Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 10-28-2013, 03:16 AM   #541
maskull
No Avatar! Boo!

October 27:

Revenge Of The Creature (1955): Liked the part when the Creature escapes into the park and everyone is running around in a panic but this one kind of treads a lot of the same ground at the end as the first one. I was cheering for the Creature to kill everyone because they treat him horribly.

The Creature Walks Among Us (1956): The Creature mutates to become a land Creature that can't breathe underwater. Kind of a cool twist on the story that also adds more elements to the story like infidelity, jealousy and literally fish out of water.

Poltergeist II (1986): I remember this one being great but this time around the ending annoyed the hell out of me. Still some good moments but a little too "Power of Love" for my tastes.

Poltergeist III (1988): This one on the other hand was a movie that I always hated. This time I actually enjoyed it.

Magic Magic (2013): You never quite know what this movie is about until the last little bit of the movie and it's a slow burn for sure but I just LOVED IT!!! Michael Cera plays Michael Cera if he was a creepy, pervy, sadistic fellow, and Juno Temple is a frail girl who slowly breaks down and goes...mad. I'm not even sure if it made total sense but it doesn't matter because it just worked for me. I was entranced by the performances and it just flew right by. I was disappointed that it had to end. I look forward to watching it again, I just wish there was a Blu Ray release for it.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:29 AM   #542
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Thumbs up

Oct. 25th

I saw Bruce Campbell live at a Q&A on Friday before Army of Darkness at Seattle Cinerama. Sold out show. I asked him a question about Waxwork II.

Bruce's response:

Spoiler:
"No one in the audience wants to hear about Waxwork II."

Great times. He was hilarious. So many funny jokes and shit-talking at the audience.

Quote:
The Seattle Cinerama:
Height: 30 feet
Width: 68 feet
Capacity: 808
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:15 AM   #543
Hellbilly
Water-squirting greatness

10.27.13 (48)

Embassy/Charter Video Classics on DVD

Psychic Killer (1975) (DVD)

Watchability:
Energy drain:

Man wrongly accused of murder seeks revenge on those who he thinks are responsible for the death of his mother - with the help of an amulet and a book about voodoo his spirit is able to leave his body and go on a killing spree. This is much better than its reputation. Strong performances by the investigating Detective and the female psychiatrist, and the sizzling dance scene with the hot nurse was just amazingly done.

The Manitou (1978) (DVD)

Watchability:
Energy drain:

Evil Manitou comes back to life by reborn-ing himself in form of a rapidly growing tumor on the neck of a young woman. Charming and fun cheese with a ridiculous but intriguing plot, solid cast and one hell of a showdown. It would be interesting to see a remake of this.

The Velvet Vampire (1971) (DVD)

Watchability:
Energy drain:

Erotic Arthouse Horror about a female Vampire seducing her house guests in the desert. I was sort of blown away on my first viewing but it lost some of its appeal on my second viewing last night. Its still entertaining with an interesting take on vampirism.

The Evil (1978) (DVD)

A group of people fixing up old mansion are suddenly trapped by Evil lurking in the cellar. Nice take on the haunted house genre with nods to The Legend of Hell House. The hand/saw scene remains quite effective!
Old 10-28-2013, 07:31 AM   #544
old-boo-radley
They stay the same age...

59. The Evil Dead
60. Evil Dead remake (again)
61. The Evil Dead II
Old 10-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #545
Gore Lunatic
Violenza Carnale

The Last Exorcism Part II (unrated cut) Blu-ray
Stigmata DVD
The Exorcist III DVD
Old 10-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #546
Silent Noize
Maniac

October 1st

01. Night Gallery: The Cemetery

October 2nd

02. Night Gallery: Little Black Bag

October 3rd

03. Night Gallery: Finnegan's Flight

October 4th

04. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)

October 5th

05. Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985)

October 6th

06. Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986)

October 7th

07. Night Gallery: Class of '99

October 8th

08. Night Gallery: The Return of the Sorcerer

October 9th

09. Night Gallery: Aunt Ada

October 10th

10. Night Gallery: A Question of Fear

October 11th

11. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)

October 12th

12. The Shining (1980)

October 13th

13. The Fog (1980)

October 14th

14. Christine (1983)

October 15th

15. They Live (1988)

October 16th

16. The Thing (1982)

October 17th

17. Prince of Darkness (1987)

October 18th

18. In the Mouth of Madness (1994)

October 19th

19. The Mummy's Hand (1940)
20. The Mummy's Tomb (1942)
21. The Mummy's Ghost (1944)
22. The Mummy's Curse (1944)

October 20th Happy Birthday Bela Lugosi!

23. Dracula (1931)
24. White Zombie (1932)
25. The Black Cat (1934)
26. The Raven (1935)
27. Son of Frankenstein (1939)

October 21st

28. The Seventh Victim (1943)

October 22nd

29. The Mask of Satan (1960)

October 23rd

30. The City of the Dead (1960)

October 24th

31. Night of the Demon (1957)

October 25th

32. I Bury the Living (1958)
33. Night of the Living Dead (1968)

October 26th

34. The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue (1974)
35. Zombie (1979)

October 27th

36. Dawn of the Dead (1978) [Extended Version]
37. Day of the Dead (1985)

October 28th

38. The Return of the Living Dead (1985)
Old 10-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #547
crikan
HackMaster

** = first time viewing
10/01 - Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988) 5/10
10/02 - Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989) 6/10
10/03 - The Awful Dr. Orlof (1962) 4/10 **
10/04 - Black Sunday (1960) **
10/05 - World War Z [Unrated] (2013) 6/10 **
10/05 - Stripperland (2011) 4/10 **
10/06 - A Bay of Blood (1971) 8/10 **
10/07 - Female Vampire (1973) 1/10 **
10/08 - Student Bodies (1981) 5/10 **
10/09 - Return to Horror High (1987) 6/10 **
10/10 - Kill Baby, Kill (1966) **
10/11 - Lisa and the Devil (1973) **
10/11 - The Hitchhiker: A Whole New You (1991) 1/10 **
10/12 - The Hitchhiker: True Believer (1986) 4/10 **
10/12 - The Hitchhiker: W.G.O.D. (1985) 5/10 **
10/12 – Doctor Jekyll vs. The Wolfman (1972) 6/10 **
10/13 - Crimson (The Man with the Severed Head) (1973) 1/10 **
10/13 – Berserker: The Nordic Curse (Berserker) (1987) 4/10 **
10/14 – Victims! (1985) 4/10 **
10/15 – Elvira's Movie Macabre: The House That Screamed (1969) 7/10 **
10/16 – Elvira's Movie Macabre: Maneater of Hydra (Island of the Doomed) (1967) 3/10 **
10/17 – Death Ship (1980) 5/10 **
10/18 – Ghost Ship (2002) 6/10
10/18 – Wrong Turn (2003) 6/10 **
10/19 – Wrong Turn 2: Dead End (2007) 6/10 **
10/19 – Wrong Turn 3: Left for Dead (2009) 2/10 **
10/20 – Tombs of the Blind Dead [Spanish Uncut] (1972) 6/10 **
10/21 – The House by the Cemetery (1981) 6/10 **
10/21 – This Is the End (2013) 8/10 **
10/21 – Seeding of a Ghost (Zhong gui) (1983) 7/10 **
10/22 – The Killer Snakes (She sha shou) (1975) 4/10 **
10/22 – The Night of the Sorcerers (La noche de los brujos) (1974) 6/10 **
10/23 – Evil Dead II (1987) 5/10 **
10/23 – Evil Head (2012) **
10/23 – Kiss of the Damned (2012) 9/10 **
10/24 – Babysitter Massacre (2013) 4/10 **
10/24 – Cyrus: Mind of a Serial Killer (Cyrus) (2010) 8/10 **
10/25 – Wrong Turn 4: Bloody Beginnings [Unrated] (2011) 7/10 **
10/25 – Wrong Turn 5: Bloodlines (2012) 5/10 **
10/25 - Beverly Hills Vamp (1989) 6/10 **
10/ - Highschool of the Dead (2010) 6/10 **
10/26 – The Evil of Frankenstein (1964) 5/10 **
10/26 - Night Creatures (1962) 7/10 **

Highschool of the Dead (2010) 6/10 **
Highschool of the Dead follows a group of high school students as they fight their way to safety through the deadly streets of Japan during a worldwide zombie pandemic. Led by sophomore Takashi Komuro, the focal group of survivors consists of six others and a small dog, and creating a gestalt team with one purpose: to survive.

HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD delivers some terrific zombie slaying mixed with just the right amount of fan service (i.e. close-ups of cleavage and panty shots). As the series goes on it mixes in more drama but there were only a few times where I thought it went on for too long. And any annoying drama parts were always followed by an excellent action set piece. While I can’t stand the reluctant hero types that are in just about all anime, Takashi is less annoying than most. And even if he wasn’t the series would have been worth sitting through for the hot chick with a samurai sword vs. zombies. It left me wanting to pick back up Dead Island or Dead Rising to do some zombie killin’ of my own.

The Evil of Frankenstein (1964) 5/10 **
Penniless, Baron Frankenstein, accompanied by his eager assistant Hans, arrives at his family castle near the town of Karlstaad, vowing to continue his experiments in the creation of life.

Unfortunately EVIL just didn’t live up the original (The Curse of Frankenstein). While some of the sets and effects are very well done a few are bad to the point of distraction. But mostly it doesn’t have the same “edge” or “intensity” that the first film had. I still think it was worth seeing and the monster looks very good.

Night Creatures (1962) 7/10 **
In this engaging costume melodrama of skulduggery on the low seas set back in the 18th-century, the Royal Crown suspects a bit of smuggling is going on in this locale, and they send Captain Collier and his crew to check it out.

Despite the ominous title and its inclusion in Universal’s Hammer “Horror” Series, NIGHT CREATURES has about 60 seconds of horror elements. But that didn’t affect my enjoyment of the film. It might be my favorite Hammer film to this point.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #548
dave13
HackMaster

Curse of Chucky (Don Mancini, 2013)

The general response to this seems to have been favourable, and I guess when compared to either the current state of popular horror cinema, or the last couple of entries in what was once the Child's Play series, it is a step up. But that really is damning with faint praise. At the end of the day, I didn't like the film. It wasn't horrible, but there was enough bad to outweigh the good. And unfortunately the "bad" is the most important stuff - the material with Chucky. When he's an inanimate doll, most of the stuff with him is done well. Even a few scenes where you just see his hands or feet really work. But once he starts to talk, once his face starts to change, once Dourif is introduced in his cameo, it all falls apart. The character is inconsistent, the look is inconsistent, and the parts that are supposed to be either scary or darkly funny end up not being either.

Child's Play 2 (John Lafia, 1990)

Curse of Chucky was ultimately pretty week, but watching this immediately after really sealed it's fate. Not as good as the first, but this is what Chucky is supposed to be like. Dourif's vocal performance is leagues better in this. He even delivers the exact same line at one point (the "hide the soul" line), and listening to one after the other really shows just how big a difference there is. Again, it's not up to the standard of the first - we've already seen Chucky do his thing, there's no more mystery or anticipation, which was responsible for a lot of the tension in the original - but it's about as good a sequel as you could reasonably hope for. The scene where Chucky sticks the knife blade into his wrist has always made me squirm.

Hellraiser: Revelations (Victor Garcia, 2011)

In the Curse of Chucky thread my first reaction was that it looked "like the Hellraiser: Revelations of the Child's Play series." At that point I still had not seen H:R. Well, now I've seen them both, and I will give Curse what credit I can - it's nowhere near as bad as this. I agree with the moral outrage that Chunkblower expressed in his great review on the site, so I won't go into that. But as a film, this thing is just abysmal. There's only one real set (most likely the posh house of one of the Dimension executives who funded this mess), and the characters are so paper thin that by the time it was over, I wasn't even sure who's sister the blonde girl was supposed to be, or which set of unreasonably young-looking parents were supposed to be hers. The screenwriter for this literally just took two plot points from the first film:
Spoiler:
the having sex with people and killing them for blood bit and the hiding in someone else's skin bit
and dragged them out for (barely) over an hour with some found footage bullshit and some dinner party drama. But far and away the most insulting part of this film is the Pinhead character. His pretentious pseudo-S&M clap-trap is horrendous. Like a MAD Magazine parody of the Hellraiser films. A sample Pinhead line from the movie: "You have a darkness that rivals my own, Nico." Oh, fuck off. After 9 films, Pinhead, the emissary and high priest of hell has finally found a kindred spirit?...in an angsty upper-class douche-bag teenager with mommy issues, whose most significant act of rebellion was probably getting YOLO tattooed somewhere on his body. Fuck you, movie.

Last edited by dave13; 10-28-2013 at 02:57 PM.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #549
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

October 28th

68) Paranormal Activity

69) Blair Witch Project
Old 10-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #550
shape22
HackMaster

10/19

26. Son Of Dracula 3/5--Stark, noir-like B&W photography and some intriguing ideas help this rise above most of the later Universal sequels. Chaney is laughably miscast as Dracula. He must be the most voracious vampire ever. Exactly how much blood would he need to drink to get that beefy? He'd need to decimate entire regions. But reliable Curt Siodmak's script features some interesting wrinkles. And his brother Robert, directing his first feature, shows some flair behind the camera--particularly in some atmospheric shots of Dracula's coffin rising in the swamp. Recycles music cues from almost all of Universal's recent horror hits--and even the credits music for their Sherlock Holmes series during the climax. Unfortunately makes very little use of scream queen Evelyn Ankers. Her role is little more than a cameo.

27. Sleepless 4/5--Latter-day Argento giallo is one of his best recent films. The mystery elements are more coherent and interesting than usual (for Argento). And Max Von Sydow lends gravity as a retired police detective pulled back into an old case. Starts fast with a suspenseful, fantastic sequence that sets the events in motion. And full of nasty, well staged murders. Goblin's score is effective without matching their more memorable efforts.

28. The Dead Pit 3/5--Fun variation on the zombie formula is buoyed by a good performance from Jeremy Slate and busty Cheryl Lawson's standard insane asylum issue uniform--a tight half-shirt and hi-cut panties. Understands what it is and delivers the goods. Definitely not memorable or resonant--and saddled with a cliched back story that you'll see coming immediately. Just a fun romp in the signature late 80s style.

10/20

29. The Lady In White* 2/5--Extremely uneven mishmash of conflicting styles and genres never gels. Starts out like a goofy after school special before suddenly transitioning to an ugly child assault. You have to wonder who the intended audience is. Adult themes are too much for kids. But the story-telling never rises above a juvenile level--with clumsily telegraphed "surprises," grade school level humor, and a shoehorned race relations subplot that's delivered with all the subtlety of an anvil to the head. And what's with the pointless opening scene? It seems to be setting up a framing story. But there's no corresponding sequence at the end. Family scenes with the bickering grandparents are clearly aiming for the same kind of exaggerated reality as "A Christmas Story." But they badly miss the mark. I'm really bewildered by all the love for this one. Is nostalgia a big factor? At least Alex Rocco gets a rare sympathetic role.

30. It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown 4/5--Peanuts classic gets docked a star for the extended Snoopy WWI flying ace segment. It feels like filler. Still plenty to enjoy, with numerous iconic Charlie Brown moments. A nostalgic treat for children of the 70s--and one that I always enjoy revisiting.

31. Messiah Of Evil* 5/5--My favorite part of this annual marathon is discovering a great film that I haven't seen before. This is my favorite so far this year. It's a slow-burn trip to hell that's very reminiscent of Let's Scare Jessica To Death in both mood and its female lead narrator. Takes time to get rolling. But establishes a mood of uneasy foreboding right from the start. Protagonist Marianna Hill underplays among a supporting cast that can't be accused of subtlety. But the amateurish and awkward moments only add to the creepy atmosphere. Features two absolute standout sequences--a fluorescent nighttime supermarket chase and a tremendous scene in an initially deserted cinema. Clearly draws inspiration from both Carnival Of Souls and Night Of The Living Dead. But manages to create a nightmarish world all its own. Deserted seaside setting is mined for maximum effect. And Bennie Robinson is memorably freaky as the albino trucker. If you enjoy low-key, creepy horror seek this out immediately. I'm looking forward to watching it again.

10/21

32. The Conspiracy* 3/5--Yet another found footage flick that unravels in the final reel. This one has enough good moments along the way to give it a reserved recommendation. Two documentary filmmakers set out to make a film about the absurdities of eccentric conspiracy kooks. But when their main subject mysteriously disappears they feel compelled to dig deeper. Initially shows a lot of restraint as it gradually introduces more and more ominous elements to ratchet up the paranoia. But stumbles badly in the final act, when the found footage element kicks in full-blast. I've heard plenty about the banality of evil. But the dreaded Tarsus group seems especially silly after so much heavy-handed build-up about them running the world. Their gathering is more like a 20-year fraternity reunion where everyone stands around drinking and laughing about their larger waistlines and receding hairlines. The final coda feels especially hollow. And a sketchy performance by one of the two leads doesn't help either.

33. The Blair Witch Project 5/5--14 subsequent years of uninspired, mediocre found footage rip-offs have illuminated some things that should have been obvious about this film all along. First and foremost, the performances here are really first-rate. It seems like a simple, common sense thing to do. But so few of these movies are smart enough to cast actors who pretty much ARE the characters they're playing. It gives TBWP a remarkable authenticity because you never notice anyone "acting" in the traditional, theatrical sense. The plot is also exceptionally well handled, mostly because it takes the time to allow the characters to unravel in a slow, methodical, believable way. Unlike lesser films it's not in a rush to get to cheap shocks. I certainly understand how the media circus surrounding the film turned off some potential fans. But I suspect that most of the folks who mock TBWP and deny its creepiness have never watched it in an appropriate atmosphere--meaning either in a theater or in a quiet, dark room alone. I saw this in the first few days after its release in a packed house. And I've never experienced anything quite like it before. By the middle of the film the entire audience was quiet and engrossed in the story. I don't think a scarier movie has been released in the past 20 years. There are no boo-type James Wan scares. But the feelings of creeping dread that it invokes stick with you for a long time after the credits roll.

10/22

34. Puppet Master II 4/5--Holy revelation Batman! After watching this for years on the horrific full-frame, washed-out DVD I honestly can't believe how much better it plays on Blu-ray. The cheap, cheesy vibe is gone. It now looks sensational. And it plays much more like a worthy homage to classic horror films than a cut-rate, cynical ripoff. Awesome puppet design doesn't get enough credit. I particularly like Torch, Blade, and Pinhead. And Toulon's masked look absolutely reeks of gothic horror--and favorably recalls Vincent Price in House Of Wax. Richard Band's score is better than I remembered too. Definitely suffers from some amateurish performances. But overall this is great seasonal fun.

10/23

35. The Monster Club 4/5--Truly unique anthology film is more of a time capsule than almost any other film. Combines geriatric stars Vincent Price and John Carradine with party atmosphere and contemporary music. Appropriately tacky pop interludes seem like a product of the MTV era--but they pre-date the channel's launch. Somehow all the incongruity results in a memorable film. Framing story contains a lot of juvenile humor that make the stories themselves seem goofier than they are. But they're really not any more arch than some of the stories in The House That Dripped Blood or From Beyond The Grave. James Laurenson makes a strong impression as the pitiable Shadmock. And Donald Pleasence is at his scene-stealing best in the middle vampire segment. Last story features some disturbing, nightmarish moments. And it all wraps up with Price and Carradine dancing to reggae/rock music. Is it just me? Or is Price making fun of the enormous fat woman? A lot of fun depending upon your tastes.

10/24

36. A Candle For The Devil* 4/5--Horror Express's Eugenio Martin returns with another winner. Sexually repressed, religious zealot spinster finds fault with the nubile young foreign women who frequent her hotel. And it's pretty easy to figure out when she's displeased. Aurora Batista makes a convincingly nutty villain. And Esperanza Roy is sympathetic as her mousy, submissive sister. Enjoyable final act ends things on a high note.

37. Friday The 13th Part VII 2/5--Lousy film is indicative of all the things I don't like about this series. Teenage cast is just another group of sketchily-drawn sacrificial lambs. And it's assembled in the most unimaginative, by-the-numbers manner. If you're going to cast a character who's initially supposed to be sympathetic only to be revealed as something else later on, why the hell would you cast the creepiest-looking dude you can find? This is lowest common denominator film-making all-around. Final half hour earns it the second star. It's a nonstop orgy of nasty, convincing violence. And the zombie Jason is impressive-looking. I agree with those who argue that Lar Park Lincoln is one of the better heroines in the series too. But aside from those few positives there's not much else to enjoy here. I'll take Halloween 6 over this any day.

10/25

38. Blue Eyes Of The Broken Doll 4/5--Sleazy Spanish giallo features Paul Naschy doing what he does best. It's not hard to guess what will happen when Naschy takes a job as a handyman in a house inhabited by three man-starved sisters. Well shot on location and relatively stylish despite a lack of elaborate murders. The soundtrack makes very effective use of the nursery melody Frere Jacques during the stalking scenes. Probably more appealing to Naschy fans than giallo diehards. But I find this one very enjoyable.

39. Scars of Dracula 4/5--Last of Hammer's period Draculas is often dismissed as inferior. But despite some serious flaws it's another entertaining entry. Lee looks more cadaverous than ever. And this time he's seriously pissed off. He dispatches one person via enthusiastic stabbing and even disfigures Klove with a scalding hot sword. Jenny Hanley makes a fetching damsel in distress. And her magnificent cleavage has a prominent role in the latter part of the film. Definitely suffers from the absence of Peter Cushing or a strong substitute like Andrew Keir. And way too reliant on ludicrous bat puppets. But James Bernard turns in another good score. And Roy Ward Baker keeps things moving at a snappy pace. Proof that Hammer had a winning formula with this series.

*first-time viewing
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #551
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
10/19
33. The Blair Witch Project 5/5--14 subsequent years of uninspired, mediocre found footage rip-offs have illuminated some things that should have been obvious about this film all along. First and foremost, the performances here are really first-rate. It seems like a simple, common sense thing to do. But so few of these movies are smart enough to cast actors who pretty much ARE the characters they're playing. It gives TBWP a remarkable authenticity because you never notice anyone "acting" in the traditional, theatrical sense. The plot is also exceptionally well handled, mostly because it takes the time to allow the characters to unravel in a slow, methodical, believable way. Unlike lesser films it's not in a rush to get to cheap shocks. I certainly understand how the media circus surrounding the film turned off some potential fans. But I suspect that most of the folks who mock TBWP and deny its creepiness have never watched it in an appropriate atmosphere--meaning either in a theater or in a quiet, dark room alone. I saw this in the first few days after its release in a packed house. And I've never experienced anything quite like it before. By the middle of the film the entire audience was quiet and engrossed in the story. I don't think a scarier movie has been released in the past 20 years. There are no boo-type James Wan scares. But the feelings of creeping dread that it invokes stick with you for a long time after the credits roll.
I couldn't have put it better myself. I've seen the majority of the found footage films released since this and none come close, with maybe the exception of Paranormal Activity, to capturing the level of authenticity that Blair Witch has. Found Footage is a sub genre that needs to be story/character driven over the cheap boo scares that have watered it down so much.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #552
old-boo-radley
They stay the same age...

62. Ghoulies IV

I have avoided this one for 20 years, but it's actually a bit of a hoot. A retarded hoot, but a hoot no less.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #553
spawningblue
Deadite

SPAWNINGBLUE'S 2013 OCTOBER HORROR MOVIE WATCHING

Bold = first time viewing. Rating out of 10.

October
The Fog (1980) 9/10
This Is the End (2013) 7.5/10
The Boogens (1981) 7/10
V/H/S 2 (2013) 7/10
Frankenstein's Army (2013) 6/10
The Lords of Salem (2013) 4.5/10
Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! S:1 - What a Night for a Knight (1969) 6.5/10
The American Scream (2012) 7/10
Campfire Tales (1991) 5.5/10
The Real Ghostbusters S:1 - Mrs. Rogers Neighbourhood (1986) 6/10
The Simpsons S:24 – Treehouse of Horror XXIII (2012) 4/10
The Simpsons S:25 – Treehouse of Horror XXIV (2013) 5/10
Bob’s Burgers S:4 – Fort Night (2013) 6/10
Halloween Wars S:3 – Zombie Prom (2013) 6.5/10
The Nest (1988) 6.5/10
Ticks (1993) 7/10
Planet of the Vampires (1965) 7/10
Crystal Lake Memories (2013) 8/10
Garfield's Halloween Adventure (1985) 7.5/10
Sharknado (2013) 3/10
The Real Ghostbusters S:1 - Silmer, Come Home (1986) 6/10
The Real Ghostbusters S:1 - Troll Bridge (1986) 7/10
Home Improvement S:2 - Haunting of Taylor House (1992) 7/10
Monster House (2006) 6/10
Let's Scare Jessica to Death (1971) 7/10
Triangle (2009) 7.5/10
War of the Worlds (1953) 7.5/10
Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! S:1 - Hassle in the Castle (1969) 7/10
Every Other Day is Halloween (2009) 6/10
Halloween Wars S:3 – Twisted Nursery Rhymes (2013) 7/10
Tales That Witness Madness (1973) 6/10
The Amityville Horror (1979) 7.5/10
Home Improvement S:3 - Crazy for You (1993) 8.5/10
Dance of the Dead (2008) 7/10
Witch's Brew (2011) 6/10
The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) 2/10
Dark Skies (2013) 8/10
The Real Ghostbusters S:1 - When Halloween Was Forever (1986) 7.5/10
Halloween Wars S:3 – Swamp Creatures Attack (2013) 7/10
Roseanne S:2 - Boo! (1989) 9/10
Hocus Pocus (1993) 6.5/10
Roseanne S:3 - Trick or Treat (1989) 8/10
Sinister (2012) 6.5/10

Home Improvement S:3 - Crazy for You (1993) - My favourite Home Improvement Halloween episode, and one my favourite Halloween specials in general. I probably rated this one a little low as I really enjoy it. This time around everyone is pulling a big prank on Tim, convincing him that he has an obsessed fan named Rose. Don't worry, this isn't a spoiler as they give it away right away which is a real shame as I think it would have worked better and been a little scarier if we weren't in on the joke. There are some great pranks at play here, the decorations and costumes are a real step up from the dollar store variety from last season, and even though it's spoiled for us, they do a great job at making it creepy for TIm. I love the scene where he sees Rose at the party, but when he goes to show Jill, Rose is gone with a hanging skeleton with a rose in it's mouth in her place. I also really enjoy the transitions they use for their Halloween episodes, great stuff!

Dance of the Dead (2008) - I watched this movie and the next one with some friends and beers and I think they were perfect choices for the occasion. This movie was a lot of fun with teens fighting off zombies during their prom. Considering the budget on this one was rather low I would assume, the movie was surprisingly well done with great gore effects and zombie makeup. I love the scene where the zombies first start coming out from the ground, instead of slowly crawling out, they blast out chasing the kids through the foggy graveyard. The dialog and teens were not too annoying for the most part, covering many of the clichés you would expect while at the same time parodying them. There were some decent surprises as well, especially who ends up surviving. Overall, a lot of fun!

Witch's Brew (2011) - This movie was extremely low budget but again worked rather well considering. This was another fun movie about a pair of guys running a local brewery who accidentally run over a witches cat who in retaliation places a curse on their home brew. This leads to all kinds of disgusting gore soaked gags that run the gamut of imagination. Everything from a man shitting out his innards, to a werewolf at a bar, to a zombie woman biting off a date rapists penis, all done with glorious practical effects. Yes, this movie delivers the grossness in spades! The acting wasn't the best at times, but thankfully the script kept it moving at at a nice pace that it was never bothersome. I'm not usually a fan of modern low budget affairs, but this one comes highly recommended.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) - Even though I have heard most of the songs from this movie multiple times, and seen several scenes, I have never actually sat down and watched it from beginning to end. I'm not a huge fan of musicals, actually I'm not a fan at all, so this was never a high priority on my list, but considering its cult status, I thought what better time to watch it then this Oct.? Well sorry Rocky fans, but I didn't like this one at all! It was actually a chore to get through. The story was so out there and all over the place, planet Transvestite!? Aliens in drag!? A greased up muscular guy as the monster!? It's too bad because it started out okay. The opening song was very David Bowie esque, then the couple get stranded in the rain only to come upon a castle where a hunchback character answers the door. I was sold! Unfortunately I was under the impression always this movie was about a couple partying with monsters in a castle, not alien transvestites haha! The acting was pretty bad from most, as was the story and songs. Even Meatloaf seems off key here! None of the quirky humour really worked for me, and other then a few songs and Tim Curry's excellent performance, the movie was a drag, no pun intended. I don't understand why this movie has such a cult following!? Continue to enjoy it Rocky fans, but I think I will stick to my own cult favourites thank you very much.

Dark Skies (2013) - I'm a big fan of the production house behind this film, Blumhouse Productions. I love the way they work, they give a Director a meagre budget, in this case $3.5 million, leave them alone, and watch as the movies rakes in 10 or more times its budget. They have been on quite the streak lately, this year alone releasing big horror hits The Purge and Insidious Chapter 2. I mention all of this because this film although bringing in a healthy profit, kind of flew under the radar. it's a film that critics didn't take too kindly too, which is pretty standard for horror movies, but surprisingly neither did the fans, and after watching it I can't understand why? This is one of my favourite horror films this year, and one of the best alien abduction movies I have seen, sitting right up there with Fire in the Sky. I love how they cover all the alien standards but with their own little twists. There's the weird symbols, this time appearing on their kitchen wall created from various food products, electronics in the house acting up, in this case their alarm system, strange markings on their bodies, lost time, missing photographs, flocks of birds hitting their house, ect. all of it is done very well, very creepy, and somewhat unique. And unlike most abduction films, this one never slows down, it just continues to amp up until the frightening conclusion in their house during the 4th of July. If you passed on this one due to the lukewarm reviews I recommend you ignore them and give this film a chance.

The Real Ghostbusters S:1 - When Halloween Was Forever (1986) - This was a highlight episodes, and the first one that actually takes place on Halloween. It's about a pumpkin headed ghost named Samhain, who's plan is to slow down time and make Halloween day last forever, allowing all matter of ghosts and goblins to roam free. I love the creative stories the writers come up with to keep this show fun and fresh every episode and this was another great example of that.

Halloween Wars S:3 – Swamp Creatures Attack (2013) - Another week, another episode of Halloween Wars. Once again the grey team is well liked (at least their second sculpture was actually decent this time) while the green team is ignored. This episode the guest judge was the writer of True Blood, yawn. I can't take book series seriously when the lead character's name is Sookie Stackhouse.

Roseanne S:2 - Boo! - I watch and comment on this episode year, not sure what much I can add. This is my favourite Halloween special and it's a blast to watch if you are a fan of Halloween The great sets, decorations, costumes, humor, and of course the prank war. I really need to get on starting an annual Halloween prank war so I can be crowned the King of Halloween! Roseanne stated that they would try to cheapen out a little bit on every episode throughout the year so that they would have lots of money to do their Halloween episodes, and the love and passion for the holiday really comes through especially with this episode. For those that you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it whether you are a fan of Roseanne or not.

Hocus Pocus (1993) - I haven't seen this since I was a child but I haven'tad fun revisiting it. It wasn't great or anything but was enjoyable enough, and surprisingly not too childish. Actually there are quite a few things on display here that are questionable for children, the movie opens up with a young girl having the life sucked out of her and the witches being hung, Sarah Jessica Parker's character is a slutty witch, and there are several adult jokes throughout. I love the celebration of Halloween in every frame, the costumes and sets were all well done, the zombie looked great, and there is a really atmospheric scene near the end where Sarah Jessica's Parker's character sings a lullaby that hypnotizes all the children, leading them through the streets in their pyjamas using jack o' lanterns to light the pathway.

Roseanne S:3 - Trick or Treat - This episode isn't as Halloween oriented as the rest of Roseanne's yearly specials, but it was still great and very funny. Jackie and Roseanne end up getting stranded at a bar, the catch being that Roseanne is dressed as a man unbeknownst to everyone else. She uses her disguise to mingle around the bar and find out what men really talk about when women aren't present, as well takes a trip into the mens washroom. This all leads to many hilarious comedic moments. It's thankfully not completely Halloween free either ,as Dan and the kids are at a Halloween party at the lodge. The daughters both have some cool and horrific costumes but Dan's is the real highlight, coming as not one but all three stooges!

Sinister (2012) - As mentioned above, I am a big fan of anything Blumhouse Productions has released so I was really excited to finally see Sinister. This gets off to a creepy start, showing a family hung from a tree. We are then introduced to a non fiction horror writer played by Ethan Hawke who has recently moved into the house where the murder took place, much to the dismay of his family and the local police. He finds a box of film reels in the attic and discovers that they contain several murders on them, including the hanging from the beginning. The movie has slowly builds tension throughout, with the creepiest moments as he views the films. These scenes are very effective as you hear nothing but the sound of the projector running, unfortunately sometimes they are slightly ruined by adding a score in the background that didn't always work. Where the movie really falls apart though is when the ghost kids show up, and the story ends up being pretty standard fare. I don't know what the Director was thinking showing ghost kids running in slow motion, was that supposed to be scary!?

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast

Last edited by spawningblue; 10-28-2013 at 11:16 PM.
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:31 PM   #554
crikan
HackMaster

** = first time viewing
10/01 - Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988) 5/10
10/02 - Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989) 6/10
10/03 - The Awful Dr. Orlof (1962) 4/10 **
10/04 - Black Sunday (1960) **
10/05 - World War Z [Unrated] (2013) 6/10 **
10/05 - Stripperland (2011) 4/10 **
10/06 - A Bay of Blood (1971) 8/10 **
10/07 - Female Vampire (1973) 1/10 **
10/08 - Student Bodies (1981) 5/10 **
10/09 - Return to Horror High (1987) 6/10 **
10/10 - Kill Baby, Kill (1966) **
10/11 - Lisa and the Devil (1973) **
10/11 - The Hitchhiker: A Whole New You (1991) 1/10 **
10/12 - The Hitchhiker: True Believer (1986) 4/10 **
10/12 - The Hitchhiker: W.G.O.D. (1985) 5/10 **
10/12 – Doctor Jekyll vs. The Wolfman (1972) 6/10 **
10/13 - Crimson (The Man with the Severed Head) (1973) 1/10 **
10/13 – Berserker: The Nordic Curse (Berserker) (1987) 4/10 **
10/14 – Victims! (1985) 4/10 **
10/15 – Elvira's Movie Macabre: The House That Screamed (1969) 7/10 **
10/16 – Elvira's Movie Macabre: Maneater of Hydra (Island of the Doomed) (1967) 3/10 **
10/17 – Death Ship (1980) 5/10 **
10/18 – Ghost Ship (2002) 6/10
10/18 – Wrong Turn (2003) 6/10 **
10/19 – Wrong Turn 2: Dead End (2007) 6/10 **
10/19 – Wrong Turn 3: Left for Dead (2009) 2/10 **
10/20 – Tombs of the Blind Dead [Spanish Uncut] (1972) 6/10 **
10/21 – The House by the Cemetery (1981) 6/10 **
10/21 – This Is the End (2013) 8/10 **
10/21 – Seeding of a Ghost (Zhong gui) (1983) 7/10 **
10/22 – The Killer Snakes (She sha shou) (1975) 4/10 **
10/22 – The Night of the Sorcerers (La noche de los brujos) (1974) 6/10 **
10/23 – Evil Dead II (1987) 5/10 **
10/23 – Evil Head (2012) **
10/23 – Kiss of the Damned (2012) 9/10 **
10/24 – Babysitter Massacre (2013) 4/10 **
10/24 – Cyrus: Mind of a Serial Killer (Cyrus) (2010) 8/10 **
10/25 – Wrong Turn 4: Bloody Beginnings [Unrated] (2011) 7/10 **
10/25 – Wrong Turn 5: Bloodlines (2012) 5/10 **
10/25 - Beverly Hills Vamp (1989) 6/10 **
10/ - Highschool of the Dead (2010) 6/10 **
10/26 – The Evil of Frankenstein (1964) 5/10 **
10/26 - Night Creatures (1962) 7/10 **
10/26 - Masters of Horror S1: Sick Girl (2006) 6/10 **
10/26 - Masters of Horror S1: Deer Woman (2005) 7/10 **
10/26 - Masters of Horror S2: Pelts (2006) 5/10 **

Masters of Horror S1: Sick Girl (2006) 6/10 **
A story about an evil bug with the ability to change people's behavior, a commentary on the dangers of moving into a relationship too quickly.

The majority of the 59 minutes was spent fleshing out the relationship between an awkward lesbian couple. It was just quirky enough to be entertaining and it didn’t hurt that Misty Mundae is adorable. The payoff at the end was worth the wait.

Masters of Horror S1: Deer Woman (2005) 7/10 **
A harried, burned-out cop believes that a recent string of murders prove that the murderer might be a deer-like creature in the form of a beautiful woman right from a local Native America folklore legend.

This episode has a wonderful sense of humor. Its consistently funny and twisted. And damn that Deer Woman is hot. The first six episodes of Masters of Horror Season 1 is gold.

Masters of Horror S2: Pelts (2006) 5/10 **
A sleazy, desperate fur trader who haunts a local strip club, gets his hands on some priceless raccoon furs that might be more than just priceless but cursed.

I don’t like commenting on acting because I don’t feel qualified. That said, there are some really cool things in PELTS but most of it ruined by the acting. There are some amazing gore sequences and cool sets, but I just didn’t come together for me.

Last edited by crikan; 10-28-2013 at 09:34 PM.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #555
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) -...sorry Rocky fans, but I didn't like this one at all! It was actually a chore to get through. The story was so out there and all over the place, planet Transvestite!? Aliens in drag!? A greased up muscular guy as the monster!? It's too bad because it started out okay. The opening song was very David Bowie esque, then the couple get stranded in the rain only to come upon a castle where a hunchback character answers the door. I was sold! Unfortunately I was under the impression always this movie was about a couple partying with monsters in a castle, not alien transvestites haha! The acting was pretty bad from most, as was the story and songs. Even Meatloaf seems off key here! None of the quirky humour really worked for me, and other then a few songs and Tim Curry's excellent performance, the movie was a drag, no pun intended. I don't understand why this movie has such a cult following!? Continue to enjoy it Rocky fans, but I think I will stick to my own cult favourites thank you very much.
wait wait...are you trying to comment on Rocky Horror Picture Show based on the FILM itself? Well of course it's terrible! The cult following it's earned is due to the audience participation factor. Things like covering your head with newspaper and shooting water pistols in the air (for "There's a Light..."), or doing the Time Warp in the aisles. As for sitting down and just watching this incoherent mess of a movie? No thanks

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote