Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 10-29-2013, 05:26 AM   #61
NaturesMistake
Stalker

The Conjuring played out as Insidious for adults. It was a more grounded ghost story (Insidious 1 and 2 were still great but were all over the place). The Conjuring also paid a ton of homages to films of the past. The Conjuring is what the Amityville remake should have been. It had awesome characterization, great scares and most importantly, thick, thick atmosphere. I also think Wan showed far more restraint here than Insidious which worked well.

I'd argue that both The Conjuring and Pain and Gain were the two best films of 2013. I can watch these two films repeatedly and not get bored (not to get too off topic).

I'll try watching it again, but I thought The Innkeepers sucked horribly. I hated that film. It tried to crib a few things from The Shining (a fuggin masterpiece) but failed miserably. It also had two very annoying leads. Also, when the ghosts show up, I remember it being cheesy.

Last edited by NaturesMistake; 10-29-2013 at 05:28 AM.
NaturesMistake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:08 AM   #62
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturesMistake View Post
I'll try watching it again, but I thought The Innkeepers sucked horribly. I hated that film. It tried to crib a few things from The Shining (a fuggin masterpiece) but failed miserably. It also had two very annoying leads. Also, when the ghosts show up, I remember it being cheesy.
What!? Shut the lights and crank the audio. That should help. I love The Innkeepers.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:49 AM   #63
HorrorFan24
Screamy Bopper

Love The Innkeepers as well. Even watched with the commentary Track, Which is something I rarely do.
HorrorFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #64
Matt89
HackMaster

Quote:
The Conjuring played out as Insidious for adults. It was a more grounded ghost story (Insidious 1 and 2 were still great but were all over the place). The Conjuring also paid a ton of homages to films of the past. The Conjuring is what the Amityville remake should have been. It had awesome characterization, great scares and most importantly, thick, thick atmosphere. I also think Wan showed far more restraint here than Insidious which worked well.

I'd argue that both The Conjuring and Pain and Gain were the two best films of 2013. I can watch these two films repeatedly and not get bored (not to get too off topic).

Insidious definitely paid homage to many films of he past. Look at the score, it's so similar to that of The Shining. The movie played out a lot like Poltergeist I think. The Conjuring, I agree was geared more towards adults but I can't decide which one I like better. There are some terrifying parts in Insidious.

Pain and Gain, lol, I thought was absolutely horrible.

~Matt
Old 10-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #65
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
The Conjuring played out as Insidious for adults.

If The Conjuring was designed "for adults" they must be adults who haven't seen many horror movies. Despite an unsatisfying final act Insidious strays a lot farther from the beaten path. That makes it feel a lot more unique. I think most of The Conjuring is very competently done. But the plot is much more stereotypical and cliched. I knew where it was headed all the time. Did anyone fail to foresee what was going to happen when the dog refused to come inside? Or that the hide and clap game was an obvious setup for a scare scene later on? I'd argue that those scenes are indicative of the mechanical way that this movie is assembled. Especially on repeat viewings it becomes very obvious that Wan is shoehorning in every derivative genre element like he's checking off a list. That may not a problem for the general film-going public. But it was a problem for me. It constantly reminded me of other, better ghost films--especially during the ludicrous climax. If there's a genre element more played out than exorcisms I'd like to know what it is.

Wan does show more consistency of tone than he showed in Insidious, where the Ghostbuster clowns seem to belong to a different film. But "restraint" isn't a word I'd associate with The Conjuring. The supernatural elements get even more face time than they do in Insidious. Is showing the disembodied clapping hands indicative of moderation? And what part of the ending is consistent with restraint?

As far as the main characters in The Innkeepers, I couldn't disagree more strongly. They're among the best this genre has to offer. As I wrote in the thread for that film, the film is totally devoid of scares. And the supernatural elements seem almost like an afterthought. But I was never bored because the two main characters are good enough to support a film on their own. That's so rare in recent horror that I can't think of another good example off the top of my head.

We have to agree to disagree. Our tastes are completely divergent.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #66
Mok
Family is Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
As far as the main characters in The Innkeepers, I couldn't disagree more strongly. They're among the best this genre has to offer. As I wrote in the thread for that film, the film is totally devoid of scares. And the supernatural elements seem almost like an afterthought. But I was never bored because the two main characters are good enough to support a film on their own. That's so rare in recent horror that I can't think of another good example off the top of my head.
Yes, totally. And this was one of the reasons why I enjoyed Conjuring. The Ed and Lorraine characters were very likable were played well.
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:58 PM   #67
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
Or that the hide and clap game was an obvious setup for a scare scene later on?
The damn blu-ray cover gives that one away.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:46 AM   #68
NaturesMistake
Stalker

Well, the Conjuring was more subtle in its scares than Insidious. An example would be the music box. The little boy appears in it but it's not a "jump" scare with loud music. The way the mother starts to notice the bruises on her body in the privacy of her own room while the that radio played was creepy scene as well. Something about the music playing and her realizing something was wrong in a supposed safe place registered on a subliminal level and worked (like when one finds a lump on their breast in the shower). Subtle may not be entirely appropriate, as the film does have it's fair share of jump scares, but they are more neat than annoying. The film didn't over show cgi ghosts either. Instead, a heavy emphasis on practical effects (enhanced by cgi) and only allowing the audience to catch glimpses of the main antagonist worked well. The back story of prior mothers killing their children in the home also added a sense of dread.

...and yes the film wasn't original in the way Insidious was, but it was an extremely well done love letter to ghost stories past.

...and yes, Pain and Gain is a controversial film. It's either loved or hated. Some people wanted to see a goofy comedy. Others found it a tasteless exploitation film on a real tragedy. Many found it to be an amazing black comedy that touched on many of the satirized themes Brett Easten Ellis touched on in American Psycho. I am part of the latter group. I for one found it to be a surprisingly deep morality tale on the permeability between good and evil and how some people of society want things handed to them but don't want to put in the work. It's essentially a film about the dangers of the seven deadly sins, the same way American Psycho was. I also laughed like a maniac through the entire film...

I really liked Ti West's House of the Devil, so I'll give Inkeepers another shot. It's been a while since I have seen it. He is hit and miss though. I liked his VHS contribution as well... but his ABC's of death short and Cabin Fever 2 were all kinds of terrible.

Last edited by NaturesMistake; 10-30-2013 at 12:59 AM.
NaturesMistake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #69
spawningblue
Deadite

I liked this film, but like with Insidious, I feel it was a little overrated. I didn't find too much of it scary, and I thought they showed a little too much, especially in the finale. I would prefer something more like the original The Haunting myself.

I'm not sure what I prefer, this or Insidious. I don't have a problem with the ghostbusters in that film, I actually liked their scenes and how they used the gas mask. The ending with Darth Maul though hurts what came before it. This film was well done for the most part, and I really enjoyed Vera Farmiga, but it didn't really excel at anything for me.

I'm not sure if expectations have anything to do with it,but I preferred House of the Devil and Innkeepers to both of Wan's films. That being said, all of them were good!

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #70
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Insidious reminded me more of House than of Poltergeist or The Innkeepers.

As for The Conjuring, terrific build-up, but they really crashed and burned during the finale.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:32 AM   #71
cjg
Maniac

Amazon has the Blu-Ray for $7.99,out of stock but still what a deal.
cjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #72
Marclar
Victim

I was very upset when I missed The Conjuring in theaters. Now after watching it at home, I am glad I did. Oddly, I did not really like the film despite the fact that I really really tried to like it after all the awesome reviews.

I thought the whole story did not carry so well, kept stalling and the scary bits of it were kind of inserted for spice. It almost made me think that the initial trailer which I saw when I went to see The Evil Dead remake was made before the movie was shot or even fully written.

Just my two cents...
Marclar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:41 PM   #73
othervoice1
HackMaster

As stated before I really enjoyed this movie when I saw it a the theatre (opening night first showing in my city even) - it was better then I expected. Since I didn't get it for Christmas I finally decided to order it on bluray and went with the UK Steelbook - I just think the cover is so much better then the US blu cover. Why the US dvd got the good cover and the blu got a crappy cover is kinda goofy. The steelbook was only 25.54 shipped and the US release on amazon right now is 24.05 and my state now pays tax on Amazon this year so it was basically the same price.

Last edited by othervoice1; 03-02-2014 at 06:43 PM.
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:38 AM   #74
zombiehorror
Victim

The wife and I both enjoyed it but I wasn't rushing out to buy it; then a few months ago Target had the Blu-ray/dvd combo for $10 (as well as a bunch of other recent releases). I just had to pick it up because I really wanted to watch it with my daughters (age 6 & 7), now these girls have just about seen it all as far as horror films go; Universal monsters, Hammer, 80's classics, stuff from the 90's/00's as well as newer stuff, we took them to see Insidous/ Insidious 2 on a double bill at the drive in. They have never had any nightmares or any fears of going to bed after a scary movie; well The Conjuring changed that!
zombiehorror is offline   Reply With Quote