Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > Classic

Old 10-13-2012, 01:20 AM   #106
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
From what I've read the problem on PotO is that three strip technicolor is literally three strips of film; one for each color. Over time these shrink and physically change in various ways but not equally. So after some time they are ever so slightly off. It's possible to restore but that's something that can change from reel to reel, shot by shot, frame by frame. I.E. money.

Something like Wizard of Oz or Gone with the Wind has been properly corrected but Universal is not spending that kind of cash on their second tier Phantom. Hell he didn't even make most of the DVD boxsets and we're lucky to get it on Blu at all I guess.
You hit it on the head. Fixing this requires frame-by-frame re-alignment of the 3 strips (since the shrinking is anything but uniform). And since it sounds like the most serious issues are confined to a few sequences I'm sure they figured it wasn't worth the fuss and cost to correct them.

I'm going to watch this disc tonight. I'll comment later on the severity of the issues. It sounds like they're not too bad unless you're viewing the disc projected onto an enormous screen. Hopefully that's the case.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:26 AM   #107
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
You hit it on the head. Fixing this requires frame-by-frame re-alignment of the 3 strips (since the shrinking is anything but uniform). And since it sounds like the most serious issues are confined to a few sequences I'm sure they figured it wasn't worth the fuss and cost to correct them.

I'm going to watch this disc tonight. I'll comment later on the severity of the issues. It sounds like they're not too bad unless you're viewing the disc projected onto an enormous screen. Hopefully that's the case.
That's definitely not my situation. I have a 42" plasma.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:31 AM   #108
shape22
HackMaster

I just finished watching Phantom. On my 52" LCD screen I saw occasional minor color bleeding. But it's not constant or overly distracting. If you don't pay attention to the outlines of white objects you might not notice it at all.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #109
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
Whoa. The 3D version of my UK disc works fine, but I haven't tried the 2D version yet. Very curious to see if this is another Star Trek S1/ Twilight Zone S1 pressing issue or a firmware issue. Universal doesn't need this headache, especially with the delay of the Hitchcock collection.
Creature 2D plays fine in my Oppo BDP-83. No strangeness in the 58:00-1:00:00 interval or anywhere else. This could be a player-related situation for some like The Hammer Horror Series DVDs.

As far as the transfer goes it's a really mixed bag. Pieces of the same shots are vastly different in quality (a razor sharp shot's continuation will be blurry as if it's from a much lesser source). It can't be related to the camera technology since it literally happens within the same shots. I've never seen anything exactly like it before.

The new (to home video) widescreen framing is definitely a huge plus. It looks like a much more modern movie now. And as far as that reviewer's comments about the Creature suit looking fake, I don't buy that at all. More detail is present than ever before. And the suit really looks astoundingly good from all angles. These Blu-ray presentations really make it easy to appreciate the artistry that made these films enduring classics.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #110
baggio
HackMaster

Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection

$64.99 at Amazon.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #111
Jack_Burton
Screamy Bopper

Must get this set!
Jack_Burton is offline   Reply With Quote