Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 02-09-2012, 01:38 AM   #1
Shawn Francis
Maniac

In Search Of (70s Version) Coming To DVD!

TV SHOWS ON DVD:In some other news today, we mentioned that our contacts at Visual Entertainment Inc. (VEI) of Toronto were back in the office now, following "some recent travel to sign a couple of deals for other upcoming home video titles." One of these is for USA and Canadian DVD sets of the legendary '70s show starring Leonard Nimoy, In Search Of..., which he took up following his roles on the original Star Trek as "Spock," his addition to Mission: Impossible as "Paris," and his return to playing "Spock" on Star Trek: The Animated Series. Nimoy narrated the program through 146 episodes which examined the scientific, the supernatural, the historical, and the mythical. Topics included "Ancient Aviators," "The Bermuda Triangle," "Bigfoot," "Killer Bees," "Martians," "Nazi Plunder," "Amelia Earhart," "Dracula," "UFOs," "Inca Treasures" and "The Magic of Stonehenge"...and those are just examples from the first season out of six!

VEI informed me today that they have licensed the North American rights to the complete series of the program, with the only issue being that a pair of episodes have not been fully cleared from a legal standpoint for home video release. One of these episodes is "In Search of... Lee Harvey Oswald," concerning the assassination of U.S. President John F. Kennedy: the famous Zapruder film of the actual shooting would require separate clearance, which VEI is going to look into but - as the deal for the show itself has just been completed! - cannot guarantee yet that they'll be able to affordably do. Time will tell. VEI hopes to have the title out before this year is over, but it's too early to set a solid timeline on it, of course. Even if we have to wait until next year, it's GREAT to know that this highly-wanted program is finally on its way to home video. Want to get even MORE excited about this item? VEI is in talks with Leonard Nimoy to participate in bonus material for the DVDs, which hopefully would include "recent updates" to the topics of each installment, considering that knowledge would have grown in the past 4 decades for much of this. We're VERY excited over here, and we know you are, too! It may be quite a while before we have any, but stay tuned for updates as further developments occur.
Shawn Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:49 AM   #2
Katatonia
Master of Doom

THERE IS A DOG AFTER ALL!!!

Seriously, this is like the best news of the year thus far. I always loved the show...and was even considering buying the DVD-R bootlegs, but I'm glad I waited now. As long as it comes out...I'll be happy.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:41 AM   #3
SaviniFan
I Have A Fetish

One of my most anticipated DVD sets EVER. Finally! I've vowed to mostly only buy blu-rays from now on, but for In Search Of, I'll make an exception.

I used to love watching this as a kid in the 70's. Some of the episodes would scare the hell outta me too. I look forward to this.

PS3 Gamer Tag: SaviniFan Steam Gamer Tag: ToastyBuffoon

My DVD Profiler
SaviniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:49 AM   #4
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

I loved this series and will not hesitate to buy this on dvd. Awesome news!
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:31 AM   #5
Erick H.
HackMaster

I used to watch this Sunday afternoon when I was a kid,never missed it.This will be great,nostalgic fun !
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:32 AM   #6
Damage
Mirror Mirror

I love this series! As kids back in the day, we dubbed a bunch of episodes to VHS but my VCR fried a couple of years back. This will be greatly anticipated.
"May I point out that I had an opportunity to observe your counterparts here quite closely. They were brutal, savage, unprincipled, uncivilized, treacherous -- in every way, splendid examples of homo sapiens, the very flower of humanity. I found them quite refreshing."
My DVD List and Movie Tracker... Like you care!
Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:52 AM   #7
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

Love this show! Would buy the DVD set in a heartbeat. There's nothing freakier to me than watching an In Search Of or Unsolved Mysteries episode in dark house in the middle of the night.
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
Copyboy
Maniac

This show scared the bejesus out of my brother and me when we were kids! Can't wait!
Copyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:39 AM   #9
Katatonia
Master of Doom

It's coming out in Canada on 10/23:

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B008X8VM1W

Quote:
In February 2012, it was announced that Visual Entertainment had acquired the home video rights to the original series for the United States and Canada. In Search of: The Complete Collection will be released on October 23, 2012. Special features include a documentary hosted by Leonard Nimoy himself.

The studio has also confirmed that the 19-DVD set will include all 144 installments hosted by Leonard Nimoy. Also included are the Rod Serling-hosted specials which aired prior to the start of the regular Nimoy series. As a special bonus, VEI is also including all 8 episodes of the short-lived 2002 series, hosted by Mitch Pileggi. A special feature also includes a documentary hosted by Leonard Nimoy himself.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:49 AM   #10
Damage
Mirror Mirror

"May I point out that I had an opportunity to observe your counterparts here quite closely. They were brutal, savage, unprincipled, uncivilized, treacherous -- in every way, splendid examples of homo sapiens, the very flower of humanity. I found them quite refreshing."
My DVD List and Movie Tracker... Like you care!
Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #11
Katatonia
Master of Doom

It's now also up for pre-order at Amazon.com, for a November 27th release date:

http://www.amazon.com/Search-Of-The-Complete-Series/dp/B008X8VM1W/

I'm guessing that's probably the SRP ($150) listed right now, but the price is actually far lower ordered from Canada. You can order it for around $83 with expedited shipping.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #12
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Review: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/59132...mplete-series/

I'm currently on Season 6 in the set...almost finished! I'm totally pleased with the overall quality. A few episodes look a little more worn than others, but for being sourced from old tape masters they look pretty good and the audio is clear. I did notice one episode where the audio was out of sync for a second or two, but no big deal.

I do have the Rod Serling "Ancient Astronauts" film on another DVD set (UFOs: They Were Here) which is actually far cleaner/clearer than the source they used on this set.

Apparently they couldn't get Leonard Nimoy for any bonus features...oh well.

The box itself is really nice, with nice looking embossed gold foil on parts. All 6 seasons (and the bonus season) are enclosed in their own cases inside. The manufacturing quality is very high...there were no loose discs or any with scratches/marks. Some major studios could take a clue here.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #13
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick H. View Post
I used to watch this Sunday afternoon when I was a kid,never missed it.This will be great,nostalgic fun !
Same here - I often check Youtube for some vids and some of them still creep me out. Can't wait.
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:19 PM   #14
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/18871

In Search of... - Individual Season Sets for All 6 Seasons of the Classic Show with Leonard Nimoy

The first two seasons are already available, with two more today and the last two coming next month
Posted by David Lambert
8/20/2013

Last December, VEI (Visual Entertainment Inc.) released the long-awaited classic Leonard Nimoy series In Search of..., with every episode (including the revival show starring Mitch Pileggi, and the two pilot specials hosted by Rod Serling), in the 19-DVD gift set The Complete Collection. Since then the studio released, this past February 12th, an individual Season 1 set, with the first of Nimoy's six seasons. A few weeks ago they followed up with a separate Season 2 set; both are priced at $19.99 SRP.

Amazon.com is showing that today, August 20th, is the date that the next two DVD sets are available: Season 3 ($19.99 SRP) and also Season 4. VEI tells us that these sets have shipped out to their U.S. distributor, Millennium, but that the packages may not have actually made it to retailers (such as Amazon) just yet. Keep in mind that many smaller studios use slower over-land shipping methods (trucks and so forth) rather than costlier overnight-air drop shipments, meaning that stores can honor street date if the product has arrived in time...but it's possible that the product might not arrive until later on.

VEI/Millennium will finish the Nimoy run of the show, in individual season sets, with the September 10th street date of Season 5 and Season 6, both priced - per Amazon's listings - at $14.99 SRP each. All six of these seasons came as 3-DVD sets in The Complete Collection, so are expected to be the same way as separate packages.

Taken from: http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/18871#ixzz2cd3qx3Lk
Old 11-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #15
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

http://www.amazon.com/In-Search-The-...I1SS5IDACN1785

Currently $71.99 at Amazon. Lowest price I've seen it at.