2013 model, so it's NEW. I put in Iron Giant (a later release) and it looked like ass. I wasn't too surprised. That's part of the reason I got the Japanese player (shipping tomorrow).

Yesterday the scaler from Paff arrived. The 604 isn't hooked up anywhere. It as sitting in a closet. When I tested it last week, I just put it on the floor. I have a mount TV and mounted shelves, so to hook up the player permanently would require opening up the casing on the shelves and hiding the wires accordingly. I didn't want to do that with a new player on the way. After the test, the player went back to the closet. To test the scaler I decided to use the bedroom TV, a 55" Samsung plasma. This TV is from 2010, so it's ancient by TV standards. I plugged in the scaler, hooked up the player, and fired it up. Looked pretty good. Significantly better than how it looked on my 60" Vizio. I was impressed. FYI, I zoomed in to blow up the image on both tests. On the first test (no scaler), I used the TV zoom. On the second test, I used the scaler zoom. For comparison sake, I hooked up the player without the scaler to see how it looked on the Samsung. Here's the shocker. It looked just as good; perhaps even better. I was floored. Now I know most, if not all, modern HDTVs will scale analog sources. Does this mean the Samsung scaler simply beats the Faroudja scaler? It's possible. I need to test more. Try with S-Video, play with settings, etc.

I had originally planned to hook my new LD player up to my living room TV, but I'm starting to think it might end up in the bedroom. Not only because it looked better, but because I'll be able to watch more movies. I get out of work at 11am and typically go home to nap. My sister-in-law is there helping with the babies. I can't ever watch movies during the day - babies are watching their Yo Gabba Gabba and what not. So throwing a laser on the bedroom tv while I try to take a nap would make the most sense.

The test will continue but I'm going to wait until the new player arrives next week. I have a few pictures I'll post but they are from a cell phone so are hardly anything concrete in terms of what I'm actually seeing. They will give you a vague idea.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:53 AM   #18
Paff

So, if I'm reading this correctly, you haven't tried the scaler with the new Vizio, only the older Samsung? And that on the Samsung, the scaler performed about the same as hooking it up directly?

I'm sure you'll try this anyway, but make sure you try the scaler with the Vizio. It's very possible the new Vizio has minimal circuitry (comb filter) designed to improve the look of analog sources. After all, who uses analog sources anymore? (see my previous post on the subject). The 2010 Samsung still had some of that technology.

I have to admit, I haven't tried connecting my 704 directly to my new Plasma; I've only gone through the scaler. Unfortunately, with only one analog input on the plasma, I can't do a true A/B comparison. I have to run one test, change the cables, and run it again. It's a bit harder to see which option offers a better picture in that situation, unless the difference is really huge.

I do say that I was more impressed the way LDs looked on my 60" plasma (through the scaler) than I expected. At the very least, it certainly looked better than on my 42", which really threw me for a loop.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:16 AM   #19
Dave
Pimp

Yup you are correct.

I will try it on the Vizio but I'll wait until my new player arrives. I'll try both players though, just to see.

I was very surprised how good it looked on my 55", but was more surprised that it looked a bit better w/o scaler.

New player should be here next week. I'll keep you posted.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:13 AM   #20
Paff

Any updates on your player/setup, Dave?

I haven't watched any all month. When I ran It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World last month, I was getting a lot of squealing from my player. But for Chinese New Year, I decided to throw in one of my old kung-fu flicks, Dragon Lord from 1982 starring Jackie Chan. It really looked good (and no squealing from the player).

Oddly enough, I'm starting to think it's my discs with mediocre transfers that look best (Hong Kong discs were traditionally rather poor....often taken from theatrical prints, so the scratches, dirt, and cigarette burns are all visible).It's the discs from the late 90s, at the end of the format, that show the limitations. I'll have to check my copies of stuff like L.A. Confidential, Boogie Nights, Saving Private Ryan, The Matrix, etc to confirm my theory. One of the discs I originally checked for quality was the first Austin Powers movie, which was considered a "reference quality" disc back in the day. It really looked terrible (it didn't help that it was also showing in HD on the Encore channel, and comparing LD to HD isn't even in the same ballpark. It's not even the same fucking sport).

Luckily, the reason I'm still holding on to LD is the extensive collection of Hong Kong discs like I mentioned, and a ton of horror. Most of those got good transfers, but not exactly "reference" quality. They should be fine.

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 02-02-2014, 11:26 AM   #21
Dave
Pimp

Sadly, the player arrived damaged. As soon as I took it out of the box, you could hear a piece rolling around the inside of the player. As it turned out, there was a small transformer type piece and two small plastic gears. While the shipping box looked great, there was little padding on the inside to absorb shock. just a thin piece of bubble wrap around the player and some newspaper on the side of the box.

Have you used rinkya.com before, Paff? They are a third party. You can bid on yahoo.co.jp auctions and they'll get the winning item and send it to you. They charge a fee based on the amount of the auction. They are pretty popular. Google searches find good and bad things said about them, as to be expected.

I told Rinkya I want a claim filed but the reality is that would mean returning the player to Fedex. That's not happening (I haven't told them that yet). I'm going to dispute the charge with my credit card company too, just to get them involved. I'm not looking for a free player. If they refund all of their fees (~$100), I would be happy with that.

It's too bad, too, because the player looks mint.

I contacted two people regarding a repair. Kurtis Bahr (long involved in the LD community; I remember him on the newsgroups back in the 90s) and Duncan of laserdiscservice.com. I opened the player and sent them pictures of the part that broke off. Both believe they can repair without having to replace the part, but couldn't guarantee it. Kurtis quoted me a better price and he lives closer, so shipping is cheaper and turnaround time is quicker. He received it on Friday and told me he would have an initial look this weekend. Best case I'm out $100. Worse case I'm out $200 + return shipping. Considering how cheaper I got the player, I'm still ahead of what they typically sell for here in the States, but only by $100 or $200. The only plus is Kurtis will fully tune it up and replace any worn gears or belts. I had considered having that done anyway; I just wanted to wait until I had a little more free money.

Kurtis told me the plastic piece this component is attached to, the one that broke off during shipping, is very brittle and it is a common problem. He said Pioneer actually changed the plastic in the replacement part because of it. He has the replacement part in stock, too. That is where the $200+shipping price comes from; if he has to replace the entire part. So perhaps I'm blaming Rinkya more than I should. But considering this was traveling from Japan to the States, there's no arguing it was packaged poorly.

Another plus is this particular player does not need a voltage converter. So the one I bought is getting returned to Amazon for another $38.00 back in my pocket.

Best case I should get it back this week, though I suspect it will be the following week.

I've picked up probably 12 lasers over the past few weeks, too. I'm dying to give them a spin. I'm done buying, though. I'm officially broke.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:54 AM   #22
Dave
Pimp

As for newer lasers, I have been listening to the commentary on the Elite Dawn box (a 1998 release) and think it looks great on my Samsung TV. And I've been looking at all the blu releases, too (got the Arrow and Happinet blus).

As for newer lasers and newer (late 90s) movies, well, I tried Iron Giant simply because it looked like shit on my new Vizio TV. It looks very good on my Samsung plasma.

These are with my old player, too. Who knows what they'll look like with the new player.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:48 AM   #23
sinister
Stalker

That's one thing I don't miss about LD players, they were always quite fragile and prone to shipping damage.

The first HLD-X9 I bought was destroyed in transit. Took it to local repair shop and they said the transport mechanism was damaged beyond repair. In the end I had to involve my credit card company to get the shop I bought it from to replace it.

The replacement one arrived OK.

When I finally sold it years later I used loads of extra padding and double boxed it in a *huge* box filled with extra packing and it still arrived damaged. Luckily the damage was minor and the buyer was able to have it repaired locally.

So that was 2 out of 3 times shipping an X9 and it was damaged in transit. It was a really big and very heavy player though.

Hope you can get your new player running OK.
sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:23 PM   #24
Dave
Pimp

I got the repaired player back. It's working great now. More importantly, it looks as if Rinkya is going to foot the repair bill. I paid it but should get reimbursed.

I tested it this weekend with the scaler and straight composite connection to the TV. While the image is slightly better than my 604, it's not significant. As for the scaler, I tested with svideo too but I'm still not impressed. Paff, I'm seeing artifacts on the screen. I played with detail settings and what not but I can't find any balance that I like. I find myself going back to straight composite to the TV.

I'm not convinced a scaler cant improve the image but perhaps because this NRS has issues I'm just not seeing it. I do like some of the features, such as the ability to put a black bar over Japanese subtitles. Awesome!

I may get an IScan HD+ in the near future. While I'm locking up the wallet, I do have some stuff I'm selling on ebay and wouldn't be opposed to using those funds buy it. As for now, I'll be enjoying the CLD-R7G with a straight composite connection to the TV.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:30 AM   #25
Paff

Black bar over the subtitles?? I didn't even know about that function, Dave! Unless you're talking about the "Letterbox" setting, which is pretty much the same as zooming in on your TV.

I'll have to try connecting my 704 directly to the TV with a composite cable and see if I prefer the look without using the scaler.

Last night I watched my HK LD of Executioners, the 1993 sequel to The Heroic Trio, starring Anita Mui, Michelle Yeoh, and Maggie Cheung. I have the Tai Seng American release of the movie too, but I hate their LDs as they put the subs in the letterboxed area so you can't zoom in. The HK discs have the subs in the picture. I have to say, it was quite watchable, and only a couple of scenes really made me aware that it was a laserdisc. Well, that and the side flip of course!

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 02-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #26
Dave
Pimp

No it has a feature that allows you to raise a black bar and it will cover the subtitles. I read about some other scalers having that feature, too. Pretty cool feature.

I'll post back again when/if I get a HD+. I found a used one I would buy if he still has it.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:56 PM   #27
Paff

Ah, the bottom blanking. I just ignored that, as I'm more concerned with the picture and not the letterboxed area. I think I have only one disc where that would be handy, the Japanese release of Phantom Menace.

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 02-11-2014, 12:19 AM   #28
Paff

Oh, and I can't imagine that the HD+ would be significantly better (or better at all for that matter) than the Faroudja.

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 02-23-2014, 01:24 PM   #29
Dave
Pimp

The HD+ definitely edges out the Faroudja. It's not night and day better but it's superior to the TV, which the Faroudja is not. And I'm not seeing the MPEG artifacts. In fairness, I haven't toyed with the settings too much on either one (besides setting the HD+ to 1080). But with default settings, the HD+ wins out. Not to mention the remote, onscreen settings, etc.

Anyway, it's been fun revisiting it and I'm now ready to actually start watching lasers again. I'm more excited that they are completely watchable now on my 55" TV, even when zoomed in on.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:24 PM   #30
Paff

Dammit Dave, you're making me consider the HD+ now.

Can you take some screenshots of all three setups? I might also have to try connecting my 704 directly to the TV and comparing that vs. the Faroudja. If it looks the same to me (like you're experiencing), I might have to look into an HD+

Hey, do you have the Video Essentials LD? They've got that Snell & Willcox pattern, the one with the bouncing ball. I always get a color smear on that ball (It's black and white), and if that could ever be shown right, that would be the definitive "best way" of connecting LD to HDTV

Paff's Laserdiscs