Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 06-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #151
fceurich39
HackMaster

just got word from IFC/MPI that Maniac Remake will be a Halloween treat in October!!!
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:18 PM   #152
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fceurich39 View Post
just got word from IFC/MPI that Maniac Remake will be a Halloween treat in October!!!
nice!
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:59 AM   #153
ReelFear
Maniac

So I had a ticket to see this on Halloween 2012 in NYC. But hurricane Sandy hit that week and the phone lines at Lincoln Center were down, so I couldn't confirm if the movie was still screening and I was in Jersey so I didn't go. I found out later that it did screen and I've been kicking myself ever since. Well I finally saw the MANIAC remake last weekend. My opinion is.. If this was not a remake, it would be an instant horror classic. But it is a remake, and therefore i could not help comparing it to one of the all time great slashers. I'll say this much. The music and photography are brilliant. I was a bit disappointed with The casting of Elijah Wood. He did his best, but he's no Joe Spinell. I think I might grow to like him better in future viewings. Also the murders are not as good as the original. There's plenty of gore, but nothing stands out like the infamous shotgun scene. On the plus side, i actually felt a little scared for the first time in a looong time. This is a creepy, sleazy movie, and the film nailed the early 80's feel in many places. So although I seriously hate all these inferior remakes of classic horror films, the MANIAC remake is pretty damn good.
ReelFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:20 PM   #154
russweiss
Maniac

http://twitchfilm.com/2013/06/review...stic-gore.html

A review at Twitch.
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #155
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

I have to admit this was a very respectable remake. The POV style is what really makes this film stand out from other modern day slasher films, most of which that just seem to rip off better films in the subgenre. A nice amount of gore, nudity, and overall sleaze, and the little homages here and there gave me a good laugh as well ("Goodbye Horses" anyone?). That aside, it is far from a perfect film. Although Elijah Wood pulled off psychotic way better than I anticipated, there is a number of moments where he just goes way over the top and it becomes too campy for my taste. In addition, I felt the film could of done more to build its own identity, instead of recreating almost every sequence from the original, particularly the ending of the film.

Rating: 7/10
Old 06-27-2013, 01:20 AM   #156
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Yeah agreed....aside from Wood going a tad over board when he'd talk to himself, I thought he did great....far better than I had anticipated. His love interest totally bombed though..certainly no Caroline Munro. The only other complaint I have is they didn't even try and attempt a headshot scene...kinda disapointing. But other than that it stayed pretty true to the original with a few creative changes.

But yeah...this certainly was a great remake especially compared to the shit that is currently getting wide theatrical distribution.

I loved the opening...it really captures your attention quick. The gore was pretty good, no overtly noticeable CGI. I was cringing when that one chick was getting repeatidly stabbed in the back...that looked harsh as hell.

The soundtrack was the best part of the flick...totally blown away they decided on the all synth score...it also makes these flicks much more moody not having to hear some stock music cues or some totally generic orchestrated piece.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #157
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Due October 15th. Preorder now up on Amazon:

DVD: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ag=cinema09-20
Blu: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ag=cinema09-20

I was shocked by how much I liked this. I expected it to be too gimmicky, but I really think they pulled it off.
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #158
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

The blu is down to $12.93 at Amazon! Preorder locked.
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #159
Mr. Cole
Screamy Bopper

Not bad at all, would recommend this. I get the Drive/80s love. But can't get over the distracting soundtrack ripoff of the '82 cat people remake. Fantastic use of synths but come on....
Mr. Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #160
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cole View Post
Not bad at all, would recommend this. I get the Drive/80s love. But can't get over the distracting soundtrack ripoff of the '82 cat people remake. Fantastic use of synths but come on....
Ripoff?...I believe the word you intended to use is "homage".
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:18 AM   #161
cjg
Maniac

Blu preorder down to $10.96 at Amazon
cjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:19 AM   #162
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg View Post
Blu preorder down to $10.96 at Amazon
Awesome! Pre-ordered through the link at the top of the site!

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #163
shape22
HackMaster

I finally got a chance to check this out. It's very competently done. And it retains the original's commitment to realistic, nihilistic gore. I'd even argue that it's technically and dramatically superior to Lustig's original. The budding relationship between Frank and Anna is presented more realistically (for a while). And it's very slickly shot. Everyone would do well to check this out.

All that said, this movie doesn't have nearly the same impact as the original. It conjures very little of the sweaty, claustrophobic, grungy, sleazy feel that makes Lustig's movie such a unique work. And Wood's relatively reserved Zito isn't nearly as memorable as Joe Spinell's bug-eyed, perspiring loony. The protagonist and setting are so vividly characterized in the original. By comparison the remake is a much more generic work. It's a better film on an objective scale. But it doesn't resonate like the original. I don't believe it's as unsettling either. I'd much rather take my chances with Wood than Spinell.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:45 AM   #164
thing
Maniac

I didn't much like the original or this one. They are stylistically very different, I think I preferred the newer ones execution but wouldn't go above 4/10 for me.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #165
marcx
HackMaster

My review:

http://living24fps.wordpress.com/201...4/maniac-2013/