V/H/S (2012) 1 2.08%
The Last Exorcism (2010) 1 2.08%
The Bay (2012) 0 0%
other 2 4.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-18-2014, 08:40 AM   #31
Angelman
HackMaster

I liked the first V/H/S quite a bit. The bookend story was weak but I liked all the segments.
Angelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:43 PM   #32
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
Isn't it about a person who finds footage? makes perfect sense to me.
If that's all it takes, then my vote goes to Dead and Buried (1981).
maybrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:23 PM   #33
Steve Freeling
Screamy Bopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
I hate them all. They must die.
My thoughts exactly. It's just not believable.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:47 PM   #34
X-human
I ate my keys

Cannibal Holocaust (1980)

No question in my mind, one of the best horror films period. Its commentary about media is still on target and well woven into the narrative. Even something like Romero's Diary of the Dead was way too ham fisted about it.

I think the key for me is if it's found film footage I can usually enjoy it. Apollo 18 and Frankenstein's Army, even if they didn't make it to the list, were enjoyable for me. However Blair Witch was simply awful. Although everything wrong with that, and most since, is that the characters are all douche bags I'd normally avoid in real life, so I avoid any movie about them too.

Man Bites Dog is hilarious, it's been over a decade since I've seen it though. Back when IFC use to show shit like that. I should dust off my DVD and give it a spin again.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:17 AM   #35
shape22
HackMaster

I hate pretty much all of the nominees except for The Blair Witch Project and Cannibal Holocaust. For my money TBWP is by far the best. It told a legitimately interesting story. And the filmmakers had the restraint to play to the strengths of the format. The bulk of these films consist of unwatchable lengthy segments where the camera is shaking so much that it's unpleasant to watch. Yeah, TBWP has a few short sections like that. But for the most part it focuses on generating atmosphere, not cheap, obscured boo scares.

TBWP is proof that you can make a real film this way. For me at least it boasts a level of authenticity that the knock-offs can't even approach. A lot of that is due to the cast members, who don't get near enough credit. They sell the situation and don't appear to be actors. That's not usually the case with this genre.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:25 AM   #36
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelman View Post
I liked the first V/H/S quite a bit. The bookend story was weak but I liked all the segments.
Good God, I just tried to watch this... Thirteen minutes in, I HAD to shut it off...I just couldn't take another second of the "bro talk", the carousing around from bar to bar, and the sub-level females. It was excruciatingly painful just to watch the first 13 minutes...I can't imagine going the whole way through. I applaud your perseverance my friend.

As far as found footage films go, I wouldn't necessarily call myself a huge fan of the genre, but I think when done right they have the potential to be really refreshing...like Cannibal Holocaust, [REC], Man Bites Dog, and The Blair Witch Project. I even really liked TrollHunter and Frankenstein's Army. But just like any genre, your gonna have your stinkers.

It seems like these type of films get a bad rap because they are the "in thing", so people are going to complain about that alone, but honestly, I'd rather see these type of films getting mass produced than have to watch classic after classic get tainted by some "up and coming Euro music video director" "re-imagining" them for a newer generation. So, I am definitely not against found footage films being made in that regard...Lesser of two-evils type of thing I suppose.

Last edited by Chomp; 01-19-2014 at 01:31 AM.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:03 AM   #37
Angelman
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
Good God, I just tried to watch this... Thirteen minutes in, I HAD to shut it off...I just couldn't take another second of the "bro talk", the carousing around from bar to bar, and the sub-level females. It was excruciatingly painful just to watch the first 13 minutes...I can't imagine going the whole way through. I applaud your perseverance my friend.
Well I think that was the point of that first segment. They are meant to be too dumb to realize where it's headed...
Angelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:16 AM   #38
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
I just watched Renny Harlin's Devil's Pass on Netflix a few weeks ago, despite my general distaste for found footage films. I was surprised by how decent it turned out to be. Maybe because, unlike most of the ones I've seen, it actually manages to look cinematic, with the Russian mountains as a backdrop. Not a great film by any means, but worth a watch if nothing else is on.

My vote goes to Cannibal Holocaust. I love Blair Witch, but never feel the urge to rewatch.
I have to agree. I've always been fascinated with the Dyatlov Pass Incident and came across this on Netflix, so I figured what the hell. Not a bad little flick. It could be because I had zero expectations going in, but I enjoyed it for what it was. I may have enjoyed it enough to actually buy it when I come across it used for a couple of bucks.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:23 AM   #39
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelman View Post
Well I think that was the point of that first segment. They are meant to be too dumb to realize where it's headed...
So are you saying it gets better or can I expect more of the above? If its the latter I think I'll pass on giving another go at it...intended or not.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:06 AM   #40
zombiehorror
Victim

Quote:
So are you saying it gets better or can I expect more of the above? If its the latter I think I'll pass on giving another go at it...intended or not.
Depends on your perspective! But it is an anthology film so the characters are different in each story, except of course for the wrap around and you don't have to sit thru 90 mins of being annoyed....unless of course you just dislike the whole film!
zombiehorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:16 AM   #41
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
There are five stories all together, but that's pretty much just the first segment and a little bit in the last segment. Also the wraparound is pretty bad in that department, but if you made it to the first segment, then you're already past the worst of the wraparound.

Can't say if you'll like the film or not, but the "bro-talk" does die down considerably after the first segment. And the first segment does pay off extremely well. I'd say at least stick it out through that.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:54 AM   #42
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
I would say don't bother. Anthologies are one of my favourite subgenres, and I don't mind found footage films when done right. I thought V/H/S was a piece of crap. Terribly shot, bad acting, and stories that go nowhere with no surprise endings. The only story I didn't mind was the last one with a group of teens accidentally entering a house where an exorcist is going on, and even that one was just okay. Skip V/H/S and check out the far superior V/H/S/2. The stories are actually creative and well done, decently shot, and the acting is for the most part much better as well. V/H/S was just an abysmal mess in my opinion, amateur in every way which is rather sad considering the talent behind it.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote