Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 07-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #16
HoldenMcNeil
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
The crazy thing about this is that the mask for 4 was again converted (poorly) from a Don Post Captain Kirk mask (likely a later version than the 75 that was converted for the original Halloween). The eye cuts are obviously way too small, the neck is way too long, and the hair and hair line are terribly done.

Anyone who doubts they used a converted Kirk should check out the schoolhouse scene near the end where Myers grabs Loomis and throws him (one of the first scenes shot for H4). You can clearly see that the mask still had blonde hair.
oh man as a kid I literally had arguments with my friend's about that scene. of course when the first dvd tin was released I had to take a screenshot and send it to my friends who argued with me all those years ago.

It's only an island if you look at it from the water.

37!!!

You Mean the Movie Lied!?
HoldenMcNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:03 PM   #17
deepred
Maniac

He also looks like his mask was dipped in white-out in part 4. Look at those awful lips on the mask too! I like Michael with a fuller mouth.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	h4.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	6463  
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:03 PM   #18
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldenMcNeil View Post
oh man as a kid I literally had arguments with my friend's about that scene. of course when the first dvd tin was released I had to take a screenshot and send it to my friends who argued with me all those years ago.
Nice! A lot of people seem to miss it even though it's extremely apparent when you're looking for it. Of course, I don't fault those who aren't as captivated by the many faces of Myers as I am. Ha.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #19
deepred
Maniac

Where did they get the pictures of Michael that they used for the posters of 4 and 5? Did they just take images of him from the previous 2 because he looks great on the posters for the films.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:27 PM   #20
shape22
HackMaster

The original source of those cover images is the H4 novelization cover:

http://halloweenmovie.wikia.com/wiki...ovelization%29

Some say that's a picture of the original hero mask, which is very possible. But to me it looks like a very skilled artist's rendition of a picture of the hero. Almost everyone agrees that the H4 and H5 poster images ARE artists' renditions of the cover image from that novelization. That theory is supported by someone who tried matching up the novelization cover image with the H4 poster image at Michael-Myers.net by laying them on top of each other. There are numerous subtle differences between the two.

Both poster images look slightly "meaner" than the hero mask from the original Halloween. And that particular look has prompted a slew of indie mask projects (the Samhain and Maniac are two of the more famous ones).
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #21
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepred View Post
He also looks like his mask was dipped in white-out in part 4. Look at those awful lips on the mask too! I like Michael with a fuller mouth.
Holy cow, never noticed the contrast so much but it's awful.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:42 PM   #22
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
The original source of those cover images is the H4 novelization cover:

http://halloweenmovie.wikia.com/wiki...ovelization%29

Some say that's a picture of the original hero mask, which is very possible. But to me it looks like a very skilled artist's rendition of a picture of the hero. Almost everyone agrees that the H4 and H5 poster images ARE artists' renditions of the cover image from that novelization. That theory is supported by someone who tried matching up the novelization cover image with the H4 poster image at Michael-Myers.net by laying them on top of each other. There are numerous subtle differences between the two.

Both poster images look slightly "meaner" than the hero mask from the original Halloween. And that particular look has prompted a slew of indie mask projects (the Samhain and Maniac are two of the more famous ones).
Very cool, I can totally see the similarities.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:41 AM   #23
chancetx
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
I hate the revisionist love for this subpar film. I think if it wasn't a Halloween film it would be just another weird little film from the 80's that doesn't quite work.
I imagine for many of us, we grew up watching endless repeats of this on cable television in the 1980s so nostalgia is a big factor. I remember that damn 'X more days to Halloween' song playing endlessly on cable promos for the movie.

While I agree the movie is a weird mess that doesn't hold up at the end, I still enjoy it more than most of the Michael Myers sequels. For me it's the atmosphere, music, cinematography - it just feels like the end of a certain era of horror filmmaking that was bypassed for cynical Hollywood cash-ins. Yes, this was a cash-in but much more creative and original than most.
chancetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:53 AM   #24
MisterTwister
HackMaster

I think I'm the only person who loves the H4 mask.

as for Season of the Witch, one of my favorite 80's horror flicks.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:01 AM   #25
Erick H.
HackMaster

I've always liked part 3 and I saw it when it was new,so no revisionist love from me.The film has more to do with INVASION OF THE BODYSNATCHERS than HALLOWEEN.The studio didn't do enough to prepare people for the "No M. Meyers" scenario so it's no surprise a lot of people were (and remain) pissed about it.I saw a screening at the Carolina Theater in Durham a couple of years ago (a gorgeous 35mm print) and it was packed,got a great reaction.Tom Atkins always gets a lot of love from fans !

It's never gonna work with some people,and that's fine.I still wonder if it would have gotten the original negative buzz though if the film was released under the title of simply SEASON OF THE WITCH ,if it would have been seen more as it's own thing and not judged as a HALLOWEEN sequel.Nigel Kneale(QUATERMASS) wrote the first draft of the screenplay.

Regarding straight up M. Meyers sequels to HALLOWEEN ,Pt. 4 is my favorite.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #26
rijir
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick H. View Post
I've always liked part 3 and I saw it when it was new,so no revisionist love from me.The film has more to do with INVASION OF THE BODYSNATCHERS than HALLOWEEN.The studio didn't do enough to prepare people for the "No M. Meyers" scenario so it's no surprise a lot of people were (and remain) pissed about it.I saw a screening at the Carolina Theater in Durham a couple of years ago (a gorgeous 35mm print) and it was packed,got a great reaction.Tom Atkins always gets a lot of love from fans !

It's never gonna work with some people,and that's fine.I still wonder if it would have gotten the original negative buzz though if the film was released under the title of simply SEASON OF THE WITCH ,if it would have been seen more as it's own thing and not judged as a HALLOWEEN sequel.Nigel Kneale(QUATERMASS) wrote the first draft of the screenplay.

Regarding straight up M. Meyers sequels to HALLOWEEN ,Pt. 4 is my favorite.
I saw it in its initial release in '82 as well. So I don't see how I am a revisionist. I enjoyed it then. Even bought the soundtrack on LP.

I guess the only problem with calling it just "Season of the Witch" is confusion with Romero's film of that name (which I have never seen).
rijir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #27
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijir View Post
I saw it in its initial release in '82 as well. So I don't see how I am a revisionist. I enjoyed it then. Even bought the soundtrack on LP.
Same here! Fangoria clued me in to what the plot would be and I also bought the paperback book before seeing the film (on a double bill with VIDEODROME). Really liked it. I remember seriously doubting John Carpenter did not direct it because it felt like one of his movies in terms of mood, music and all that.
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #28
Buechlers_beard
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldenMcNeil View Post
Yes. That was the original mask used in Halloween 1&2. Used for that scene only. Apparently it was in too bad a shape (pun) and they quickly made a new one.... that looked like shit! with sideburns for some reason!!!
Buechlers_beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:09 PM   #29
rijir
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wago70 View Post
Same here! Fangoria clued me in to what the plot would be and I also bought the paperback book before seeing the film (on a double bill with VIDEODROME). Really liked it. I remember seriously doubting John Carpenter did not direct it because it felt like one of his movies in terms of mood, music and all that.
The early 80s were truly a fun time for horror fans weren't they? And most theaters were privately owned which meant they would sell tickets to anyone to go see R rated movies.

I rarely see a horror film made these days that I want to see again yet alone own.
rijir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:06 AM   #30
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijir View Post
The early 80s were truly a fun time for horror fans weren't they? And most theaters were privately owned which meant they would sell tickets to anyone to go see R rated movies.

I rarely see a horror film made these days that I want to see again yet alone own.
Very true statement!
Shannafey is online now   Reply With Quote